Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Have we ranked guitarists?

skramer100

Elite
Founder
This is solid stuff too:

Came to post him and Knopfler. I saw Prince live in St. Pete in 2002 or 03 he was amazing. He came out for second set by himself and an acoustic guitar. Played all his 80's pop hits. It has made Little Red Corvette one of my favorite songs. Guy was a genius with music and was sick on the guitar.

Also agree with @crootoverlord with David Gilmour. That guy can bend strings like nobody else.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Not the greatest but three of my favorites. Jerry Garcia, Warren Haynes, and Mikey Houser.

grateful-dead-1981-jerry-playing-tiger.jpg

HyGgwxZe4hJ9eWVwZjKDt6.jpg

image519gx-300x.jpg
Is that Bill Murray on the drums?

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I’ve been listening to music for 7 decades. Here are my top 5
1. Hendrix
2. Clapton
3. Jimmy Page
4. SRV
5. Duane Allman

That is a damn fine top 5. I somehow just learned a few months ago that my Dad saw Jimi Henrix & Led Zeppelin, amongst others, at the Atlanta Pop Festival. I was lucky enough to see Jimmy Page & Robert Plant in 1998. Page could still play the shit out of the guitar, hellofa show.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
any list needs Toy Caldwell and Steve Gaines

Love Marshall Tucker Band. They grew up in my hometown & my family knows/knew most of those guys. Big Skynyrd fan too. I'd say those two are great musicians and some of my favorites, but would not have them in the top 5 of all time. Gaines especially, very underrated though imo.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
An underrated one is Vince Gill. Here is a good song with the Time Jumpers. Went ahead & cut to some Vince Gill guitar, but the whole song is good.

Also this one-

44Bobcats55

Elite
Founder
Came to post him and Knopfler. I saw Prince live in St. Pete in 2002 or 03 he was amazing. He came out for second set by himself and an acoustic guitar. Played all his 80's pop hits. It has made Little Red Corvette one of my favorite songs. Guy was a genius with music and was sick on the guitar.

Also agree with @crootoverlord with David Gilmour. That guy can bend strings like nobody else.
RIP @purplehaze

JuliusLeRoy

Elite
Founder
never been into ranking guitarists…seen too many guys you’ll never hear of in a band in a bar that can play the crap out of a guitar…guess my ear isn’t that discerning…that said…Angus!!!!!!

Cowboy1stn10

Elite
An underrated one is Vince Gill. Here is a good song with the Time Jumpers. Went ahead & cut to some Vince Gill guitar, but the whole song is good.

Also this one-

Saw some interview with him a while ago, he talked about being offered to join Dire Straits but had to turn it down bc he had just signed his first deal. That may be common knowledge, but it was news to me.

ShaolinNole

Legendary
Never got the love for Zakk Wylde in Ozzy. He’s basically fast and uses harmonics a lot. Obviously people know about Randy. But after that, Jake E Lee was the superior technical guitarist and also has a better feel for blues rock in Badlands. Jake was better live than any of them. I do like Zack’s Book of Shadows, but not much of any of his Ozzy work. If Jake would have shifted to blues rock (instead of metal) and not quit playing guitar for a decade, he’d be mentioned right up there with Bonamassa and Trucks.

Top Bottom