Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

For you Dead Heads and ABB fans....

MIZCDB

Elite
Founder
I stumbled across this extended history of the relationship between the two greatest jam
bands to ever do it. It’s looooong and fascinating. The various links to the shows throughout the article are killer. I have been listening to them all weekend. Link is below.

Icculus

Poster
Thanks for posting. Down with the wuhan willies and needed something to read because I’m bored as hell.
Jerry and Duane had a beautiful relationship. Gregg didn’t like them because Jer called him a Narc and said their drummers sounded like shoes in a dryer. He was obviously a jealous of Jer’s Sainthood

Cleetus7

Poster
Founder
Awesome read, thanks for posting.

I'm a born and bred 1980 guy, Allmans are in my blood. My uncle was a huge deadhead and followed the band in the 80's (always said he sat Brent side, that's where the party was according to him lol). He introduced me in HS and I've been a head ever since. I really love the Whipping Post and Spanish jam from 71 with Jerry and the Allmans. Best of both worlds imo: Jerry's spacy improv solos with Duane's blues tone and awesome chops.

This reminds me of the Clapton/Duane stories as well. Real recognizes real

Sparty1045

Elite
Founder
VxiwBoG.gif

Peach-head

Poster
Awesome read, thanks for posting.

I'm a born and bred 1980 guy, Allmans are in my blood. My uncle was a huge deadhead and followed the band in the 80's (always said he sat Brent side, that's where the party was according to him lol). He introduced me in HS and I've been a head ever since. I really love the Whipping Post and Spanish jam from 71 with Jerry and the Allmans. Best of both worlds imo: Jerry's spacy improv solos with Duane's blues tone and awesome chops.

This reminds me of the Clapton/Duane stories as well. Real recognizes real

Have you read sky dog or the Claptons autobiography? Both great reads. The Layla box set is phenomenal too. A lot of alternate recordings and jams between the two.

Nape

Elite
Founder
I was at the last show 7/9/95. We were parked in the South lot and a good pal dosed mid afternoon and then again before we went in. We were walking through Shakedown St and he fucking flipped his lid. He stripped all of his clothes off and started running towards Lakeshore Drive. Cops saw him and finally tackled him. We were in pursuit but realized there was nothing we could do. We went into the show and it was a bit tattered and torn for a Dead show. We were constantly wondering what happened to Joe.

I get home around 2am and my wife has been freaking out. The University of Chicago hospital has been calling and leaving messages to call them. Remember, cell phones were not ubiquitous then and she thought it was me. She called back and found out it was my pal Joe. He wasn’t from here and had no local family so he gave them my number. I had to get back into the car and drive to Hyde Park to get him out. I got there and they had him strapped down to the bed as tight as a bale of hay. LOLOLOL. He was glad to see me, for sure. I couldn’t imagine tripping balls in a bright hospital room while strapped down. Needless to say, I have another reason to remember Jerry’s last show.

Last edited:

Hb35

Poster
One of the most suprising, yet telling, statements in there is the very last paragraph, when Dick Lavatla says that 90’s Dead was bad.

Sucks that that was all I was old enough to catch.

Icculus

Poster
Finally got finished with that essay! I’d read a lot of stuff but had some stuff I’d never heard. The radio show in Boston story is great.

Some banter ensues, and Garcia coughs into the mike.
DJ: “Oh, my earphones!”
Garcia: “I’m sorry, man.”
DJ: “Even Jerry Garcia’s cough is melodic.”

Jer wasn’t always at his best but his soul was always bleeding through in his music. The way he’s take a simple melody and turn it into a beautiful well thought out jam is still incredible to me as a guitarist (been playing 17 years). I know he’s not for everyone, but in my eyes there isn’t a better guitarist. Something about his playing that hits me different than any other guitarist.

Top Bottom