Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Home built by 3D printer

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I feel like that is already impressive as shit, and just in its infancy. Already building small homes at half the price with higher profit?! Has to be the future of construction, right? If I owned a big home building company, I'd be thrilled about the possibilities of this...if I worked on building those homes in some capacity, I'd be nervous.

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
Would not want. Looks like it would blow over in the first storm.

120north

Elite
Founder
That's fucking crazy. I'm no home builder or architect, but they said they did that in two days with a three man crew. How is the water and gas piping getting set and electrical?
Ha, I was wondering exactly the same thing. It looks like there is an air gap between the walls so they could run most piping there. I would assume that they could block out for water and electrical using junction boxes. Having to drill or core through 2" concrete to install those necessities seems like a bitch. But when you basically build the house in 2 days, you have a bit more time to go back and do those sorts of things.

America 1st

Founder
For half the price, alot of folks will roll the dice. It is concrete, so at least it has some weight to it...has to be stronger than a mobile home, and possibly a wood framed house too.
Half the price of what tho...

Weight alone doesn't make a safe as structure. The old "bigger they are the harder they fall" adage.

One of life's few certainties is getting what you pay for.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder

Weight alone doesn't make a safe as structure. The old "bigger they are the harder they fall" adage.

True. Was just thinking about wind and flying debris in a tornado or hurricane. Concrete seems as safe as sheet rock, plywood and siding...but I am just guessing and not an expert on any of this.

America 1st

Founder
True. Was just thinking about wind and flying debris in a tornado or hurricane. Concrete seems as safe as sheet rock, plywood and siding...but I am just guessing and not an expert on any of this.
Flying debris is a real thing. That's usually why they tell you to go central or to a basement is possible (so it flys 'overtop').

Walls falling over because they are heavy and not structurally sound is a thing too.

It could be great stuff. I just wouldn't trust that process until I learned a lot more about it and saw it happen live from beginning to end vs the video they want me to see.

seems like a more solid version of a house built with cinder blocks.

but again, I’m just a pooper

22*43*51

Boob Enthusiast
Founder
I wonder if the way it is "poured" keeps it from cracking like traditional poured concrete does?

Any trades folk lurking?

120north

Elite
Founder
As far as flying debris is concerned, the 2" thickness of each wall is thicker than the wall on a CMU block. Also, cmu is around 1750 psi concrete maximum, this stuff is likely higher as it is seems to be a little bit of a stiffer mix. Their website claims 6000 psi, which is what I would expect. I think that this is sufficient for most building code projectile resistance. If you put in a something like horizontal joint reinforcing, you are essentially casting an in situ CMU wall. External walls, you would need some sort of vertical bars going into a foundation for overturning resistance. All in all, it seems like a pretty neat thing. You could get some crazy organic shapes out of this too with out complicated formwork. I would go ahead and do a cementitious parge over the ridges to make is look a bit better though.

Top Bottom