Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NASCAR guys: Busch Clash about to start

d-tiger45

I run shit around here
Founder
I'm a Newnan girl. Always have been. We have a good friend who was the the front right tire guy for Newman and he's who got me interested in Nascar.

He's come a long way since then (now with Penske) but I'm still sticking with Newnan.

Mildly amusing story...we were at Barrett Jackson (my husband is in the auto auction business and his company not named Manheim is a big sponsor) and I was on the stage and got to talk to Mike Joy for a while. My one tipsy request was that there be more Newman coverage. (I've had a few moments, including offering to teach Bubba Johnson to drive a stick after wearing him out on live TV to get him to bid again. What man can't drive a stick?!? That's why he didn't buy Bumblebee🤣) My husband was dying laughing at me. Sure enough, the next season, there was a bit more broadcasting attention paid to Newman. He's cool and it's nice that no matter how ridiculous, he paid attention and took my request seriously.

The only reason Newman is alive after that horrific crash last season is because of the Newman bar. He had engineering students at Perdue design it years ago after one of his early horrific crashes when he wound up on his roof with turf in his lap.

Another fun tidbit: Humpy Wheeler taught me how to drive a stick in a Toyota MR2. (Manual transmission, you pervs). This was before I had any interest in NASCAR. I worked for Bruton Smith for a short time.
I remember reading about the Newman bar. I legit cried when he tweeted a pic of him and his daughters leaving the hospital. I ws up til 3am after the 500 last year praying I wouldn’t see the news he was dead. After the wreck 125 times I was sure he was.

im from small ass town in SC and Bubba Wallace. Ws in town 4-5 years ago as he was dating a friend of mines niece . Super nice dude.

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder
So badass. There’s a guy in our area that has a Skittle Green (his words) Huracan. Ugly AF but that sound is unforgettable.

I can’t stand that car. Like you said, ugly is fuck. Guy back home had a white one and it is “Look at me, here I am!!!”

But, that always has been and always will be the point of a Lamborghini. Except for this.

1612926684972.jpeg

tgsio

Legendary
Founder
I remember reading about the Newman bar. I legit cried when he tweeted a pic of him and his daughters leaving the hospital. I ws up til 3am after the 500 last year praying I wouldn’t see the news he was dead. After the wreck 125 times I was sure he was.

im from small ass town in SC and Bubba Wallace. Ws in town 4-5 years ago as he was dating a friend of mines niece . Super nice dude.
I was sick with fear.

I lived in Salisbury, NC. my neighborhood had a bunch of NASCAR guys. Adam Petty's hauler driver lived across the street. He used to supply all of us with Coors light. He loved that boy and family. Talk about a sad time. Brutal.

I knew Gordon, the Allison boys, Nemechek, Newman, and Junior.

As much as it's changed over the years, it's still, at heart, family and friends doing what they love.

d-tiger45

I run shit around here
Founder
I lived in Salisbury, NC. my neighborhood had a bunch of NASCAR guys. Adam Petty's hauler driver lived across the street. Talk about a sad time. Brutal.

I knew Gordon, the Allison boys, Nemechek, Newman, and Junior.

As much as it's changed over the years, it's still, at heart, family and friends doing what they love.
The 45 in my name here is because of Adam. He was gonna be the driver his daddy wasn’t and damn near good as his granddad.

tgsio

Legendary
Founder
One is now a pit coach for stewart-haas. Other one I'm not sure anymore. Worked with Jimmy Johnson and Kyle busch in the past for multiple years.
I'm guessing one of your buddies worked with my friend.

He was the pit coach for SH until he went to Penske in 2019.

tgsio

Legendary
Founder
The 45 in my name here is because of Adam. He was gonna be the driver his daddy wasn’t and damn near good as his granddad.
He was an even better person. That family is truly lovely.

And, yes, you are correct in your assessment.

TJHall1

Legendary
I'm guessing one of your buddies worked with my friend.

He was the pit coach for SH until he went to Penske in 2019.
Maybe. But my buddies were both in Hendrick (that was Jimmies owner right?) pit crews I believe. He just recently became a pit coach i think.

tgsio

Legendary
Founder
Maybe. But my buddies were both in Hendrick (that was Jimmies owner right?) pit crews I believe. He just recently became a pit coach i think.
They all know each other. Hell, I talked to Hendrick a couple of years ago with a friend who knows him well and has long been a good friend with H. He kept looking at me and just knew he knows me from somewhere. And then... remembered me delivering a car from Bruton. (I was 19 at the time and had flat out forgotten about it). We had met and politely conversed a few times since, but that was what he remembered.

Few years later after that delivery...my husband is a bank manager in Salisbury. One of his clients painted helmets... including Gordon's. (Those things are heavy, btw) and introduced him to a new client who eventually put him on his then new career path... the hook was moving me back to Texas. And now, here we are full circle in Ohio.

It's a very tight knit community with surprisingly large outreach... that still welcomes you in.

Last edited:

d-tiger45

I run shit around here
Founder
They all know each other. Hell, I talked to Hendrick a couple of years ago with a friend who knows him well and has long been a good friend with H. He kept looking at me and just knew he knows me from somewhere. And then... remembered me delivering a car from Bruton. (I was 19 at the time and had flat out forgotten about it). We had met and politely conversed a few times since, but that was what he remembered.

Few years later after that delivery...my husband is a bank manager in Salisbury. One of his clients painted helmets... including Gordon's. (Those things are heavy, btw) and introduced him to a new client who eventually put him on his then new career path... the hook was moving me back to Texas. And now, here we are full circle in Ohio.

It's a very tight knit community with surprisingly large outreach... that still welcomes you in.
I just figured out your Texas girl in Ohio.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I can’t stand that car. Like you said, ugly is fuck. Guy back home had a white one and it is “Look at me, here I am!!!”

But, that always has been and always will be the point of a Lamborghini. Except for this.

View attachment 6203

The Miura is one of the sexiest cars ever made imo.
Miura_BLK-1024x683.jpg

lambo-miura-scenic.jpg

tgsio

Legendary
Founder
Racing is the one sport I have never really understood. I have tried numerous times and it just bores me to tears.
You need to go to a race in person. Seriously. Just one.

It's a blast and you will get sucked in.

Nape

Elite
Founder
Had it recorded and watched it later last night. It was great to see Blaney and Chase trading paint for the lead. That’s the way it is supposed to be. Being great friends makes it even more awesome.

I’m glad they are getting more road courses on the schedule. Road America is going to be a welcome addition this year (iirc). Would also love to see Mid-Ohio get a race over these cookie cutter, boring AF tracks like Kansas, Chicagoland(already lost race) etc.

MittRomneysDrawers

Poster
Founder
Had it recorded and watched it later last night. It was great to see Blaney and Chase trading paint for the lead. That’s the way it is supposed to be. Being great friends makes it even more awesome.

I’m glad they are getting more road courses on the schedule. Road America is going to be a welcome addition this year (iirc). Would also love to see Mid-Ohio get a race over these cookie cutter, boring AF tracks like Kansas, Chicagoland(already lost race) etc.

Chase and Blaney didn't even really argue much from what I saw. Being from Ohio, I'm a Blaney guy having grown up watching his grandpa Lou, Father Dave and Uncle Dale Blaney. Little known fact Dale Blaney was drafted by the LA Lakers back in the day. The brothers teamed up to win the Ohio State Championship for Badger High School.

Anyway I thought they'd be a little chippy after the race but if you really look Blaney didn't look like he'd complete the turn anyway so it was a forgone conclusion Chase would pound him as they were trying to go left to get back on the Speedway. No sense getting pissy over it.

Top Bottom