Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NY Strip vs Filet

ttyh

Legendary
Founder
I’ve recently been doing Steak Oscar with tenderloin filets that will knock your socks up and down. Did it for two family gatherings over the holidays and everyone cleared their plates. That’s a rarity for both sides of the fam.

That said, I typically judge a steakhouse by their strip.

Last edited:

TJHall1

Legendary
I’ve recently been doing Steak Oscar with tenderloin filets that will knock your socks up and down. Did it for two family gatherings over the holidays and everyone cleared their plates. That’s a rarity for both sides of the fam.

That said, I typically judge a steakhouse by their strip.
What is steak oscar?

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
I like it all but Ive been on a bone in ribeye or tomahawk chop kick going on 6 months. One chop can be 3 meals easily for me.
Anyone have a secret besides good salt and pepper?
Ive been doing a red pepper, soy, garlic, olive oil marinade. And been crushing it. I dont take pics if my food but i will next time

Last edited:

TJHall1

Legendary
I like it all but Ive been on a bone in ribeye or tomahawk chop kick going on 6 months. One choose cam be 3 meals easily for me.
Ive been doing a red pepper, soy, garlic, olive oil marinade. And been crushing it. I dont take pics if my food but i will next time
Not a marinade but if you don't have high quality steak you can make it more tender by rubbing with lime juice and then throwing on some tenderizer. Seal it up for at least an hour, I usually do all afternoon or overnight, and cook up as you would. Lime juice does an excellent job of breaking down the connective tissue. Just dry it off with a paper towel before seasoning and you don't taste even a hint of lime.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Not a marinade but if you don't have high quality steak you can make it more tender by rubbing with lime juice and then throwing on some tenderizer. Seal it up for at least an hour, I usually do all afternoon or overnight, and cook up as you would. Lime juice does an excellent job of breaking down the connective tissue. Just dry it off with a paper towel before seasoning and you don't taste even a hint of lime.
Yeah i use lime and lemon on rough cuts. I eat everything. Usually if its tough ill just slow roll the shit outta it.

ttyh

Legendary
Founder
Here are a couple of pics from Steak Oscar I did back in September. I usually only use lump meat but I had just that day caught, boiled and picked about 3 dozen Blue Crabs so I put a ton of meat in the sauce, both lump and claw.

50919348018_e7950d5c8f_m.jpg

50919348053_5abc3a3564_m.jpg

Mr. Goodtiger

Poster
The strip is definitely better imo, but harder to get right because it’s thinner on one side. But I love a lean cut too on occasion.

Agree with poster above who said they judge a steakhouse on their strip. It’s the best cut when cooked right.

The strip is definitely better imo, but harder to get right because it’s thinner on one side. But I love a lean cut too on occasion.

Agree with poster above who said they judge a steakhouse on their strip. It’s the best cut when cooked right.

when you are searing it use tongs to hold the thinner side off the grill or skillet for
1:30 -2min and one or both sides. It will get you closer to what you are looking for.

Carlscat

Elite
Founder
I like it all but Ive been on a bone in ribeye or tomahawk chop kick going on 6 months. One chop can be 3 meals easily for me.
Salt both sides. Pepper one side. Use this on the other side:
b1c1b8_a373eacc5fa442d49285d06e4db4278f~mv2.webp

Profit.

Top Bottom