Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Honest Pet End of Life Question

PartyBarge

Patriot
Founder
Well, taking Miss Addy in to be put down in an hour and a half. Over the last 48 hours her hair has started falling out (Demodectic mange), her legs are swollen this morning and she can barely walk which is probably heart failure. She also has blood in her slobbers and eyes this morning.

Last night she was in a lot of pain. She just laid there whimpering. We doctored the mange and gave her some Motrin and Benadryl to ease the pain. The shield maiden sat up with her and as long as she was petting her she didn’t wine. Once she fell asleep she slept hard. This morning she woke up and headed for the living room to be with her momma and she collapsed before getting there. Poor girl. She’s been a good pup.

This is after we doctored her up yesterday. Amazing how fast she went down hill.

View attachment 56056

Edit: oh, four nights ago she was feeling rough and our little pup (Rocko) just sat beside her whimpering. We thought maybe she’d go that night. Guess he knew it was coming. He’s done it off and on since then but not like he did that night.
Prayers man. Just remember, all dogs go to heaven.

Long Cat V2.0

Legendary
Well, taking Miss Addy in to be put down in an hour and a half. Over the last 48 hours her hair has started falling out (Demodectic mange), her legs are swollen this morning and she can barely walk which is probably heart failure. She also has blood in her slobbers and eyes this morning.

Last night she was in a lot of pain. She just laid there whimpering. We doctored the mange and gave her some Motrin and Benadryl to ease the pain. The shield maiden sat up with her and as long as she was petting her she didn’t wine. Once she fell asleep she slept hard. This morning she woke up and headed for the living room to be with her momma and she collapsed before getting there. Poor girl. She’s been a good pup.

This is after we doctored her up yesterday. Amazing how fast she went down hill.

View attachment 56056

Edit: oh, four nights ago she was feeling rough and our little pup (Rocko) just sat beside her whimpering. We thought maybe she’d go that night. Guess he knew it was coming. He’s done it off and on since then but not like he did that night.
I’m sorry to hear this. Seems like a great dog who has been loved and has had a great life. She’s lucky to have somebody to take care of her.

Dawg97

Poster
Founder
Get outta here with that crap.

I liked the original post about when you get over being selfish. Not because I think it was pointing out that you were being selfish, but because my wife and I had to deal with this a few years ago. We finally decided that we were being selfish and started to evaluate it in the best interest of our dog instead of our best interests. It is a difficult thing to evaluate. The act of being able to decide life and death is a very hard "power" to have.

eb102993

Poster
Not a lot of dogs get 14 years. My dog Bones is the same age but he’s thriving since we moved to a cooler climate.
Agree. 14 years is pretty good.

We lost one of our dogs a few months ago to heart failure. It was nice still having the other one with us. She helped the kids through the loss and received much more attention. From all of us really

racernhra

Elite
Founder
All the best to you and rest easy with your decision. You made the right one and I o ow it sucks. My girl was 11 and developed issues after a vaccination and falling in a lake. I know it’s crazy but something happened.

I doctored her as best as I could, took her to Ok State Vet Med many times hoping I could help her. Long story short, she had crapped in the house in an evening so I had her in the kitchen by herself that night. Woke up to diarrhea all over the floor and she was dead. Died alone and I know she wanted me. I still struggle 5 years later. Thankful for those that make the hard decision much earlier than I was able too. Prayers to you.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
All the best to you and rest easy with your decision. You made the right one and I o ow it sucks. My girl was 11 and developed issues after a vaccination and falling in a lake. I know it’s crazy but something happened.

I doctored her as best as I could, took her to Ok State Vet Med many times hoping I could help her. Long story short, she had crapped in the house in an evening so I had her in the kitchen by herself that night. Woke up to diarrhea all over the floor and she was dead. Died alone and I know she wanted me. I still struggle 5 years later. Thankful for those that make the hard decision much earlier than I was able too. Prayers to you.
Had a very similar situation happen to my dog. She was the sweetest thing ever and I’ll never have a dog as good as her. She was only 7 or 8 and had developed some lumps that were obviously cancerous. Her health started fading fast and one early morning she had got up and had thrown up all over the upstairs hall. I found her just by the dog door downstairs because she was trying to get out not to make a mess. She was still warm when I found her. I hate the way she died, but really it was just meant to be that way.

Sorry for your loss AV. It’s funny how pet deaths can be so hard. I think it’s because our pets never let us down and they are always there for us no matter what.

Anyway, if you think you can stomach it, this gave me some comfort, but damn it will hit you hard in the feels:

Astragalus

Poster
Founder
I’m sorry @AmericanViking. Terrible situation. I had to put my 16 year old lab down a few years ago. She got to where she couldn’t hold her bowels or bladder. I’d find her in a pool of urine every morning. Had to wash her up and carry her out to the yard to go the the bathroom. Had to hold her up as she went. I really struggled with the decision to put her down, but she had no dignity left. Only you can know when it’s the right time, but when your dog gets to the point that dignity is lost, it’s time. Hope this helps. Praying for you and your family.

tgsio

Legendary
Founder
We have a 14 year old pup and she’s going downhill quickly. She can barely standup and compulsively licks her pillow and front paws. The compulsive licking is a pain response and it does slow down when we giver her approved pain killers. She does at least get off the porch (barely) to shit and piss.

At what point do I take her and put her down?
I'm sorry.

I'm starting to face the same questions with Guinness. (She's almost 12. Old for a coonie). She still has bursts of playfulness (the frenchie puppy has made her 'younger') and is still eating and drinking. But she can't make it through the night without having to potty (so I've taken to sleeping downstsirs with her. It's not fair to her to have an accident in the house because she can't make it down 4 flights of stairs. I love her to much for that ) and I know she has cancer. I wash her ears out every day. They're bleeding. But she's not ready, yet. I'll know.

And you'll know, if you are asking the question, you know the answer.

Edit: just saw your other post. I'm sorry. Know that she loves you and knows how much you love her.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
I'm sorry.

I'm starting to face the same questions with Guinness. (She's almost 12. Old for a coonie). She still has bursts of playfulness (the frenchie puppy has made her 'younger') and is still eating and drinking. But she can't make it through the night without having to potty (so I've taken to sleeping downstsirs with her. It's not fair to her to have an accident in the house because she can't make it down 4 flights of stairs. I love her to much for that ) and I know she has cancer. I wash her ears out every day. They're bleeding. But she's not ready, yet. I'll know.

And you'll know, if you are asking the question, you know the answer.

Edit: just saw your other post. I'm sorry. Know that she loves you and knows how much you love her.
Yeah cancer is prevalent in coonies. Got my last boy roscoe
Sorry for Guinness

AC2021

Legendary
Founder

View attachment 56056

We're close to having to do the same thing with our pup (she's 14 years old also).

Spent 1500 bucks the last 2 months trying to save her eyes. She's completely blind now -- still seems pretty happy and perks up when she's outside.

Seems depressed when she's bumping into walls in the house.

AmericanViking

Legendary
Founder
Figured I’d share the other two pups. Mr Bones is on the right and Ms Evee on the left. Ms Evee is the product of Ms Addy and Mr Bones and he is the same age as Ms Addy but still like a pretty young dog.

They just got done getting a bath.

1635541290293.jpeg

Top Bottom