Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

My poor ass went and bought a 2017 Tacoma after my 2004 finally shit the bed

Jakethedog

Legendary
Founder
Yesterday my timing belt slipped as I was going down the road. Had just replaced it and the water pump 2 years ago and wasn't really feeling putting more money into a new motor that would cost more than what the truck was worth.

Can't help but think if I had paid a certified mechanic instead of doing it myself it would've made it longer than 2 years. 240,000 + miles though so it had a good run at least.

I've made the mistake of buying new before and will never do that again. Hoping this one will last 10+ years.

Attachments

• 20210130_154115.jpg
    20210130_154115.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 20210130_154148.jpg
    20210130_154148.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 35

Globalsaxophone

Poster
Founder
Nothing wrong with buying a slightly used vehicle. I bought a new 2017 Lariat F-150, and while it’s nice.. my buddy waited a year and bought a platinum with about 30k miles for about 15k less than mine. Faggot even got the same color & leveled it with oversized tires like mine. Nice truck man.

Last edited:

BackLash

Poster
Yesterday my timing belt slipped as I was going down the road. Had just replaced it and the water pump 2 years ago and wasn't really feeling putting more money into a new motor that would cost more than what the truck was worth.

Can't help but think if I had paid a certified mechanic instead of doing it myself it would've made it longer than 2 years. 240,000 + miles though so it had a good run at least.

I've made the mistake of buying new before and will never do that again. Hoping this one will

I've made the mistake of buying new before and will never do that again. Hoping this one will last 10+ years.
Congrats! Those are great trucks.

SoonerMD09

Elite
Buying any vehicle is a massive pain in the ass. It's one of those things in life I'd never do again if possible.

Nice looking truck OP.
I used to think this, then I learned a few things to flip the script.

1. Go to a high volume dealer. They aren't strapped to deadlines or 'needing to make a sale'. If they claim that call them on their bull shit.

2. Purchase your car over 8 weeks. Spend the first month figuring out exactly what you want. Tech packages, offroading, the v8, etc. With a good understanding of the price range. The second month find the car / cars that meet your criteria and take them for a test drive. Go back once a week to redrive it, check trade in value. Be extremely non committal. Once negotiations start walk away. 3 or 4 times. Say you have to talk to your wife. Tell them you're concerned about financing, it fitting in your garage, whatever. Just keep leaving. There will come a point where they're just going to get fed up with you and they know they can sell the car ro the next asshole for more money. This is when you get the best deal. You should also have 3 or 4 offers on other cars. You can tell them if they can match this deal, you'll go with them if your strapped for time

3. Do the above November into December and buy the car December 31st (the last day of the last quarter of the financial year).

GatorOK

Legendary
Founder

1. Go to a high volume dealer. They aren't strapped to deadlines or 'needing to make a sale'. If they claim that call them on their bull shit.

2. Purchase your car over 8 weeks. Spend the first month figuring out exactly what you want. Tech packages, offroading, the v8, etc. With a good understanding of the price range. The second month find the car / cars that meet your criteria and take them for a test drive. Go back once a week to redrive it, check trade in value. Be extremely non committal. Once negotiations start walk away. 3 or 4 times. Say you have to talk to your wife. Tell them you're concerned about financing, it fitting in your garage, whatever. Just keep leaving. There will come a point where they're just going to get fed up with you and they know they can sell the car ro the next asshole for more money. This is when you get the best deal. You should also have 3 or 4 offers on other cars. You can tell them if they can match this deal, you'll go with them if your strapped for time

3. Do the above November into December and buy the car December 31st (the last day of the last quarter of the financial year).
All good advise when there is no COVID. Truck you want hits the lot you better get it cause it is gone in 2-4 days

commepositatus

Poster
Founder
All good advise when there is no COVID. Truck you want hits the lot you better get it cause it is gone in 2-4 days

So true. I recently bought two 2021 Yukon XL's. Here in Memphis they are selling for at or above sticker and the dealers aren't willing to negotiate at all. I just checked and there are no Yukons at all in Memphis right now. I bought my wife's Denali in Little Rock from a high volume dealer and was able to get it at 4k under sticker. I only got 2k off my AT4 Yukon XL from the Memphis dealer and that was painful.

Cletusnow

Made the run from Texarkana to Atlanta
Founder

1612125967201.gif
also looking at that one or maybe a tundra.

Nice truck

Cletusnow

Made the run from Texarkana to Atlanta
Founder
Non union made jap design I’ll take it! We have has an 11’ sequoia and an 02’ 4Runner. Both still run like tops! Never had any issues with Yotas.

Dinkis14

Poster
Founder
My car was just totaled so I just got a new one. Truck and SUV used prices aren’t far off from new because of demand. I never thought I would buy a new car, but the price difference was worth it.

I did this. I was looking for a new truck in November and bought it in December 30th. they brought it to me from their dealership in West Palm, I love in Ormond Beach, and we did the paperwork in the parking lot of the dealership where we were picking up the wife's car for maintenance.

dirty0222

That's a lot of work. I'll spend a little more and spend my time doing other things I enjoy.

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
Pro tip from a guy that has gone through 5 new Toyota's in 15 years (more than a million miles between them) only use factory parts, that includes brake pads and anti-freeze. out of those 5 the only repairs I have ever had to do outside of regular maintenance was a starter on one and a wheel bearing.

EdgeBest

Poster

OR

dont waste hours and hours of time and just buy one the same day youre ready to buy.

your time is MONEY. you spend more money in the end doing it this way via wasted time.

Zigjr

Poster
Founder

I have 2005 Toyota Tacoma and just cracked 340K miles. I’ve had minimum repairs on it other than typical stuff that needs to be fixed over time. Engine is probably down a cylinder or 2 but I don’t care I’m not trying out for Fast and the Furious. I have another truck but I drive this one to work to keep the miles off my other. Tough little bastards Toyota’s are.

BackLash

Poster
I have 2005 Toyota Tacoma and just cracked 340K miles. I’ve had minimum repairs on it other than typical stuff that needs to be fixed over time. Engine is probably down a cylinder or 2 but I don’t care I’m not trying out for Fast and the Furious. I have another truck but I drive this one to work to keep the miles off my other. Tough little bastards Toyota’s are.
Yes they are. My next truck will definitely be a Toyota.

Molon Labe

MAGA Man
Founder

What kinda poor has time for all this bullshit.

Top Bottom