Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Football is Back - USFL 2022 Official Thread

OTD Sports

Elite
Last edited:

OTD Sports

Elite
Can we get a summary of the weekend football events @OffTheDeck ?

Does it seem like it's worth following?
It's good football. Definitely a talent gap from NFL to USFL as it's a minor league. These guys play with heart because they want to keep their football careers alive and are playing for love of the game.

There is talent though. On the opening game broadcast, it was stated the Birmingham Stallions had over 94 combined NFL starts amongst its defense.

OTD Sports

Elite
Birmingham packed the house with fans for its first game. You have to question USFL's decision to play all the games in Birmingham. Maybe this wIll help the league survive because there are no travel costs or multiple facilities to fund. However, it's a ghost town for the non-Stallion games. Birmingham doesn't have the population or incomes to fill all those seats every game each week.

Last edited:

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Watched a little of one of the games and I’m pretty sure they didn’t allow fans in the stadium.
I kind of enjoyed the overall product but thought they would at least have a few fans.

TJHall1

Legendary
Whatever game was on last night ..... i don't think there was 1 fan in the stadium. Not exaggerating, ill see if i can find a pic
Yes, I know. But it's not because fans aren't allowed. Every game is played in 1 stadium. Who do you expect to show up on a Monday night when a couple days before they were all there already to watch the hometown team?

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Here's a video showing fans last night. That game was also postponed from Sunday, another reason no one showed up. Its Alabama, they're not restricting fans.

Oh, i was bullshitting about them not letting fans in. Guess i didn't make that obvious. I just meant that no one was there, wasn't being serious about them not letting people through the gates.

TJHall1

Legendary
Cot damn you are busting my balls this morning :mad:. Look at the picture, there are maybe 25 fans in that picture. That is shit no matter if its monday night or not. It was just and observation and not meant to be literal. Give your boy a break!

View attachment 94749
"Not exaggerating."

All im doing is showing you there were fans. That's not busting balls. 17,500 attendance for the first game. Like I said, what do you expect for a postponed game after fans already attented multiple of these games, in a town of 200,000?

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Birmingham packed the house with fans for its first game. You have to question USFL's decision to play all the games in Birmingham. Maybe this wIll help the league survive because there are no travel costs or multiple facilities to fund. However, it's a ghost town for the non-Stallion games. Birmingham doesn't have the population or incomes to fill all those seats every game each week.
I just found out yesterday that all the games are in Birmingham. Seems like they made the decision based on a covid bubble thought process and it’s coming back to bite them.

Although it really could cut costs for the enterprise as a whole staying in one spot, but why pick such a shithole city

TJHall1

Legendary
I just found out yesterday that all the games are in Birmingham. Seems like they made the decision based on a covid bubble thought process and it’s coming back to bite them.

Although it really could cut costs for the enterprise as a whole staying in one spot, but why pick such a shithole city
That was their original plan all along. Had nothing to do with covid. Like you said th driving force was to cut costs and they don't care about attendance as all their money is coming from TV. If I remember correctly they were going to reevaluate after season 1 and see if they could afford games in the team's cities.
I do think they have to play the championship somewhere else, Canton maybe?

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
That was their original plan all along. Had nothing to do with covid. Like you said th driving force was to cut costs and they don't care about attendance as all their money is coming from TV. If I remember correctly they were going to reevaluate after season 1 and see if they could afford games in the team's cities.
That makes more sense. It would be cool to see this catch on, but damn they are following a path that many have failed on

TJHall1

Legendary
That makes more sense. It would be cool to see this catch on, but damn they are following a path that many have failed on
Ya, and plus I read a couple days ago that executives from the xfl met with a whole load of player agents and said their pay and benefits would be better than the usfl. Also said they would pay full boarding and food, when usfl is only doing like half of boarding for the players. Something's gotta give with 1 of them for sure.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Ya, and plus I read a couple days ago that executives from the xfl met with a whole load of player agents and said their pay and benefits would be better than the usfl. Also said they would pay full boarding and food, when usfl is only doing like half of boarding for the players. Something's gotta give with 1 of them for sure.
conspiracy theory: the NFL is behind this divisiveness to keep anything from gaining traction

P.S sry for calling you out in smitty’s thread - you know I like you

BLatta12

Administrator
Administrator

"Football Capital of the South"

BLatta12

Administrator
Administrator
Yeah, the playoffs are in Canton, Ohio.

OTD Sports

Elite
conspiracy theory: the NFL is behind this divisiveness to keep anything from gaining traction

P.S sry for calling you out in smitty’s thread - you know I like you
Supposedly the NFL has been working with the USFL to use it as a development league for officials and non-rostered players.

Excerpt from an article on foxsports.com:

"The USFL will have the best officials not currently in the NFL," said Mike Pereira, USFL Head of Officiating. "Our association with the NFL Officiating Department clearly serves the USFL by supplying officials who are ready to call games at the highest level, and it also benefits the NFL by providing professional game experience for those who are just a step away from working Sundays in the fall. In fact, I expect several officials calling USFL games this spring to officiate in the NFL later this year."

Top Bottom