Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Florida residents

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder

It's so true, I have not evacuated for a hurricane since Opal in 1995 (my first). I sleep through them now and wake up in the morning to start the cleanup. Had two tree's land on my house (over my bedroom) during Sally in Sept and slept right through it. Woke up and walked out my back door and thought my house had been picked up and dropped in a forest.

skramer100

Elite
Founder
New resident is perfect. I would say younger people are more likely to ride out a 3, I know I would have. Now that I have kids and 3 other places in the state to run to I would think hard about leaving a 3. Also when I put my shutters up. 4 or 5 get the fuck outta town. 1 or 2 enjoy the show and love the next 2 days with zero humidity.

skramer100

Elite
Founder
Remember my freshman year at FSU Opal came into town. Went to my first hurricane party that night. They had kegs and they put them outside in the back yard. Played asshole for hours. Asshole had to run outside in the hurricane and fill 2 pitchers with beer. Great night.

PawPower1981

I love those 👩🏻‍🦰
Founder
Hurricane parties are awesome, the last one that hit was like a CAT 2, me and my neighbor were in his garage drinking. I was in a CAT 4 Hugo when I lived in Charleston, so not scurred

Lethal34fl2

Poster
Founder
I’m only leaving if it’s a cat 4 or 5, lived in Naples for 30 years before moving up to where I am now ( central FL). I’ve been through plenty of hurricanes, Andrew, Charlie, Wilma, and Irma. Things definitely changed once we had children, I wouldn’t take a chance with them where before I could hunker down in our closet if I had to.

skramer100

Elite
Founder
Let's see them tackle snow tho...
To follow up on my earlier post, we partied for the hurricane. As a young freshman from NJ I was just intersted in the party. But just 3 months later, as a cold January morning produced about a 1/4 inch of frost, all classes were cancelled. Mainly because the government didn't want to come in and if school was open they had to come in. I couldn't believe it. Frost cancelled school.

BigBucnNole

Elite
I rode out the last three hurricanes. Closest was Michael and we had 80 mph winds knockings pines down. I went outside at one point to see, and then I realized I could've been florida man in flipflops killed by a falling tree just because I wanted to "feel the wind."

TopHook

Legendary
Founder
Hurricane parties are awesome, the last one that hit was like a CAT 2, me and my neighbor were in his garage drinking. I was in a CAT 4 Hugo when I lived in Charleston, so not scurred
The only hurrican we left for was hugo. Only because dad had a realtor convention in charrlott and he wanted us to go stay with grandma in Bishopville where the eye went through.

MasturGator

Poster
Founder
I was born and raised the Chad but after the eye of Michael passed over my house and I had 75k worth of insurance claims (over 60 miles inshore), I’m hesitant about riding out another 3+. That motherfucker was clocked at category 5 winds by the local airport, again 60 miles inshore. It was like war torn Baghdad trying to get through town. No power for a month. Tarps on every roof. I still haven’t totally settled up with my contractor, hoping I can in the next month.

TL;DR I’m no longer Chad

MittRomneysDrawers

Poster
Founder
Came to Orlando in 2010. Wife has been passed away two years, and both sons will soon be out. Big house, big yard blah blah. Too much for me though I've said elsewhere I might rent rooms.

Does anyone know how the Condos in NSB hold up during a massive storm? I thought about getting a 2BR, as we all work from home now anyway. I know the HOA sucks, but I was curious how they held up during storms? I was walking the beach one day and noticed some have built-in metal pull-downs to cover Windows.

Scalp_Em

Poster
Founder
Accurate....current house is a fortress with PGT hurricane windows and doors ....near the coast but out of a flood zone, it would have to be biblical for the lake to flood my house...I rode out Charley in an inferior house with no shutters and with the eye going straight over my head, it was definitely an experience...After the shit show some friends had evacuating for Irma and the nightmare on the roads evacuating and coming back, I’m staying put.

Long cat

Elite
I rode out the last three hurricanes. Closest was Michael and we had 80 mph winds knockings pines down. I went outside at one point to see, and then I realized I could've been florida man in flipflops killed by a falling tree just because I wanted to "feel the wind."
I mean, the dog has to pee and I’m not sending her out there by herself.

Long cat

Elite
Came to Orlando in 2010. Wife has been passed away two years, and both sons will soon be out. Big house, big yard blah blah. Too much for me though I've said elsewhere I might rent rooms.

Does anyone know how the Condos in NSB hold up during a massive storm? I thought about getting a 2BR, as we all work from home now anyway. I know the HOA sucks, but I was curious how they held up during storms? I was walking the beach one day and noticed some have built-in metal pull-downs to cover Windows.
They hold up pretty good in storms. Until they don’t and you get hit with a $100k assessment.

pro tip - if there are a few condos at one place for sale that seem like they are all a pretty good price they are about to have a big assessment.

yankmenoodle

Elite
I’m only leaving if it’s a cat 4 or 5, lived in Naples for 30 years before moving up to where I am now ( central FL). I’ve been through plenty of hurricanes, Andrew, Charlie, Wilma, and Irma. Things definitely changed once we had children, I wouldn’t take a chance with them where before I could hunker down in our closet if I had to.
I spent one night and day in Naples. Hottest I've ever been in my life. And I'm a native Alabamian. How did you stay 30 years?

Lethal34fl2

Poster
Founder
I spent one night and day in Naples. Hottest I've ever been in my life. And I'm a native Alabamian. How did you stay 30 years?
We always took a few vacations to the mountains in northern Georgia, always needed a break from the heat but once you were in it you got used to it.

skramer100

Elite
Founder
We always took a few vacations to the mountains in northern Georgia, always needed a break from the heat but once you were in it you got used to it.
Exactly. New guy on our team moved down from Jersey and didn't understand why we were all in long sleeves the other night at a happy hour. Being from Jersey 35 years ago I explained how quick your blood thins. Told him I don't go in my pool until its upper 80s, he couldn't grasp that. Anything under 70 I am button up.

Top Bottom