Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Help a FSF brother out - Mechanical question

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Trying to put gas in my boat. The tank is not full. Its showing about a quarter to half tank and I believe that to be accurate for several reasons. However, when i go to put the gas in the tank, the pump quits like the tank is full after about 3-4 seconds. It took my almost an hour to pump in 30 gallons (I really wanted to go out on the boat).

I have googled (binged actually) the problem and it says something about an air release valve or some type of release valve that may be disrupting the flow of gas into the tank. I can't find any such valve.

Trying to avoid taking it in and pumping gas for an hour. Anyone had similar problems and found a solution?

1622114288670.png

Cre8ive

Shaping the Future of Reality
Founder
Trying to put gas in my boat. The tank is not full. Its showing about a quarter to half tank and I believe that to be accurate for several reasons. However, when i go to put the gas in the tank, the pump quits like the tank is full after about 3-4 seconds. It took my almost an hour to pump in 30 gallons (I really wanted to go out on the boat).

I have googled (binged actually) the problem and it says something about an air release valve or some type of release valve that may be disrupting the flow of gas into the tank. I can't find any such valve.

Trying to avoid taking it in and pumping gas for an hour. Anyone had similar problems and found a solution?

I had a similar problem with a car years back. The solution for me was to hover the fuel hose and not let it touch the metal intake point. It seemed to have something to do with static electricity. I was a bit of a pain, but it worked.

poke2001

Poster
Founder

I think it may be a prostate issue.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
I had a similar problem with a car years back. The solution for me was to hover the fuel hose and not let it touch the metal intake point. It seemed to have something to do with static electricity. I was a bit of a pain, but it worked.
I tried this. I tried sticking the nozzle all the way in, i tried just the tip, and no tip. Couldn't get it to take the load of gas.

Im thinking of buying a long skinny plastic rod and putting it down the tank to see if there is anything obstructing it.

I see a few other examples of people having similar problems online, but no real solutions other than a valve somewhere that a couple people have said worked.

TJHall1

Legendary
Its the valve. Had the exact same problem with a truck about 5 yrs ago. If you have an air compressor you can try to blow air in while sealing it with your hand to try and loosen the valve with air pressure. It works sometimes, otherwise you have to replace the valve.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Its the valve. Had the exact same problem with a truck about 5 yrs ago. If you have an air compressor you can try to blow air in while sealing it with your hand to try and loosen the valve with air pressure. It works sometimes, otherwise you have to replace the valve.

Sounds like something I could try. How do i make sure i don't blow myself up?

Jtrain80

Legendary
I tried this. I tried sticking the nozzle all the way in, i tried just the tip, and no tip. Couldn't get it to take the load of gas.

Im thinking of buying a long skinny plastic rod and putting it down the tank to see if there is anything obstructing it.

I see a few other examples of people having similar problems online, but no real solutions other than a valve somewhere that a couple people have said worked.

Wife's car had the same problem. Come to find out her or my daughter ran it out of gas and tried to fill it with myblawn mower gas can. Somehow managed to break something off in the gas tank that got stuck and clogged tunnel to reservoir.

People wonder why I am always pissed.

Cre8ive

Shaping the Future of Reality
Founder

I think you're on the right track with a rubber extension. I know it's a pisser. Good luck!

Cyberty

Elite
Founder
Did this happen at the same gas pump you have used before?

I ask because different pumps have different flow rates. If the flow rate is too high for the interior gas pipe to the tank, the gas will back up and trip the overflow sensor on the gas pump handle.

Try at a different pump. Also you can modulate the flow rate by not opening the valve handle all the way. Most pump handles have graduated handle hold slots to open valve in three different flow rates.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Did this happen at the same gas pump you have used before?

I ask because different pumps have different flow rates. If the flow rate is too high for the interior gas pipe to the tank, the gas will back up and trip the overflow sensor on the gas pump handle.

Try at a different pump. Also you can modulate the flow rate by not opening the valve handle all the way. Most pump handles have graduated handle hold slots to open valve in three different flow rates.

Its happened on 3 separate occasions. The first time i didn't even notice, I just got a cheap gas bill and thought the tank must have already been pretty full.

The second time I let my father - in - law borrow it and he told me he filled it up. Im sure he intended to fill it up(?) but when i got to the boat there was still plenty of room left in the tank and he told me it didn't take much gas.

Couple days ago when i went to fuel up before putting in the water and it starts clicking right away. I can get about 2-4 seconds of gas in and then it starts backing up. But I also got 30 gallons in the tank overall, so i know the fuel guage is most likely correct.

Heading to check and see if I can find the elusive vent shortly.

BurntJ

B2B Champ/ Feels Great to be King!
Founder

😳😳😳
I think you responded to the wrong poster here...see below

I think it may be a prostate issue.

Cyberty

Elite
Founder
Its happened on 3 separate occasions. The first time i didn't even notice, I just got a cheap gas bill and thought the tank must have already been pretty full.

The second time I let my father - in - law borrow it and he told me he filled it up. Im sure he intended to fill it up(?) but when i got to the boat there was still plenty of room left in the tank and he told me it didn't take much gas.

Couple days ago when i went to fuel up before putting in the water and it starts clicking right away. I can get about 2-4 seconds of gas in and then it starts backing up. But I also got 30 gallons in the tank overall, so i know the fuel guage is most likely correct.

Heading to check and see if I can find the elusive vent shortly.
Did you try to slow the flow?

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Did you try to slow the flow?
I tried every which way imaginable. I can’t find the vent switch. I did find a compartment with access to the fuel tank area but don’t see anything obvious.

also, as of today the gas gauge stopped working completely. Fucking boats ....

JerBearr

I recommend filling a red portable gas tank for the time being. That won't limit your fuel filling rate :)

Thank you for coming to my Ted talk

lhpvol

Poster
What kind of boat? Is this a new to you boat or just a new issue with your old boat? Are you filling it differently than before (ie on the trailer vs on the water)? It definitely sounds like a venting issue. Some vents are run beside the fill hose and you cant see the opening. Others are vented to a different location. If its a new issue on your same boat,then there is probably an obstruction in the vent line, as others have said. Boats are weird though. Sometimes something as simple as turning the nozzle upside down to let the gas flow in at a slightly different angle will fix the issue. Sometimes you have to reroute a vent hose. A little more detail and I may be able to help further. Otherwise, just barely hold the nozzle open and let the gas trickle in. Its a pain but itll get there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom