Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Do you have student debt?

Fever757

Poster
Founder
Mine is paid off. My wife still has about $60k.

She was going to refi through SoFi and I told her to hold out and see what happens here with the federal programs in case Biden got elected.

I have a feeling that because of our income bracket we will be fucked though which is bullshit. I paid off over $200,000.

Alpha_Cock

A Real A Hole
Founder
What a terrible precedent to set for young people in America. Make stupid decisions, and the government will bail you out.

I don't disagree that student debt of $100s of thousands is absolutely ridiculous. But, universities did this. Make them refund some portion back for their extremely inflated tuition costs, don't make taxpayers do it.

CumAllahHerAss

Poster
Founder
What a terrible precedent to set for young people in America. Make stupid decisions, and the government will bail you out.

I don't disagree that student debt of $100s of thousands is absolutely ridiculous. But, universities did this. Make them refund some portion back for their extremely inflated tuition costs, don't make taxpayers do it.
They can't, they've already spent it on upgrading literally every single building on campus in addition to adding new buildings, dorms, and stadiums. That money is long gone. Seriously though, I graduated ten years ago and half the campus has new buildings already.

d-tiger45

I run shit around here
Founder
Paid off mine for going to a private college. If they cancel debt I’d like a tax free check sent to me for a refund of debt repaid.

Alpha_Cock

A Real A Hole
Founder
They can't, they've already spent it on upgrading literally every single building on campus in addition to adding new buildings, dorms, and stadiums. That money is long gone. Seriously though, I graduated ten years ago and half the campus has new buildings already.
Then, universities should issue bonds to get the cash flow together. It is very true that they have spent those tuition hikes on capital projects. They are, after all, not-for-profit. So, they have to get rid of that equity somehow.

Gators40

Poster
Still have 15k , not to bad since I refinanced. Do I still get it taken away if I refinanced? If not, I’m going to write a strongly worded email! I’m glad my education did absolutely nothing for my job today! 5 years of partying was worth it I guess

lucio

Poster
Founder
I mean, of course is a great investment for the federal government to pay off a Gender Studies barista $50K worth of debt

noelnole

Elite
Founder
i wonder if this will be retroactive? i repaid mine 20 years ago

what about the kids in school now? will their loans be forgiven after graduating?

and is this undergrad, grad school etc?

Nas

Poster
No. Realized I was making a mistake 3 years in, and joined the military. Jokes on me, when I was overseas i got a notice my loan repayment went to collections. Fine print in the contracts if you joined during the Troop Surge of 08. Paid off the rest when I got home. Did HVAC at a trade school after, gubment paid 500 a semester, IIRC, out of the 1200 cost per semester. Paid the rest out of pocket.

CBradSmith

Elite
Founder
No. Realized I was making a mistake 3 years in, and joined the military. Jokes on me, when I was overseas i got a notice my loan repayment went to collections. Fine print in the contracts if you joined during the Troop Surge of 08. Paid off the rest when I got home. Did HVAC at a trade school after, gubment paid 500 a semester, IIRC, out of the 1200 cost per semester. Paid the rest out of pocket.
So were you screwed or not? You lost me.

Nas

Poster
So were you screwed or not? You lost me.
Indeed I was. SLRP was to pay the debt i had. For whatever reason they decided to quit paying when I was overseas and unable to do anything about it. Had to pay the rest out of pocket when I got back to the states.

The HVAC thing I didn't take any loans out. Paid up front on my own.

MittRomneysDrawers

Poster
Founder
I have 80k. I have 140k worth of Crypto so if that doubles or goes higher and becomes enough to pay my house off as well, I'll consider selling and eliminating..

My only other debt is my mortgage, which technically I could pay off the SL Debt with doing a Refi.

Mud flap

Poster
Founder
When all three are paid off I’ll be just shy of $500k in college cost plus the vehicles, clothing, food, sorority etc.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
No student debt. One thing my parents gave me was a free college education and I plan on doing the same for my 4 kids. Set up, and have been contributing, to their 529 plans since the week that they were born. I still had jobs in high school and college, but it was definitely a lot of pressure taken off not having to pay tuition. A great gift and consider myself lucky.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
No student debt. One thing my parents gave me was a free college education and I plan on doing the same for my 4 kids. Set up, and have been contributing, to their 529 plans since the week that they were born. I still had jobs in high school and college, but it was definitely a lot of pressure taken off not having to pay tuition. A great gift and consider myself lucky.
Warm your burrito on the dashboard.
Believe me.

Top Bottom