Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How has your life tangibly changed since 11/3?

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
Not a bit for me and I’m as MAGA as can be. There have been a lot of intangible changes, many of them self selected, but my taxes are still the same, no one is asking about the guns that were lost in a boating accident and no one is bothering me about Covid or masks.

Is anything really different now for the vast majority of Americans?

rwptiger

Poster
Not a bit for me and I’m as MAGA as can be. There have been a lot of intangible changes, many of them self selected, but my taxes are still the same, no one is asking about the guns that were lost in a boating accident and no one is bothering me about Covid or masks.

its been 14 days.

Begbie_nole

Poster
Founder
Sorry.. let me understand this post... even if biden flipped the world over once POTUS.. how was he to do so from the election to 21 Jan 21?

Sgfeer

Legendary
Founder
It's not protest season yet in most of the country. Hard to be outraged in snow and cold. While it won't affect most of us, we will be droning and bombing soon, and if we disagree, it won't be honest discussion, the word treasonous will be slipped in from time to time

pleaseclap

Poster
Founder
I work in the domestic maritime industry. We move oil in barges. One of Biden's EO's was for a mask mandate. The mandate referenced public transportation. The CDC decided to piggyback and expand it to commercial transportation as well. The USCG has interpreted this to be applicable to our industry.

Besides not making much sense (guys pull 3-4 week hitches on the boat, isolated from the rest of the world) for our industry, you cannot have a mandate without enforcement. The USCG has created a snitch email address for reporting non-compliance. The penalty for non-compliance is pretty much whatever the USCG wants it to be. Fines for the company, fines for the mariner, stripping mariner's of their licenses, etc. What happens when a deckhand gets his feelings hurt by a Captain for being a lazy piece of shit?

So now, as management, I'm left to try and figure this shit out. Its a huge clusterfuck because these mariners are basically roughnecks on the water. I promise you, 99% of them are not going to wear a mask while they are onboard. Will absolutely refuse to. The other problem is that this mandate is sweeping across all modes of commercial transportation. Meaning, what the CDC had in mind for air travelers is also applicable to my mariners that are isolated from the world for a month at a time. There's no specific guidelines. Its just "wear a mask". Huge problem in the industry and for me, specifically.

Keep this in mind when you hear shit like "What's the big deal about a mask mandate? Its just common sense. Its not like they are going to take you to jail if you don't wear it." This shit isn't fantasy land. Its real life, and real people that have a lot at stake.

Sorry for the TLDR: but had to paint the picture to answer the OP.

Fever757

Poster
Founder
ISIS will be back in full force within a year when we fund Iran and take off sanctions. More migrant caravans will pour into the southern states.

We are not effected now, but you bet your ass a ME terrorist group will be foaming at the mouth to come in and raise hell in the US and drugs are going to start flooding in 50X what they were the last four years.

Too early to tell, too easy to predict.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
I work in the domestic maritime industry. We move oil in barges. One of Biden's EO's was for a mask mandate. The mandate referenced public transportation. The CDC decided to piggyback and expand it to commercial transportation as well. The USCG has interpreted this to be applicable to our industry.

Besides not making much sense (guys pull 3-4 week hitches on the boat, isolated from the rest of the world) for our industry, you cannot have a mandate without enforcement. The USCG has created a snitch email address for reporting non-compliance. The penalty for non-compliance is pretty much whatever the USCG wants it to be. Fines for the company, fines for the mariner, stripping mariner's of their licenses, etc. What happens when a deckhand gets his feelings hurt by a Captain for being a lazy piece of shit?

So now, as management, I'm left to try and figure this shit out. Its a huge clusterfuck because these mariners are basically roughnecks on the water. I promise you, 99% of them are not going to wear a mask while they are onboard. Will absolutely refuse to. The other problem is that this mandate is sweeping across all modes of commercial transportation. Meaning, what the CDC had in mind for air travelers is also applicable to my mariners that are isolated from the world for a month at a time. There's no specific guidelines. Its just "wear a mask". Huge problem in the industry and for me, specifically.

Keep this in mind when you hear shit like "What's the big deal about a mask mandate? Its just common sense. Its not like they are going to take you to jail if you don't wear it." This shit isn't fantasy land. Its real life, and real people that have a lot at stake.

Sorry for the TLDR: but had to paint the picture to answer the OP.

Can't you just post orders on each ship that everyone has to wear a mask and then if the USCG comes calling, you just point them to the order? Who gives a shit if it is enforced?

CumAllahHerAss

Poster
Founder

They've had control for two weeks, have you not seen the bills they've been pushing? Increased taxes and gun restrictions are coming.

pleaseclap

Poster
Founder
Can't you just post orders on each ship that everyone has to wear a mask and then if the USCG comes calling, you just point them to the order? Who gives a shit if it is enforced?

I think you may have skimmed over it, but the USCG looooves fining operators first and foremost.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
They've had control for two weeks, have you not seen the bills they've been pushing? Increased taxes and gun restrictions are coming.

I have an idea of what they want to do, but until they actually do it, nothing has changed and I'm not going to worry about it.

pleaseclap

Poster
Founder
I get that, but it seems like posting the order would at least keep you in compliance.

lol no. Not in this industry. We could have a Captain plow straight into the 1-10 bridge in Baton Rouge and ultimately the investigation would come down to "how did the company fail the mariner". They may take the Captain's license, but that will be ancillary compared to what's about to happen to the company. Management is equally responsible for ensuring knowledge of the rule, but enforcement as well.

Joe Kings

Legendary
Founder

This is a pretty stupid take on it all. Im surprise coming from you. He just got in office and yes things will be changing. Holy Shit

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
This is a pretty stupid take on it all. Im surprise coming from you. He just got in office and yes things will be changing. Holy Shit

That's kind of my point. Everyone is freaking out about things that might happen.

UNC71-00

Elite
Founder
lol no. Not in this industry. We could have a Captain plow straight into the 1-10 bridge in Baton Rouge and ultimately the investigation would come down to "how did the company fail the mariner". They may take the Captain's license, but that will be ancillary compared to what's about to happen to the company. Management is equally responsible for ensuring knowledge of the rule, but enforcement as well.

Ah, I see. They go after the money regardless the circumstances.

pleaseclap

Poster
Founder
Ah, I see. They go after the money regardless the circumstances.
tenor.gif

TunsilsGasMask

Poster
Founder
costs me about $12-$15 more per tank of gas. not even gonna begin to discuss firearm or ammo prices (if you can even find it). i also have a couple of friends that have lost jobs because of the new administration. its not a matter of if you'll be affected by the new admin, its a matter of when.

WestcampTX

Elite
Founder
Dunno, I have hit the apathy stage. It's actually pretty similar to being a Texas Tech fan. You constantly root for the good guys, but in the end you get kicked in the nuts every time.

I will say it's been pretty nice being checked out on how bad the Dems are working to fuck me. When I thought we might stand a chance at making a difference cleaning out the swamp, I spent WAY too much time invested in this shit.

He hasn’t been in office long enough yet check back in 17 months
This aged like milk.

Here we are years later significantly better off than when Biden took office. The economy is rocking, taxes are the same, China and Russia are collapsing, manufacturing is coming home, oil and natural gas production are at all time highs, and the military is finally getting some of the munitions and boats its been lacking for decades.

TopHook

Legendary
Founder

This post aged well.

Top Bottom