Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Home repair / renovation thread

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
I’m fucking tired. Spent basically the last three weekends moving servers from the forum office into my house. Had to rework my network and reorganize all my shit, but finally got done.

New server closet. I’m gonna need an hvac guy to come add a vent in there to keep it cool. Any ideas? It’s second floor so everything is in the attic. Another vent not far away so I might could do it myself

View attachment 113301
Just watch it during the winter, heat and servers do not mix. Make sure to make it one with a dampener to close

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
We paid a guy $170 Monday. He got out there the next day from when we talked to him. Worth it considering how bad it could have been
That isn't bad but I buy them for a ramp up system we have at work. They usually run 30-75.00 take a pic of how it is wired and you can usually get them at a local HVAC supply too. Good for yall though

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Good point. Didn’t think about that. I ordered a thermometer for the room so I’m gonna get some data points
I bought a unit when I was in the camper. Still need an exhaust duct and a way to dump condensation. I put it in a rubber tub and dumped it each day but thatd be a long term pain in the ass. I've seen some smaller new things that cool via moisture but thatd orob not be good for your needs

Edgehollow

Elite
Founder
They delivered the cabinets for our bar area Friday. Trying to decide if I want to do some sort of concrete countertop, or maybe having a local woodworker come up with some live edge countertops. I want something cool.

I've gotten extremely lazy working down there the last few weeks. Need to get back on it.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
I’m fucking tired. Spent basically the last three weekends moving servers from the forum office into my house. Had to rework my network and reorganize all my shit, but finally got done.

New server closet. I’m gonna need an hvac guy to come add a vent in there to keep it cool. Any ideas? It’s second floor so everything is in the attic. Another vent not far away so I might could do it myself

View attachment 113301
Thanks @Croot_Overlord !

Edgehollow

Elite
Founder

View attachment 113301
You could buy one of those portable AC units and vent it into the attic.

PleasureMoose

Legendary

View attachment 113301

little gunt work but its super simple. an HVAC company will bend you over for something like this

Edgehollow

Elite
Founder
Got 2 of my 5 interior doors up this weekend in the basement. Figured out I framed out 2 doors about a 2x4 too short, so I'm gonna have to cut out the header and redo it. Fortunately, it was to my mechanicals area and only one side is finished.

My wife is wanting some sort of brick/industrial look in the bathroom, so I'm having to wrap my head around lining up all the fake brick paneling 360 degrees around the room. Not looking forward to it.

Damn guy charged me 285 for 15 min worth of work including writing up the bill. Found out it was a $12 part.

I now change out the capacitors before I call them. When I first moved to my current house, I had to Google the part numbers to figure out which one it was, but it fucking worked!
You are not only buying time, you are buying knowledge, and it sounds like you got a good deal..........you forgot to mention driving there, gas in the vehicle, insurances, etc.

Damn guy could have told you that it was something more expensive and ass raped you...........again you got a good deal.

View attachment 113301
are you on a crawlspace or slab or on above ground floor?

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
ugh, sorry to hear that!

What was the leak coming from?
Two small pin size holes in the hot water line from the water heater to the house. I woke up on that Sunday to find water in my kitchen, breakfast area, enclosed patio and LR. Insurance to replace water soaked wall, kitchen/breakfast flooring and carpet in 60% of the house.

Biggest problem is moving a 1,000 pound player piano. Nobody wants an antique Starck piano. Two on eBay that are similar are asking 99 cents with no bids. I also have 113 piano rolls which are worth about $20 total. Considering sending it to recycle place just for the 800 pounds of metal in it.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Slab leak last Sunday. Plumber has repaired it but now waiting on walls, flooring and carpet to be replaced. Flooring person coming by today. Got a bid for the walls on Friday. House is a mess.
I love having a crawl space instead of a slab. Trying to catch an opossum currently. Fucking up my insulation down there. Heard it whining the other night and getting comfortable.
Let the hound in there on Friday night. I wanted him to snatch em up. Didn't get anything but I also haven't heard anything since.
Got a coon trap and threw cat food in yesterday. Will post results

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
I love having a crawl space instead of a slab. Trying to catch an opossum currently. Fucking up my insulation down there. Heard it whining the other night and getting comfortable.
Let the hound in there on Friday night. I wanted him to snatch em up. Didn't get anything but I also haven't heard anything since.
Got a coon trap and threw cat food in yesterday. Will post results
Dog could have frightened the opossum away. If you catch it, don't hit it in the head...it will laugh at you. i used to autopsy opossum's checking for rabies and their head is almost all skull and thick. I broke a hacksaw blade on one. Itsy bitsy brain too.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Dog could have frightened the opossum away. If you catch it, don't hit it in the head...it will laugh at you. i used to autopsy opossum's checking for rabies and their head is almost all skull and thick. I broke a hacksaw blade on one. Itsy bitsy brain too.
Scatter gun.

ill drive it a couple miles away and release. I'm not some sicko commie pinko fag. I'm not trying to hurt God's creatures bc the want a comfortable life.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Think I’m gonna change my fluorescent bulbs in my garage out to LEDs. Looks like a really straightforward rewiring

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Think I’m gonna change my fluorescent bulbs in my garage out to LEDs. Looks like a really straightforward rewiring
Let me know how that goes. I need to do the same in my kitchen. I've seen the YouTube videos. Looks easy but I'm no electrician.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Let me know how that goes. I need to do the same in my kitchen. I've seen the YouTube videos. Looks easy but I'm no electrician.
Yeah it seems straightforward. You basically go in and cut out everything in the middle. Connect all the wires from one side to hot. All the wires from the other side to neutral. And that seems like it

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Yeah it seems straightforward. You basically go in and cut out everything in the middle. Connect all the wires from one side to hot. All the wires from the other side to neutral. And that seems like it
That's easy for you to say!

All I know is electricity hurts. That's sufficient.

That's easy for you to say!

All I know is electricity hurts. That's sufficient.
There is an old saying that a good electrician told me: "black to brass will save your ass". Electrical is easy, just remember the above saying, and pay attention to details..........always protect your wires........

@Croot_Overlord..........be sure to have a physical connection when you connect your wires, and a wire nut is not a physical connection!

It is nice with LED fixtures as they dont require a ballast. You will enjoy.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
There is an old saying that a good electrician told me: "black to brass will save your ass". Electrical is easy, just remember the above saying, and pay attention to details..........always protect your wires........

@Croot_Overlord..........be sure to have a physical connection when you connect your wires, and a wire nut is not a physical connection!

It is nice with LED fixtures as they dont require a ballast. You will enjoy.
I needed a project for the weekend.

How are you doing man? You haven’t been on as much this week

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
I was talking to the guy across the street who has done this a few times and he said I would save myself a bunch of trouble just by changing out the ballast

I got a couple that were dead so I just bought the whole thing to get replaced to today and I’ll go from there

E4BC971B-6F2F-4F89-9817-4E0760C395D0.jpegF80D3256-53C6-4134-B6B5-C2C7E3CD3569.jpeg8DEC89DC-2009-4A6B-8225-A05CE40C9DA9.jpeg

Edgehollow

Elite
Founder
If they are on a switch, as long as the switch is off and you switch one wire at a time, you should be fine.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
I installed a couple sets of blinds as well. I’m about done for the day

I only did 2 of my 6 ballasts cause them fuckers were $75 a piece.

But very nice upgrade. I’ll probably put in two next month and two the month after

Top Bottom