Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HS Grad / College / scholarship discussion

tgsio

Legendary
Founder
Yeah, I'm one of the more realistic ones with regards to expectations. That's what I've told my older boy. If he wants the freedom to "pick" a certain school to go to, he better be really good, or potentially try to go there as a walk on, but the cost of schools may make the out of state tuition not worth it. So be open to going just about anywhere that is willing to give you a scholly, if you want to pursue that level of sports. If not, it changes the dynamics of what you're looking for.

Right now, I'm just going with the assumption that they won't play D1 sports, and try to get everything in line. If they do end up getting that opportunity, the scholarships kind of make it a totally different deal.
D2 offers scholarships.

D3 technically doesn't, but there are ways.

Don't limit the search to D1 if that's part of what he's looking for. But be sure he's sure he knows what he's getting into if he plays a sport in college. It is incredibly rewarding and it's an incredible responsibility. It's a job. But if he really loves it, it's worth it. The only reason Max will go to college instead of enlisting is for the opportunity to play (there's been some interest from smaller schools for football. He was honest and said he is focusing on lacrosse for college) and get his degree in sports management. He has a pretty good idea of what he wants to do and he's looking at the best way to get there. And the military is not ruled out post college. But he also knows the commitment his sister had to make as a D1 athlete. He's going in with eyes wide open. There are plenty of D3 (a few D2) programs he's interested in as well as D1.

Oh and Hillsdale does not require FAFSA as they accept and take no federal funding. (I know there are others, but Hillsdale is what I thought of because my husband is a Hillsdale alum)

Last edited:
Top Bottom