Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Experimentation and innovation

mrt

Elite
Well it applies to a lot of things that went well in Vietnam. Having an expensive Chinook playing the role of gunship not so much. They outfitted 5 and the unit was known as Guns A Go Go. 4 destroyed and the 5th retired.. I have to say if it had been used properly it might have been a good thing. They were losing a lot of aircraft from ground fire on resupply so the idea was to have their own gun ships since it was hard to have UH-1 support on every re supply. In 10 years of the war there were about 11 and a half thousand UH-1s of different designations, at the close of the war only 3000 UH-1s were accounted for. Another fuck up from our stupid government I suppose. Originally my unit came by ship from Fort Campbell of the 101st air wing. In late 1967 the 1st Avn Brigade was formed and all the helicopter units were scooped up under one wing, split up into groups, Battalions, and Companies. My 101st 336th was simply renamed dropping the 101st title and all else remained as it was. The 101st personnel were split up and some remained at Soc Trang and others went up north to Camp Eagle. The 121st made no changes except sending the 93rd Transportation home to Colorado and retiring the Pawnee Helicopters they had been flying and replaced everything with the new Huey's..
The second photo is an example of high impact and fire igniting a very cold fuel JP4 which normally will boil before ignition. Makes you shudder a bit to see it, you lose faith in the NOMEX shirt and pants you are issued. A mix of magnesium and aluminum is almost impossible to extinguish unless you have foam to smother the air. I have to say in an extremely out of control helicopter it would be very hard to jump out due to the G force, even straight flight has a big impact on your movement. You can stand outside on the pylon with back against the ship and never fall , it was like being pinned to the ship, until the bolt on your M-60 slams forward when empty, it will actually pull you forward and bring you back to reality.Fini.jpgGuns a Go Go.jpg

Zgdaf

Elite
Founder
What about Laos? Hospitals were accidentally bombed, but you can learn a lot thru failure.
The govt also first experimented with laser tagging targets…. No pictures or proof, just hearsay from a friend who’s father went to Thailand as a govt dod civilian.

mrt

Elite
What about Laos? Hospitals were accidentally bombed, but you can learn a lot thru failure.
The govt also first experimented with laser tagging targets…. No pictures or proof, just hearsay from a friend who’s father went to Thailand as a govt dod civilian.
And TET 1968 3000 citizens of HUE, Doctors Lawyers and Teachers were all shot and shoved into a large grave. The North Vietnamese almost destroyed the entire Historical Capitol City by hiding in the most important Buildings. I couldn't tell you about Laos other than it was a Neutral Country same as Cambodia. Both locations were safe zones for the enemy and they got the shit bombed out of them, had it not been for killing them in their safe zones a lot of us would have been killed, so screw them first. Now that's my sentiments. After the big stand down and our large ground forces had left there was a very big operation LAN SON taking place in the upper part of the country. The Vietnamese were in charge of the operations but the US provided most of the air component. We lost a lot of men and a heck of a lot of Helicopters in that one misguided mission. It was a complete failure and just like this recent Afghanistan bungling by slo joe it should have set off some alarm bells with re-guard to the readiness or willingness of the South Vietnamese to fight. I believe they were ready to fight but the end of the war came after an accidental misconstrued message from their higher headquarters. They thought a full retreat had been issued but it turns out that was not the case but only a movement order to tighten their defenses. It was a domino effect with everyone throwing their weapons down and moving south as fast as they could, the entire way the North bombarded them, men women and children. We should never ever participate in nation building and or police actions which are illegal anyway. None of our war time laws even mention a police action, it was like today where the democrats make up new phrases each day. The real enemy today is under our employment and all are rotten to the core.

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
Ever hear of spacing, jamis Christ

did-not-read-silly.gif

Top Bottom