Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Isaac Asimov's "The Last Question" and the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics

Chris Farley

Misunderstood lurker
Founder
giphy.gif

Zgdaf

Elite
Founder
So you want an answer from people that need to have a rocket science degree and also be a philosopher?
Hers my philosophy... most people have tried to answer their own question before asking. So what is your answer?

RHT 3

Elite
" People already know the answers to their own questions " RHT 3

" Why does poon tang taste the way it does ? " RHT 3

pleaseclap

Poster
Founder
They aren't, old chap. Just because a sci-fi book says that AC thought about it for a while and decided, that the second law of thermodynamics doesn't exist..,nay, is actually the opposite of what the law says, doesn't make it so or even plausible.

The second law of thermodynamics has been proven time and time again. Just do a google search for fun experiments you can do at home with your kids that prove it.

Sandford’s_Finest

Poster
Founder
I just read the Wikipedia entry on the 2nd law of thermodynamics, so I feel as if I can speak on this now as an expert. It seems to me that in order for the law to be reversible, a controlling entity would need the ability to operate independent of time, or outside the boundaries of time. As far as I know, God is the only entity capable of such, so I think it’s impossible for us to reverse the law, at least until we figure out time travel.

pleaseclap

Poster
Founder
I just read the Wikipedia entry on the 2nd law of thermodynamics, so I feel as if I can speak on this now as an expert. It seems to me that in order for the law to be reversible, a controlling entity would need the ability to operate independent of time, or outside the boundaries of time. As far as I know, God is the only entity capable of such, so I think it’s impossible for us to reverse the law, at least until we figure out time travel.

According to sci-fi, all you have to do is think about it and rearrange data and boom! We've reversed the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

Similarly, I've been checking into the viability of light sabers in battle.

CBradSmith

Elite
Founder
They aren't, old chap. Just because a sci-fi book says that AC thought about it for a while and decided, that the second law of thermodynamics doesn't exist..,nay, is actually the opposite of what the law says, doesn't make it so or even plausible.

The second law of thermodynamics has been proven time and time again. Just do a google search for fun experiments you can do at home with your kids that prove it.
Where'd all this mess come from?

Cyberty

Elite
Founder
Simple answer. Gravity

Gravity is not addressed in the second law of Thermodynamics (Entropy).

Gravity is a mysterious invisible force that attracts all atoms toward each other. The force of attraction grows as the mass grows and the objects get closer. Enough mass pushed together will create atomic fusion and a significant release of energy. Like our sun.

Top Bottom