Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Music question

skramer100

Elite
Founder
So friends of mine are talking and discussing how Marc Knopfler and David Byrne are looked at. If either one of them is a song writer in any decade other than the 80s, are they ranked much higher?
I think the two are ridiculous song writers.

TheGratefulReb

Neanderthal in Chief
Founder
Picking from the two, I'd say Byrne over Knopfler as far as song writing goes and body of work.

Dire Straits & Talking Heads started in the 70s, so the question is sort of moot.

Both benefitted from being on the cusp of MTV emerging.

We had a Talking Heads tribute band play our wedding reception. HeartByrne out of Austin, TX. Tons of fun!

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
So friends of mine are talking and discussing how Marc Knopfler and David Byrne are looked at. If either one of them is a song writer in any decade other than the 80s, are they ranked much higher?
I think the two are ridiculous song writers.

I think it depends on who you ask.

Anyone with a lick of sense knows these are 2 all time great bands and that songwriting is part of the band.

They would be ranked higher if they were famous for works in the 70s.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Two of my favorite bands. Talking Heads and Dire Straits. This thread interests me.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
That’s a tough question, if I had to pick I would say Knopfler, but coming from someone who doesn’t know anything about playing music I don’t think my opinion matters much.

The Talking Heads “stop Making Sense” dvd is probably one of the most watched DVD’s I have. Dire straits “on every street” album came out just around the time I started driving and has been one of my favorites sense. One of the few albums I listen to from beginning to end.

Wish I had more musical abilities so I could form a better opinion on who was better, but they are both awesome to me.

Top Bottom