Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MLB Lockout

MVTPatriot

Elite
Founder
The shifts, paired with the constant high velocity pitching, have taken away from the game in my own opinion. Putting the ball in play has become increasingly more difficult, much less being able to put the ball where you want it to go. Having coached for over 30 years, my last stop as the varsity pitching coach at Brownsburg High School in the Indianapolis area, I’ve seen what velocity has done to even the HS game. We’d face each team in our conference for a 3 game series...usually 2 of those games, we’d see velocity from 92-95. I saw our hitting coach ask a better player, “Why didn’t you go oppo,” after the kid weakly grounded out to short. Kid said, “Coach, I was just tryin’ to make contact.”
Putting the ball in play has become more and more difficult. I’ve heard MLB players say the same thing against the upper 90’s pitching. It all sounds easy...guess what...it’s not. One of the things that really has saddened me with the shifting is you just don’t see the great and athletic infield plays that you once saw regularly. The ball in the hole at short. Plays on balls up the middle....the shift has taken that athletic beauty away and replaced it with routine plays by players stationed in “small circles” as regulated by the numbers. Now, I don’t say that isn’t smart baseball...I’m saying it’s “ugly uninteresting baseball” that I don’t find appealing to watch. Just my opinion...

Agree 100%. I’ll add another thing you might be able to speak on is the shelf life for a pitchers arms.
These kids have only so many innings in their arm and playing almost year round. That’s allot of stress at an early age.
I can’t image they would have much left once they get to the pros. Many of these clubs will take a young live arm and develop them while on the MLB roster just to get them up and running as fast as possible.

RollyInRaleigh

Legendary
Agree 100%. I’ll add another thing you might be able to speak on is the shelf life for a pitchers arms.
These kids have only so many innings in their arm and playing almost year round. That’s allot of stress at an early age.
I can’t image they would have much left once they get to the pros. Many of these clubs will take a young live arm and develop them while on the MLB roster just to get them up and running as fast as possible.
The problem is that the only focus right now for young pitchers getting to the pros or to college is velocity. All you see are coaches and scouts with radar guns...they watch for an inning and they’re gone. The programs these kids get on are totally velocity driven...the problem is this. All kids were not meant to throw 95 mph. They can get there, but their frames will just not support it...then it’s on to surgery...sometimes you come back...sometimes you don’t. Remember when Nolan Ryan and a couple of other guys were the only guys throwing near 100? Those guys were naturals...they were put together to do that. The art of “pitching” is gone.

Latest posts

Top Bottom