Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Fellow ST TNG Nerds: Dyson Sphere

Alpha_Cock

A Real A Hole
Founder
As I was busy procrastinating, I came across this video on starship size perspectives.

Back to the Dyson Sphere: It is theorized to be an artificially-created ball around a star to capture all of its radiation for the benefit of the organisms living on the inside wall of that ball. The theory sounds plausible, assuming it is spinning, the centrifugal force will keep an atmosphere on the inside wall of the sphere, as well as keep the organisms there. While at the same time, the star's gravity keeps the Dyson Sphere equidistant from it in the "goldilocks zone". If we ever get to that level of sophistication before our extinction, would not such a massive gravitational force cause havoc to any objects within light years of it? That's just one of the many questions I have about such a large structure.

muchandmore

Elite
Founder
Meh we would just be riding that out til heat death. Need to figure out how to go post physical, that’s just an engineering wet dream.

Top Bottom