Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NOLA food recs...

Carlscat

Elite
Founder
Taking the wife for her birthday and meeting two other couples. Flying in from San Diego on May 19th. Staying at the Ritz and renting a cabana at the Waldorf on the 20th. Made reservations at Arnaud’s that night, renting an air boat on Friday morning and having dinner at Peche Friday night. We don’t know what to do for lunch on Friday and don’t have anything set for Saturday. We leave a Sunday but fly out at 6 pm. Any recs for restaurants as well as a couple of touristy things would be awesome. I believe we are also doing to Absinthe and hit up Jackson Square at some point. Thanks.

Hannah Barron for your troubles...

f519f9f4d09d90fa896231975a2ccfbf.jpg

B6E9DA8A-36B8-4A65-8D4A-11F2E0EF5E94-28638-000010B8971543DE.jpeg

433F6D57-C52C-4DFD-A975-D38FDDD49B5A-4595-0000026144B41396.jpeg

Last edited:

skoerner

Poster
Taking the wife for her birthday and meeting two other couples. Flying in from San Diego on May 19th. Staying at the Ritz and renting a cabana at the Waldorf on the 20th. Made reservations at Arnaud’s that night, renting an air boat on Friday morning and having dinner at Peche Friday night. We don’t know what to do for lunch on Friday and don’t have anything set for Saturday. We leave a Sunday but fly out at 6 pm. Any recs for restaurants as well as a couple of touristy things would be awesome. I believe we are also doing to Absinthe and hit up Jackson Square at some point. Thanks...

f519f9f4d09d90fa896231975a2ccfbf.jpg

B6E9DA8A-36B8-4A65-8D4A-11F2E0EF5E94-28638-000010B8971543DE.jpeg

433F6D57-C52C-4DFD-A975-D38FDDD49B5A-4595-0000026144B41396.jpeg
Commander's Palace for lunch. It almost sounds cliche' but that's a fine dining experience by most standards. Before the virus they had a .25 martini lunch. Three was the limit because that was enough. Their rule. I haven't been since the shutdowns so I can't speak about the current state of affairs.

TheGratefulReb

Neanderthal in Chief
Founder
Can't go wrong with Commander's for any occasion. I think its the best white table cloth fine dining in NOLA. Arnaud's is in the same kind of category to me, so I think you're scratching off that kind of experience going there.

Peche is also great pick. Looking at the current menu with what they still have.....the whole fish dish is fire, so is the baked drum. The brussels were really good, but make sure you get the steak tartare with the oyster aioli.....so good!

If you want a Po-boy, go to either Parkway Bakery & Tavern or Domilise's.

Lots of places for an oyster bar, but my personal favorite is Pascale's Manale. Uptown T has been shucking them for 30 something years.

Other places off the top of my head that I love......Brigtsen's, Cochon, Cochon Butcher, Lily's Cafe (Vietnamese), MoPho (another Vietnamese....DANK pho), GW Fins, Casamento's, Dooky Chase, Herbsaint.

You can really just throw a dart at just about everything, and you'll leave quite satisfied. My favorite city for food in this country.

As far as things to do, you definitely need one afternoon of walking the Quarter/Jackson Square, and just popping in and out of the shops and art galleries. Make sure you spend some time on Royal Street and not just Bourbon Street. Frenchman Street is where you want to go if you want some music to watch.

edit: well done on the lady!

Nape

Elite
Founder
Can't go wrong with Commander's for any occasion. I think its the best white table cloth fine dining in NOLA. Arnaud's is in the same kind of category to me, so I think you're scratching off that kind of experience going there.

Peche is also great pick. Looking at the current menu with what they still have.....the whole fish dish is fire, so is the baked drum. The brussels were really good, but make sure you get the steak tartare with the oyster aioli.....so good!

If you want a Po-boy, go to either Parkway Bakery & Tavern or Domilise's.

Lots of places for an oyster bar, but my personal favorite is Pascale's Manale. Uptown T has been shucking them for 30 something years.

Other places off the top of my head that I love......Brigtsen's, Cochon, Cochon Butcher, Lily's Cafe (Vietnamese), MoPho (another Vietnamese....DANK pho), GW Fins, Casamento's, Dooky Chase, Herbsaint.

You can really just throw a dart at just about everything, and you'll leave quite satisfied. My favorite city for food in this country.

As far as things to do, you definitely need one afternoon of walking the Quarter/Jackson Square, and just popping in and out of the shops and art galleries. Make sure you spend some time on Royal Street and not just Bourbon Street. Frenchman Street is where you want to go if you want some music to watch.

edit: well done on the lady!
Throw in Willie Mae’s for some righteous fried chicken. So fucking good.

Cre8ive

Shaping the Future of Reality
Founder
Commander's Palace for lunch. It almost sounds cliche' but that's a fine dining experience by most standards. Before the virus they had a .25 martini lunch. Three was the limit because that was enough. Their rule. I haven't been since the shutdowns so I can't speak about the current state of affairs.
I had the pleasure of experiencing Commander's Palace and it was a 5 Star dinner hands down. Be sure to walk through the cemetery across the street - you can feel the energy of the spirits (if you had enough to drink).

skoerner

Poster
I had the pleasure of experiencing Commander's Palace and it was a 5 Star dinner hands down. Be sure to walk through the cemetery across the street - you can feel the energy of the spirits (if you had enough to drink).

I did that the last time we ate there. It's fascinating. Learning about how they bury people temporarily while they decompose in the hot brick vault (oven) and then they're bagged up and placed in the back with the rest of the family was very interesting. I think I got all of that right...

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder
Datdogs. Get the alligator dog with crawfish etoufee on top
That was actually the first thing I ate when I first lived in Nola. I’m talking I brought my suitcases in to the place before unpacking. I’ll never forget that damn hot dog.

Latest posts

Top Bottom