Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ham radio users GITT

Chris Farley

Misunderstood lurker
Founder
I have no idea what I’m doing or wHat anything means. Can someone explain the basics to me and what radio I should get. I’m a mild prepper and want to be able to reach out if needed. Thank you.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
So from what I've read it is better to start off with a higher end 'Walkie Talkie" type deal than going straight for standing up a giant antenna in your backyard.

I've seen this one recommended:

Edit: Currently unavailable on Amazon but hopefully it gives a decent example

Here's what I posted yesterday. Apparently it got merged into the 'dance your cares away' thread.

Hi, long time tMB lurker, and licensed ham operator here. I might be able to fill you in some.

First of all, do you have a license? You have to have a license to transmit on the ham bands. However, you don't have to have a license to own a radio or listen. Access to the bands grows as you upgrade in license classification.

Second, what are you looking to do? Ham radio has several different frequency bands that have different characteristics. UHF/VHF bands, like the Baofeng mentioned above utilize, are generally short range/local communications. On the other hand, the HF bands can get you across the country, and around the world when conditions are favorable.

You should be able to pick up a good older HF rig on ebay in your price range. Dual band UHF/VHF (2 meters/70 cm) routinely run within your price range. I'll also add, there are digital modes like DMR and D-STAR that use the internet to facilitate communications that you can get into for well under $500.

Hope this helps.

cktraider

Poster
Founder
So from what I've read it is better to start off with a higher end 'Walkie Talkie" type deal than going straight for standing up a giant antenna in your backyard.

I've seen this one recommended:

Edit: Currently unavailable on Amazon but hopefully it gives a decent example
I bought something very similar to this and was told you need to buy the Nagoya NA-771 antennas as well. Big upgrade over the factory antenna. If someone knows how to dumb down the process of setting one up I am all ears. Can't seem to get mine to transmit very far at all, but am also waiting on the new antennas.

I bought something very similar to this and was told you need to buy the Nagoya NA-771 antennas as well. Big upgrade over the factory antenna. If someone knows how to dumb down the process of setting one up I am all ears. Can't seem to get mine to transmit very far at all, but am also waiting on the new antennas.
That new antenna is a direct replacement. There is no configuration with that.

Make sure you are operating on high power. The easiest way to program a Baofeng is to use the programming cable along with CHIRP software.
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

I have a UV5-R, they are decent little radios for the price, but they are low powered and have limited range. They work ok if you are in close proximity to repeater, but on simplex (radio to radio) you'll be limited..

cktraider

Poster
Founder
That new antenna is a direct replacement. There is no configuration with that.

Make sure you are operating on high power. The easiest way to program a Baofeng is to use the programming cable along with CHIRP software.
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

I have a UV5-R, they are decent little radios for the price, but they are low powered and have limited range. They work ok if you are in close proximity to repeater, but on simplex (radio to radio) you'll be limited..
Ya sorry I meant configuration of the actual radio. So far it won't even transmit over 500 yds so I assume I have a setting wrong. So if I bought this mainly for use on a hunting lease in the middle of nowhere my range won't be very good? It is a pretty big tract of land w/ some small mountains also. Any ballpark idea on range? The farthest distance would be around 5 miles, mostly would need something 3-4 miles.

Ya sorry I meant configuration of the actual radio. So far it won't even transmit over 500 yds so I assume I have a setting wrong. So if I bought this mainly for use on a hunting lease in the middle of nowhere my range won't be very good? It is a pretty big tract of land w/ some small mountains also. Any ballpark idea on range? The farthest distance would be around 5 miles, mostly would need something 3-4 miles.
It should go that distance, depending on terrain. I've used mine at distances greater than that, but I was using the antenna you were talking about. That antenna will help a great deal. I'd check the power setting too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom