Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Online anonymity question

catfishpunter

Elite
Founder
What do you all use to maintain anonymity online? I use all three of these - CyberGhost VPN, Signal, Protonmail.

How do you pay online anonymously?

One other note, when you decide to cancel Rivals, go the extra step and call them and tell them to delete your account. This will scrub your username from the forums and replace it with a scrambled set of characters. I did this a few years ago to get rid of an account with about 10 years of posting history on it.

Last edited:

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
What do you all use to maintain anonymity online? I use all three of these.

One other note, when you decide to cancel Rivals, go the extra step and call them and tell them to delete your account. This will scrub your username from the forums and replace it with a scrambled set of characters. I did this a few years ago to get rid of an account with about 10 years of posting history on it.
Apparently this has become a necessary purchase in the past 12 hours thanks to the commies.

Recommendations appreciated!

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
As far as your question, that's a good question - in short, your basically not going to be able to pull it off without considerable planning.

Here is a book on the topic, most of the concepts roughly hold, all though its impossible to know which applications named in the books are still secure.

As far as paying anonymously, you can look into cryptocurrency - specifically monero - but basically you should always believe that nothing you do connected to any network is anonymous

croot_lord

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
What do you all use to maintain anonymity online? I use all three of these.

This is something I'll be looking into in the future. I would like to protect the posters on this site from being doxed. There is no perfect solution to this however we can definitely take steps to protect users here further than we already have. To those who donate none of your information will be shared and there is a way to mark your donation as anonymous. I have considered going so far as requiring users to use TOR to connect to the forum but this seemed like overkill.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
But for starters, you need a piece of hardware that cannot be traced to you - so if you buy a laptop at a store with a credit card you are connected.

If you buy a laptop with cash at a store and you are on camera you can be connected to that hardware.

And assuming you can get such a laptop, you would never ever want to connect to your home network unless you are an autistic savant when it comes to IT.

Most (if not all) VPNs are compromised in some form or fashion. So you would want to set up your own VPN with a remote server - but you would need to complete this process anonymously as well.

And you would never use any normal browser like chrome, or edge or even firefox. And never log into any personal accounts on that computer.

It goes on and on and I'm kinda all over the place here - but hopefully you see the point I'm trying to make. I'm only speaking of absolute online anonymity here though

croot_lord

Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I would like to make it clear that protecting user anonymity on this forum is important to the admins here. I can assure you that in the coming days we will be rolling out tools to make sure this happens.

I have been doing my best to keep up with the sudden influx of users and activity on this forum to make sure that everything continues to run smoothly for you guys here. Once I have everything running like it's supposed to I will take more steps to secure the site.

I have already done a few things like securing the actual server the site is hosted on and setting up SSL encryption. These are some basic things, but you'd be surprised how many websites don't take these steps.

If any of you have any recommendations I would be happy to hear them and do my best to implement them.

sipsey37

Poster
Founder
But for starters, you need a piece of hardware that cannot be traced to you - so if you buy a laptop at a store with a credit card you are connected.

If you buy a laptop with cash at a store and you are on camera you can be connected to that hardware.

And assuming you can get such a laptop, you would never ever want to connect to your home network unless you are an autistic savant when it comes to IT.

Most (if not all) VPNs are compromised in some form or fashion. So you would want to set up your own VPN with a remote server - but you would need to complete this process anonymously as well.

And you would never use any normal browser like chrome, or edge or even firefox. And never log into any personal accounts on that computer.

It goes on and on and I'm kinda all over the place here - but hopefully you see the point I'm trying to make. I'm only speaking of absolute online anonymity here though

So what would be some recommendations for someone who just wants to remain as anonymous as they can.

catfishpunter

Elite
Founder
So what would be some recommendations for someone who just wants to remain as anonymous as they can.

The original post had a few listed in there, but for some reason the thread didn't seem to work. I've added them back in and I'll list them now.

- Signal for text messaging
- Cyber Ghost VPN
- Proton Mail

No Alexa, Facebook Portal, or any of that other spyware crap in the house.

Probably switching back to a flip phone soon as well, but that's more to limit my daily "grab my phone when I'm bored" syndrome.

CBradSmith

Elite
Founder
The original post had a few listed in there, but for some reason the thread didn't seem to work. I've added them back in and I'll list them now.

- Signal for text messaging
- Cyber Ghost VPN
- Proton Mail

No Alexa, Facebook Portal, or any of that other spyware crap in the house.

Probably switching back to a flip phone soon as well, but that's more to limit my daily "grab my phone when I'm bored" syndrome.
My next phone will be a flip phone, but I'll likely keep a tablet with data on hand as a tool. It wont be with me at all times, mostly leave it at home in a drawer. Will pull it out when I anticipate needing to use it as a tool.

Dickheat

Poster
Best cellphone is Katim https://sensorstechforum.com/most-secure-smartphones-2019/#katim_review
Everyone else has mentioned browsers and VPN, but go with Tor Browser, or Brave. Brave is open source Google Chrome without Google spying and tracking. Kinda brilliant because Google thinks you have Chrome and you can download all their extensions and they work just like Chrome because of the open source.
Also, never ever use social media apps on your phone, or really any apps, always use the browser to access. Apps are for hyperactive kids.

Last edited:
Top Bottom