Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Gods and Generals

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
Is there a more disappointing 4 1/2 hrs than that?

The nerd in me almost wishes they wouldn't have produced it at all rather than trying to jam what should be at least 40 1/2 of film into that rendition.

No 2nd Bull Run... I mean come on 😭

I intend to start a continuous series of threads around the war (on this side cuz fuck trolls) for all the other nerds / buffs out there. Any contributions are much appreciated!

/SPOILER]

America 1st

Founder
It really was disappointing. I had the chance to be in the movie but couldn’t make the trip.
I'd be interested in hearing more about this if you are willing to share?

preshlock

Poster
easily one of the most disappointing movies I've ever seen. I actually got in trouble for seeing it because my and a couple of my friends snuck out from the military college I was going to at the time. Like OP said pretty much just a lengthy power point presentation. I have not seen it since it came out and the only thing I even vaguely remember was Chancellorsville.

America 1st

Founder
easily one of the most disappointing movies I've ever seen. I actually got in trouble for seeing it because my and a couple of my friends snuck out from the military college I was going to at the time. Like OP said pretty much just a lengthy power point presentation. I have not seen it since it came out and the only thing I even vaguely remember was Chancellorsville.
The only thing they get right is the demeanor of Lee and Jackson.

Besides that the movie actually does more harm than good in portraying the various sentiments of the war across the time frame being depicted IMO.

As awful as the Fredericksburg scene is it's my belief that even there they failed to properly encapsulate how awful that would have been to live through especially from the Reb side.

America 1st

Founder
Bought Gettysburg and Ken Burns Civil War series back in the spring...afraid every Civil War movie or doc will ultimately get #cancelled in the PC war
Obviously have had Gettysburg since the original VHS but went ahead and did both again as well a few months ago.

Can never be too careful with these bastards these days.

Here are some other good ones people should rip and save before they get yanked from history:

This whole channel is awesome for anyone interested. I know it's youtube but maybe someone with time can transfer to bitslide for posterity?

Obviously have had Gettysburg since the original VHS but went ahead and did both again as well a few months ago.

Can never be too careful with these bastards these days.

Here are some other good ones people should rip and save before they get yanked from history:

This whole channel is awesome for anyone interested. I know it's youtube but maybe someone with time can transfer to bitslide for posterity?

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

I took my oldest son to tour the Franklin battlefield a few weeks ago. I could’ve stayed a lot longer than we did and would highly recommend if ever around middle Tennessee.

Then fell down the Battle of Franklin YouTube rabbit hole...

America 1st

Founder
More on Battle of Franklin. Really like how this dude’s videos walked through Carnton and Carter House to show the impact on civilians. He has some other cool stuff on his channel..

Great stuff. Appreciate you sharing!

Franklin is really an amazing battle to learn from especially when it comes to the psychological aspects of war. It's hard to imagine what many a young boy was thinking as they organized in those lines one last time.

Great stuff. Appreciate you sharing!

Franklin is really an amazing battle to learn from especially when it comes to the psychological aspects of war. It's hard to imagine what many a young boy was thinking as they organized in those lines one last time.
Absolutely. Having to cross 2.5 miles of open fields at that stage of the war knowing you are going to be mowed down. It’s hard to even imagine...

The story about Captain Tod Carter is incredible. Joined in 1861, was in multiple western theater campaigns, captured in Chattanooga, escaped by jumping off a train in Ohio heading for a POW camp, made his way back to the Army of Tennessee only to be killed leading a charge against Union forces who were entrenched around his house...literally his own back yard....while his family sheltered in the basement. Just wow...

Top Bottom