Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Florida Surf Fishing

I am El Nino

Poster
Going to Florida at the end of May near Ft. Myers. Aside from spoons what should I bring to fish on the beach? Plastic shrimp, cranks?.? Doesn't matter what I catch, just going to get a couple of meals when we're down there. My dad and BIL caught a bunch of Spanish mackerel and a couple of pompano using spoons, but just wondered what else to try. Thanks.

Mmal7777

Elite
Founder
Well they didn’t catch pompano with spoons. Maybe a sand flea jig. What kind of fishing are you doing? Sitting on the beach or in a boat? I fish a bunch and I’m happy to give you some pointers.

I am El Nino

Poster
Likely just wading off the beach. I used plastic shrimp jigs in Louisiana many moons ago and caught flounder and sea trout, but didn't know if something like that would work.

Mmal7777

Elite
Founder
Likely just wading off the beach. I used plastic shrimp jigs in Louisiana many moons ago and caught flounder and sea trout, but didn't know if something like that would work.
It’s most likely not going to be that way. You need a 10 foot poll, a decent size reel (350+), pompano rigs, and a good bait. I use sand fleas when I can catch them, and peeled 1/3 of a shrimp when I can’t.
I make my own pompano rigs but you’d need someone to show you how to do that. It does increase your success rate.
You also need a cooler of beer and a lot of patience. Fish early and late. When the sun is just above or below the horizon is the best time. Always be watching your polls and have as many out as possible. I fish with four sometimes when I’m serious fishing. Don’t give up, you’ll get one or two but it’s not easy fishing.

Mmal7777

Elite
Founder
It’s most likely not going to be that way. You need a 10 foot poll, a decent size reel (350+), pompano rigs, and a good bait. I use sand fleas when I can catch them, and peeled 1/3 of a shrimp when I can’t.
I make my own pompano rigs but you’d need someone to show you how to do that. It does increase your success rate.
You also need a cooler of beer and a lot of patience. Fish early and late. When the sun is just above or below the horizon is the best time. Always be watching your polls and have as many out as possible. I fish with four sometimes when I’m serious fishing. Don’t give up, you’ll get one or two but it’s not easy fishing.
Cast right where the waves are breaking. They hang out there and wait for the waves to stir up the sand fleas. Or look for deep pockets in between the sand bar. That’s probably the best place but you have to do some walking to find them.

I am El Nino

Poster
Thanks, the pompano rigs look sorta like walleye setups when looking online. I'll be set there. I'll be good with the beer as well. As long as I can fight something other than the wife while I'm there I'm good.

Mmal7777

Elite
Founder
Thanks, the pompano rigs look sorta like walleye setups when looking online. I'll be set there. I'll be good with the beer as well. As long as I can fight something other than the wife while I'm there I'm good.
If you take one thing away from this conversation it is fish early and late.

Top Bottom