Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Here's a theory on why sports riots erupt

Let's take for example the riots in Vancouver. 16:53

It's the final game of the Trophy Finals! - The oddball game 7 that decides who takes all today/tonight. And to just lose that Grand Trophy to the opposing team - especially after coming this far into the Sports Trophy Championships is just too much for the fans to bear! Only compounded by the alcohol coursing through the people's bodies and impeding their ability to process their actions properly. Not to mention that year marks the sports team's special occasional year (I.E., an anniversary). - And it's at the home team's ice rink compounded by a shutout from the visiting team - which adds more insult to injury.

So... what better way to vent out one's frustration and rage... than to destroy stuff? And by stuff, I mean anything - and I mean literally anything within one's view and reach? Including overhead power lines, traffic lights on suspension poles, overhead flag poles on highrise buildings, etc. Not only that, those enraged people feel the need to find someone to engage in fights with to relieve the rage from within them after what they just bore witness to.

So, why not try this strategy to keep everybody's moods in check: First, clear the streets of everything and anything that can be broken, thrown, or used as a weapon (I don't care how big or small that "thing" is, people get creative - one way or another). Next, vendors should only serve beverages in plastic containers, so there's no broken glass or bottles to step on. Third, use undercover officers so you blend in with the crowd and arrest unruly "fans" with the element of surprise. This is the strategy La Crosse Wisconsin police used to keep canoe race riots from erupting again. - And you certainly don't want to pose as the "enemy" who incites the crowd.

Last edited:

MechaJutaro

Poster
Same reason so many folks who've been out of elementary school for a loooooooooong fucking time are still groaning over how awful Star Wars has been since the prequels, and the "decline" of The MCU post-Endgame, as if any of those movies conveyed profound thought to begin with*.... We moderns living in rich, Post-Industrial societies have the luxury of bawling over the most infantile things

*Yeah, I love the first Avengers flick, and have nothing but praise for The Winter Soldier and GOTG I-II. Let's not pretend that any of this shit is anything more than comfort food though

Canadians raise their children to play hockey; it's the country's national sport. And to lose that Stanley Cup is just too much for them to bear! Not only did the team lose, their fans turned into losers.

Some enraged people want to lay waste before leaving. They start harrassing innocent people who are trying to clear out - it's like they need a villain to fight. Hooligans go from rocking vehicles... ...to turning them upside down and wrecking them. - That's a sure way to drive up anyone's insurance costs. Anything abandoned, unlocked, or unprotected on the open streets becomes these morons' idea of a "smashing" good time. After all, what better way to show team support than to foolishly wreck and char other peoples' stuff?

Officers converge on the scene hoping to dispand the reckless delinquients. But the sight of police uniforms doesn't wash away the sea of fan jerseys.

Officer on bullhorn: Disperse immediately! If you don't you may be arrested or subject to other police action.

It looks like lawmen will have to kick some tails! And when clubs don't make a dent, they let loose with rubber rounds and tear gas. The maniacs scatter at the sound of the blast. But there's still plenty of drunks left behind. At this point, with this many angry people, you just have to clear the streets, like... how many people can you arrest? All these people gathered to watch a game and have fun and by night, they all turn into criminals, because their emotions got the better of them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom