Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Let's discuss our favorite music venues

ttyh

Legendary
Founder
Since we have been denied the opportunity to attend live music shows for the past year, let's talk about some of our favorite music venues, both active and defunct. Unfortunately, some of the ones we still consider active might be close to flipping to defunct if we don't get the show on the road again here soon.

I'll get us started:

The Backyard- Bee Cave, TX: Now defunct, The Backyard was an intimate outdoor venue that was once upon a time way outside of Austin, but got swallowed up by urban sprawl and sold out for $$. Saw amazing shows there ranging from Willie to Widespread Panic and everything in between. Miss that place.

Tip's Uptown- NOLA: Actually almost closed a couple of years ago but Stanton Moore and an investment group saved the day and bought them out. Incredible memories of shows both upstairs and downstairs and center stage and the back wall. Left this venue at sunrise too many times to count. Can't wait to get back.

Fillmore- NOLA: Just a couple years old now. The venue is new, nice and clean unlike the other NOLA favorites. Caught a George Porter show there Jazzfest 2019 and was blown away by the acoustics/sound.

Fitzgerald's - Houston: Now defunct, but a legendary venue in the Houston music scene for years, including my high school years in H-town.

Maple Leaf- NOLA: One of the best music venues in the city. Miss the Monday night Papa Grows Funk gigs there. Rebirth Brass Band on Tuesday nights is still a good time. Grab a meal at Jacque-Imo before a show. One of the better experiences in NOLA

The Black Cat- 6th street Austin: Now defunct. Back when you could go to 6th street without full body armor, The Black Cat was host to some legendary artists. College days we would catch Soulhat on Monday(I think, maybe Tuesday-long time ago) and enjoy free hot dogs and $1 Pabst Blue Ribbon. RIP Black Cat

Also a shout out to the now defunct La Zona Rosa and Austin Music Hall. RIP.

And of course the venerable sites like Red Rocks, The Gorge and Radio City Music Hall. Caught a David Gilmour RCMH show a few years agoa nd couldn't believe how perfect the sound was.

Share some of your favorites.

HnstTune

Elite
Founder
The Georgia Frontiere Pavilion in Sedona was pretty amazing. Also no longer in service. Right on the edge of town with an awesome view of the Arizona desert.

Paolo Soleri in Santa Fe also pretty incredible.

Horning’sHideout in North Plains, OR. it was like going to summer camp for the weekend. Tucked back in the woods with all on site camping. Lake to play on during the day. Great place to get away for the weekend.

Mishawaka Amphitheater in Bellvue, CO. Nestled right up along the Poudre River outside of Ft. Collins. Very intimate little venue in the mountains. Plus don’t sleep on the prime rib dinner on the menu every Sunday before the show.

ttyh

Legendary
Founder
The Georgia Frontiere Pavilion in Sedona was pretty amazing. Also no longer in service. Right on the edge of town with an awesome view of the Arizona desert.

Paolo Soleri in Santa Fe also pretty incredible.

Horning’sHideout in North Plains, OR. it was like going to summer camp for the weekend. Tucked back in the woods with all on site camping. Lake to play on during the day. Great place to get away for the weekend.

Mishawaka Amphitheater in Bellvue, CO. Nestled right up along the Poudre River outside of Ft. Collins. Very intimate little venue in the mountains. Plus don’t sleep on the prime rib dinner on the menu every Sunday before the show.

Ahh, yes. Paolo for sure. About as unique a venue one will find.

Sloppy Mexican

Elite
Founder
Solid list opee. Saw a few Papa Grow’s shows at the Leaf. Love that joint, especially the back courtyard. 😎

120north

Elite
Founder
Einstein A Go-Go in Jacksonville Beach, FL. Hole in the wall, 200 max capacity. It is now closed. Saw some iconic alt bands their in my youth as it was an all ages club. Jane's Addiction on the Nothing's Shocking tour was legit my favorite show there. A couple of folks are working on a book about the club during it's hey-day. So many good bands for such a small spot.

https://voidlive.com/einsteina-go-go-remember-the-legendary-jax-beach-music-venue/

ttyh

Legendary
Founder
That pic of The Mish is awesome. Oddly, I've never made it there for a show.

TheGratefulReb

Neanderthal in Chief
Founder
Colorado has some pretty sweet venues. Of course, Red Rocks. The Mish. Gerald Ford in Vail. Dillon. Telluride.

The Park Theater in Las Vegas is pretty awesome and state of the art. Great sound, great seats everywhere. Awesome HD projection screen around the entire stage.

Haven't been personally, but the wife loved the venue in St. Augustine, FL. Independently run.

Huntstville, AL just broke ground on this thing. Looks pretty awesome

Last edited:

120north

Elite
Founder
The Amp is St. Augustine is nice. The only issue is the relentless sun as it is setting during the summer. I had a half face sunburn as that SOB snuck under the roofline.

ttyh

Legendary
Founder
Shot of The Backyard from 2012 Panic show:

the-backyard-in-austin.jpg

Cool video of Soulhat at The Black Cat in 1991. Very likely I was at this show. Bonus extra clips of Austin in 1991 when Austin was the best town in the country.

Top Bottom