Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Manscpaping your lawn. Own your neighbors

Nas

Poster
Almost time for that pre-emergant to be put down. We adopted a 1 year old pupper, who combined with a soggy yard, has completely wrecked my shit.

Usually do Scotts in the spring and fall. Crabgrass got bad last year. My main issue is that I have a bad grade on my back yard where my neighbors run off goes into my yard. It's not puddles, but its soggy for about half the year.

Anyone have this?

Nas

Poster
If you have a full time backyard dog, you’re lawn is never gonna look good. Another reason I went the cat route
She likes being outside but spends most of the day inside. It's gonna be brutal in the Spring when the showers hit. It's a lab mix. My wife put up these pathetic garden fence pieces around the landscaping and the dog has bulldozed or jumped over them everyday.

Nas

Poster
Gonna need pics of the grading problem. You may be fucked.
Will try to tomorrow. Basically my yard is lower than the neighbors on both sides. One corner of my yard is noticeably lower than everything and is wet almost year round.

TJHall1

Legendary
Will try to tomorrow. Basically my yard is lower than the neighbors on both sides. One corner of my yard is noticeably lower than everything and is wet almost year round.
Get more dirt.

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
French drain. 1inch drop over 10ft.

HnstTune

Elite
Founder
I have the same drainage problem. Neighborhood drainage runs on my side of the back fence. Plus my yard is on a steep grade and is 100% full shade all day. I’ve put dirt back there and it just washes out every spring. Standing water for days after a rain. Also means the mosquitos in the summer are unbearable. I’m at a loss at this point. On the other hand my front yard is in full sun all day and in the middle of summer there’s no amount of water to keep it alive.

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder
Almost time for that pre-emergant to be put down. We adopted a 1 year old pupper, who combined with a soggy yard, has completely wrecked my shit.

Usually do Scotts in the spring and fall. Crabgrass got bad last year. My main issue is that I have a bad grade on my back yard where my neighbors run off goes into my yard. It's not puddles, but its soggy for about half the year.

Anyone have this?
I have the same drainage problem. Neighborhood drainage runs on my side of the back fence. Plus my yard is on a steep grade and is 100% full shade all day. I’ve put dirt back there and it just washes out every spring. Standing water for days after a rain. Also means the mosquitos in the summer are unbearable. I’m at a loss at this point. On the other hand my front yard is in full sun all day and in the middle of summer there’s no amount of water to keep it alive.
Depending on the layout of the yard, you could consider building up a retaining wall. My backyard slope down into a city drainage ditch and I built up a retaining wall and fenced it in - not a lot of square footage, but enough space for the dog to run and the kids to play. Looks really nice, but can get into some considerable $$ if you want it done right.

Another option would be some kind of French drain system

Last edited:

Nas

Poster
Depending on the layout of the yard, you could consider building up a retaining wall. My backyard slope down into a city drainage ditch and I built up a retaining wall and fenced it in - not a lot of square footage, but enough space for the dog to run and the kids to play. Looks really nice, but can get into some considerable $$ if you want it done right.

Another option would be some kind of French drain system
A few people have mentioned that and I think its a possibility. The problem is I dont have standing water. Its like a slow drain from the higher grounds to my yard so it is squishy for months.

I forgot to take a picture and I was outside with the dog for like an hour.

French drains are mainly for standing water? Correct? I guess thats my hang up in finding the answer. I have no problem putting one in myself.

AC2020

Elite
Founder

Anyone have this?
If I was in your neighborhood, I'd send my dogs out at night to shit on your front lawn.

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
A few people have mentioned that and I think its a possibility. The problem is I dont have standing water. Its like a slow drain from the higher grounds to my yard so it is squishy for months.

French drains are mainly for standing water? Correct? I guess thats my hang up in finding the answer. I have no problem putting one in myself.
Depends where you put them in.

Can be used creatively if you have a bit of imagination.

Jtrain80

Legendary
My dad taught me how to manscape when I hit puberty. The gentleness and intricacy that he used still astounds me to this day.

I had a coworker tell me one time:

I would rather take a shower with my dad than ever do this shit again.

Laughed way harder than I should have.

Belezabro

Elite
Couple of years ago I had a vole problem. Little bastards make paths all over the yard. Put some poison down and took care of the problem. Well, all the snow has melted here only to reveal a network of vole activity. That will be my first lawn care task.

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder

Well it seems like you basically have a standing water problem if your yard is squishy for months - its just not pooling up.

Seems like a retaining wall or french drain would be a perfect solution for you. You just need to find somewhere to drain the water.

If you can't get to the curb, you could always drain it into a small little garden area with plants that soak up a bunch of water

Top Bottom