Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Honest Pet End of Life Question

AmericanViking

Legendary
Founder
We have a 14 year old pup and she’s going downhill quickly. She can barely standup and compulsively licks her pillow and front paws. The compulsive licking is a pain response and it does slow down when we giver her approved pain killers. She does at least get off the porch (barely) to shit and piss.

At what point do I take her and put her down?

Viking

Legendary
Founder
We put down our 18 year old this past winter. The joy left him and we knew it was time. We almost put him down three times before but he would bounce back as if he knew what we were saying. This last time he had a look of ,"I'm ready guys". You will know when the time comes. SKOL brother!

ttyh

Legendary
Founder
It's good that you are aware and have a handle on it. You will know when the time has come. You just do. It always works out that way. It's an event or a look or a sound and then you just know. Sorry man. The worst of days.

And I would recommend doing it at home with a home health vet. I did this with my 15 year old Aussie a few years ago and it just felt right. She left this world from her favorite spot in the house and that gave us a lot of peace. No sterility of a 24 hour clinic or a visit to her vet, which she never liked anyway.

TJHall1

Legendary
We have a 14 year old pup and she’s going downhill quickly. She can barely standup and compulsively licks her pillow and front paws. The compulsive licking is a pain response and it does slow down when we giver her approved pain killers. She does at least get off the porch (barely) to shit and piss.

Now

Cre8ive

Shaping the Future of Reality
Founder

When you get over being selfish...that's when.

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
I will probably be the one to do it.
Don’t let anyone give you shit either way.

If it’s a pain thing and meds help then just feel it out. As others have said you’ll know when it’s right.

You aren’t torturing it. That animal lives for you and your happiness.

Built it a ramp if need be and both of you live your best lives. Enjoy every damn day.

TheNJNole

Elite
Founder

There are services that come to the house. It sucks, no matter how.

Hang in there

Long Cat V2.0

Legendary
I put down my 13 year old lab/husky mix about two years ago. I had to let her go when there was just nothing good left. She was having a lot of trouble getting around and just seemed like she was in pain all the time. It sucked.

that was my second dog i had put down. In the future, I will make absolutely certain that the vet makes the link shot big enough to do the job by itself. My first chocolate lab I had put down got a big pink shot and had one big exhale and that was it. My second dog took the pink shot, then took the second shot, then died after what seemed like an eternity. That will never happen again. I didn’t have the heart to tell me wife how long it felt like it took. I still tear up thinking about it.

TJHall1

Legendary
I put down my 13 year old lab/husky mix about two years ago. I had to let her go when there was just nothing good left. She was having a lot of trouble getting around and just seemed like she was in pain all the time. It sucked.

that was my second dog i had put down. In the future, I will make absolutely certain that the vet makes the link shot big enough to do the job by itself. My first chocolate lab I had put down got a big pink shot and had one big exhale and that was it. My second dog took the pink shot, then took the second shot, then died after what seemed like an eternity. That will never happen again. I didn’t have the heart to tell me wife how long it felt like it took. I still tear up thinking about it.
Don't worry, it didn't suffer.

AmericanViking

Legendary
Founder
When you get over being selfish...that's when.

Get outta here with that crap.

Take the oldest of the kids when you do it.

You know, I hadn’t thought of that. I remember watching dad put down some cattle, dogs, and even some hogs we had. Hell, I had to bury my favorite dog of all time after dad put him down when I was 17 and Zeke (the dog) was 16. That one was rough.

TJHall1

Legendary

Now, this is jmo, lots will disagree. If you're asking like this, and the dog is struggling to get in and out to shit or piss, then its time. By extending its life you're not giving that dog anything, except more days of possible misery. You're the one that's getting something out of it by not having to deal with it being gone.

So I see where @Cre8ive is coming from. I don't have an answer for you. Like others said you'll know.

America 1st

Founder

You know, I hadn’t thought of that. I remember watching dad put down some cattle, dogs, and even some hogs we had. Hell, I had to bury my favorite dog of all time after dad put him down when I was 17 and Zeke (the dog) was 16. That one was rough.
Just because I’m that phaggot that cares more about dogs than people.

Fuck Walmart btw but you get the point.

America 1st

Founder

Get it on CBD as well.

Given yore posting history I’m certain this will be easy for you to figure out.

4n6tox

Poster
No right answer my friend. When they can't get up anymore kinda seems like the time. Before that point you have to make the call as an owner if you want this to be an emergency or if you two want this to be a going out on your own terms.

So hard and I'm sorry.

AmericanViking

Legendary
Founder
Now, this is jmo, lots will disagree. If you're asking like this, and the dog is struggling to get in and out to shit or piss, then its time. By extending its life you're not giving that dog anything, except more days of possible misery. You're the one that's getting something out of it by not having to deal with it being gone.

So I see where @Cre8ive is coming from. I don't have an answer for you. Like others said you'll know.

Honestly, it’s not avoiding dealing with it. I just want to make sure I don’t do it too early. Hopefully that makes sense.

AmericanViking

Legendary
Founder
If that picture is current then yore no where near ready IMO.

Dog looks so damn happy.

She’s pretty happy with loads of “I’m old fuck off” personality. And it doesn’t matter that getting up is hard she always does to make sure she’s in the same room as the family.

I’m concerned about this winter which is really what prompted the question. She has figured out to use the entry way door because it’s one step. In the summer we leave all doors open all day. The winter will be another story and I’m thinking she’s gonna say fuck it at the first snow.

America 1st

Founder
She’s pretty happy with loads of “I’m old fuck off” personality. And it doesn’t matter that getting up is hard she always does to make sure she’s in the same room as the family.

I’m concerned about this winter which is really what prompted the question. She has figured out to use the entry way door because it’s one step. In the summer we leave all doors open all day. The winter will be another story and I’m thinking she’s gonna say fuck it at the first snow.
Nah fam. DM if you need and we’ll come up with ideas as you go.

PowerMEGA

God Fearing Patriot
Founder
Very sad to hear about this OP. I think you'll feel it in your heart when you're ready.

When you do get to that decision, I would highly recommend a vet that comes to your home. I had to put our family cat down a few years ago. The vet that came does nothing but this kind of work, and she provides a service that is seamless with the local crematorium, etc. She came, Aurora went to sleep, and she took the kitty away with her. Extremely heartbreaking, but Aurora was as comfortable as could be.

GarneT&GolD1978

Finer Things Club President
Founder
So sorry, Patriot. I’ve had to put a couple down. You just know, man. There’s no handbook. You just know.

for me it was seeing what percentage of the day did the dog spring into action because he/she knew it was time to feed or go take a nice healthy shit in the neighbor’s yard or it was time to go fuck with some birds and piss on something new in the yard…. when those moments faded - I knew… I mean, for a dog, when that stuff fades - what’s the fucking point…

Prayers sent… Nothing will help you get over it. You just have to go through it. And don’t let anyone sugarcoat shit. It sucks balls. Nothing more.

AmericanViking

Legendary
Founder
Very sad to hear about this OP. I think you'll feel it in your heart when you're ready.

When you do get to that decision, I would highly recommend a vet that comes to your home. I had to put our family cat down a few years ago. The vet that came does nothing but this kind of work, and she provides a service that is seamless with the local crematorium, etc. She came, Aurora went to sleep, and she took the kitty away with her. Extremely heartbreaking, but Aurora was as comfortable as could be.

We don’t have that option out here with the vet. It’s either take her in or handle it like Old Yeller, which is where I’m leaning.

PowerMEGA

God Fearing Patriot
Founder
We don’t have that option out here with the vet. It’s either take her in or handle it like Old Yeller, which is where I’m leaning.
Man, that's brutal. That would be easier and less stressful for the dog. Instant death, no suffering. Not sure if I could do it myself, but you might be a stronger man than I am. Very sad for you and your family.

AmericanViking

Legendary
Founder
Well, taking Miss Addy in to be put down in an hour and a half. Over the last 48 hours her hair has started falling out (Demodectic mange), her legs are swollen this morning and she can barely walk which is probably heart failure. She also has blood in her slobbers and eyes this morning.

Last night she was in a lot of pain. She just laid there whimpering. We doctored the mange and gave her some Motrin and Benadryl to ease the pain. The shield maiden sat up with her and as long as she was petting her she didn’t wine. Once she fell asleep she slept hard. This morning she woke up and headed for the living room to be with her momma and she collapsed before getting there. Poor girl. She’s been a good pup.

This is after we doctored her up yesterday. Amazing how fast she went down hill.

1635345859304.jpeg

Edit: oh, four nights ago she was feeling rough and our little pup (Rocko) just sat beside her whimpering. We thought maybe she’d go that night. Guess he knew it was coming. He’s done it off and on since then but not like he did that night.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Well, taking Miss Addy in to be put down in an hour and a half. Over the last 48 hours her hair has started falling out (Demodectic mange), her legs are swollen this morning and she can barely walk which is probably heart failure. She also has blood in her slobbers and eyes this morning.

Last night she was in a lot of pain. She just laid there whimpering. We doctored the mange and gave her some Motrin and Benadryl to ease the pain. The shield maiden sat up with her and as long as she was petting her she didn’t wine. Once she fell asleep she slept hard. This morning she woke up and headed for the living room to be with her momma and she collapsed before getting there. Poor girl. She’s been a good pup.

This is after we doctored her up yesterday. Amazing how fast she went down hill.

View attachment 56056

Edit: oh, four nights ago she was feeling rough and our little pup (Rocko) just sat beside her whimpering. We thought maybe she’d go that night. Guess he knew it was coming. He’s done it off and on since then but not like he did that night.
Sorry to hear this. Have had to put down 4 pets over the years. It's no fun but you know when it's time when their quality of life goes away.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder

View attachment 56056

Man it is tough no doubt. This the one of hardest days you'll live. Take solace knowing you gave the pup a great life.

Very sorry buddy

Top Bottom