Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Does anyone else like to look at the stars?

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
I don’t have a telescope or anything, but I’ve always liked to look at the sky. I can always see Orion off my back porch in the fall and it’s kind of a fall tradition for my girls and I to go look at it on clear nights.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
It always kind of mesmerizes me. It puts a huge scale on the reality I live in and it almost confuses me.

How did it all happen? Not from a scientific perspective, but more philosophical

Even assuming an intelligent design, how in the heck did it unravel this way? Why are all the stars in such specific locations? Why do they seem so organized, but also random?

CuriousFiend

Elite
Yo @Croot_Overlord

Subject: Light pollution.

*Below are two GEarth shots taken from approx ~10km up(*6.2m)

•1st image: Prolly recognize where this is.
•Google sez the area is around 1.7km above sea level.(*bit over a mile)
•And based off what Googz also reckons population wise, I'd guess there's at least 200,000 individuals within this screenshot's total area.(?)
IMG_20231019_193733.jpg

•2nd shot: Where I'm at.
•1.5km above sea level(*almost a mile)
😂Barely 4,500 cunts in this entire area.
IMG_20231019_193753.jpg

#1 & #2 in contrast:

Dunno but I'd guess #2 might seem almost deserted from your pov(?)—it kinda is, though the entire area defs ain't unused or abandoned...🤠 I mean, I'd strongly advise against freely wandering seemingly empty farmland round here, coz the average farmers are fuckin hardcore cunts aye & there's a hell of a lot more firearms in this country than what sniveling NZ "authorities" claim.
😂Fuckin duck shooting season sounds like a month long dawn til dusk shootout in every direction.

Anyways, the expansive urbanization in #1 is beyond my worldly experience so far.
I've been to the largest NZ cities Aucks, Hamiltron, Wellies, CChurch & others—😎all absolutely bloody nightmarish imo, coz of the urban density. eg: Aucks was actually 5 smaller cities that eventually merged into the current Auckland "Super City"-aka: an immigrant infested shithole(*imo the worst place NZ)

Seems like urbanization in #1 also occurs beyond the central areas too(?)—I mean that it kinda looks like the farmlands are quite dense-(*relative to #2)(?)

😂 Sorry, I'm mad stonaged and rambling again.

The point I'm trying to get at is to present some degree of relative perspective between these two locations to contrast potential severities of light pollution for each.

😄Shit, last week some unidentified individual who may or may not be that Uи··Ðяαε cunt—might've magically blown away an annoying streetlight at the top of my driveway. Now my whole section is in almost complete darkness at night and the sky is much more easily visible—butt light pollution from the region all seems to form this "get fucked" visibility inhibiting layer, so I can't see much beyond the larger & brighter stars & shit.
Like wearing glasses that're smeared with semitransparent gunge.

Yet if I drive 2-3 hours north and then 1.6km up the volcano to the ski lodge,...🤓apparently this is high enough and far enough away from light pollution sources that the view is relatively crystal clear. It is incredible. Last time I went up there I was able to see urban centers that're around 4-6 hours away.
[*that was the night I almost mowed down the white bigfoot looking fucker about halfway up while getting my Tokyo driftskies on at 1am boosting up the volcano road-(*pretty sure it was just an army cunt in winter gilly)]

Omfg 😂How the actual fuck am I still rambling.

The End.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Yo @Croot_Overlord

Subject: Light pollution.

*Below are two GEarth shots taken from approx ~10km up(*6.2m)

•1st image: Prolly recognize where this is.
•Google sez the area is around 1.7km above sea level.(*bit over a mile)
•And based off what Googz also reckons population wise, I'd guess there's at least 200,000 individuals within this screenshot's total area.(?)
View attachment 204643

•2nd shot: Where I'm at.
•1.5km above sea level(*almost a mile)
😂Barely 4,500 cunts in this entire area.
View attachment 204644

#1 & #2 in contrast:

Dunno but I'd guess #2 might seem almost deserted from your pov(?)—it kinda is, though the entire area defs ain't unused or abandoned...🤠 I mean, I'd strongly advise against freely wandering seemingly empty farmland round here, coz the average farmers are fuckin hardcore cunts aye & there's a hell of a lot more firearms in this country than what sniveling NZ "authorities" claim.
😂Fuckin duck shooting season sounds like a month long dawn til dusk shootout in every direction.

Anyways, the expansive urbanization in #1 is beyond my worldly experience so far.
I've been to the largest NZ cities Aucks, Hamiltron, Wellies, CChurch & others—😎all absolutely bloody nightmarish imo, coz of the urban density. eg: Aucks was actually 5 smaller cities that eventually merged into the current Auckland "Super City"-aka: an immigrant infested shithole(*imo the worst place NZ)

Seems like urbanization in #1 also occurs beyond the central areas too(?)—I mean that it kinda looks like the farmlands are quite dense-(*relative to #2)(?)

😂 Sorry, I'm mad stonaged and rambling again.

The point I'm trying to get at is to present some degree of relative perspective between these two locations to contrast potential severities of light pollution for each.

😄Shit, last week some unidentified individual who may or may not be that Uи··Ðяαε cunt—might've magically blown away an annoying streetlight at the top of my driveway. Now my whole section is in almost complete darkness at night and the sky is much more easily visible—butt light pollution from the region all seems to form this "get fucked" visibility inhibiting layer, so I can't see much beyond the larger & brighter stars & shit.
Like wearing glasses that're smeared with semitransparent gunge.

Yet if I drive 2-3 hours north and then 1.6km up the volcano to the ski lodge,...🤓apparently this is high enough and far enough away from light pollution sources that the view is relatively crystal clear. It is incredible. Last time I went up there I was able to see urban centers that're around 4-6 hours away.
[*that was the night I almost mowed down the white bigfoot looking fucker about halfway up while getting my Tokyo driftskies on at 1am boosting up the volcano road-(*pretty sure it was just an army cunt in winter gilly)]

Omfg 😂How the actual fuck am I still rambling.

The End.
Huntsville/Madison county is extremely unique as far as the layout. It’s very spread out compared to most cities and doesn’t have the dense population clusters (compared to other cities). However there are still a shitload of people there.

I actually get a pretty good view of the sky looking in one direction from my house because I live on the edge of the city and there isn’t much population that direction

TheNJNole

Elite
Founder
I don’t have a telescope or anything, but I’ve always liked to look at the sky. I can always see Orion off my back porch in the fall and it’s kind of a fall tradition for my girls and I to go look at it on clear nights.

Look a little more closely and you will ultimately see Uranus.....

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
R.23c476efa73deb7a93afdc8d69343ce3

Stray

Poster

1697755284914.png
Sometimes. Here we were able to see Jupiter with four of it's moons.

Zgdaf

Elite
Founder
Yep. Straight as an arrow, it was really cool to see. Looked just like this picture and they were fuckin movin fast.
View attachment 204777
Wait till there are 25k starlink satellites.. it’s going to fuck up any view.

I like seeing the stars and Milky Way every now and then.. but then a friend spoiled it by saying looking at the stars is depressing because it’s empty, no other living that we know of or have seen.

@Croot_Overlord , Astronomy good activity to do with your kids. You could get a cheap telescope, but be warned it’s like an arms race and the upgrades won’t stop until you upgrade to the Hubble telescope :).

CuriousFiend

Elite

I sorta know the site owner, he runs this small forum specific to Astrophotography.
Can find some incredible imagery they've captured over the years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom