Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Lawn guys (yellow jackets)

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
So found out the hard way I have a yellow jackets nest in a bush outside the house. What's the best way to deal with this situation short of burning the bush up with a flame thrower?

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
Keep in mind the nest is in the bush and cannot be seen so can't spray it with wasp and hornet killer spray.

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
If it’s a yellow jacket nest, it will have a hole in the ground next to the bush. Yellow jackets do not have nest above ground. Wait till dark and find the hole and pour some gas in it. If you really want to take them out, light the gas in the hole. End of problem.
then it's hornets or something, didn't shake hands with them I was to busy running away when I hit it with the trimmer. Hosed the bush down wit spray but still ahve the flying out of the bush.

Astragalus

Poster
Founder
Get a 1/4 lb can of Tannerite. Place it under the bush. Stand back at least 100 yards and place a high powered rifle round through the Tannerite. Wasps go boom.

Seriously, I’d probably get a pest control guy out there to handle it. If you really want to tackle it yourself, you might consider putting a tarp over the bush (if you can do it safely) and setting off a small bug bomb/fogger underneath.

dirtytoeddawg

Legendary
dn16071-1_300.jpg
Just be a man and jump in and defeat them in hand to hand combat. That’s how I do it

Cletusnow

Made the run from Texarkana to Atlanta
Founder
So found out the hard way I have a yellow jackets nest in a bush outside the house. What's the best way to deal with this situation short of burning the bush up with a flame thrower?
The nest is in the ground. Find the hole add diesel fuel or kerosene, cover with a 5 gallon bucket. Voila they gone!

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Yellow jackets nest in many places. I've seen them in flag poles, bushes, in the ground and many other places. I've sprayed bushes. It can't be done with a can of wasp spray without opening the bush to get to it. That leads to being stung. The best was is to get a pump sprayer from Lowe's/HD and some pesticide. Make a solution and stick the wand into the bush and spray like Hell. OFF sprayed on yourself will deter them but you've already pissed them off by using the can. They are very aggressive now and will attack. Cover as much of yourself with whatever will minimize stings. They can sting through bee suits.

If the bush is not near where people hang out, leave them along for a week or two then go back and spray with the pump sprayer.

Wear heavy gloves - chemical rubber coated are the best and any other stuff to protect yourself. Goggles, face mask (not blue useless Wuhan masks) or better a plastic face shield, hat, long sleeves and pants, rubber boots, etc.

Or hire someone to come spray them. If you hire it done, be sure to tell the person beforehand that you've tried yourself. He/she will like to be prepared for pissed off wasps. Ask me how I know?

Last edited:

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
Yellow jackets nest in many places. I've seen them in flag poles, bushes, in the ground and many other places. I've sprayed bushes. It can't be done with a can of wasp spray without opening the bush to get to it. That leads to being stung. The best was is to get a pump sprayer from Lowe's/HD and some pesticide. Make a solution and stick the wand into the bush and spray like Hell. OFF sprayed on yourself will deter them but you've already pissed them off by using the can. They are very aggressive now and will attack. Cover as much of yourself with whatever will minimize stings. They can sting through bee suits.

If the bush is not near where people hang out, leave them along for a week or two then go back and spray with the pump sprayer.

Wear heavy gloves - chemical rubber coated are the best and any other stuff to protect yourself. Goggles, face mask (not blue useless Wuhan masks) or better a plastic face shield, hat, long sleeves and pants, rubber boots, etc.

Or hire someone to come spray them. If you hire it done, be sure to tell the person beforehand that you've tried yourself. He/she will like to be prepared for pissed off wasps. Ask me how I know?

Yeah nest is in the bush for sure, doesn't go all the way to the ground and they are flying into the middle of it. Might give that a shot with the bug sprayer thanks.

Related story from when I was a kid, step dad (hated the guy) told me to mow the grass (I was a lazy fuck) so I go out to mow the yard and right as I was about to run over a hole I noticed YJ flying out of it so I pushed the mower on top of the hole and ran like hell.

Step dad gets home from work and asks why the hell I only mowed half the yard and I told him the mower broke down and wouldn't start. He goes out to get it running and finds said nest under the mower when he pulls the cord. Of course it started right up and he ran like hell. The show was well worth the ass whipping and two weeks grounded I got.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom