Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Do I need to talk to a Dr?

d-tiger45

I run shit around here
Founder
In the past year I’ve lost 4 HS acquaintances to heart attacks. Now 3-4 times a month I wake up with an escalated heart rate thinking I’m having one.

I’ve been told I’m having panic attacks. Wo up at 5:30 am this morning with legs all tingly and unable to get back to sleep. Apple Watch had heart rate normal.

Was I dreaming about the legs feeling weird?
Is this normal or do I need psychiatric help I getting over this?
Thanks for any advice:

d-tig

d-tiger45

I run shit around here
Founder
Yeah I used to have those, was too stressed. One night I went to splash water on my face and fell thru the bathroom wall. On Paxil now, 1/2 pill per night...all good
I’m anti pills due to family history with addiction issues. I’m to the point now I’d rather get some help. And a sleep helper than worry myself to death.

thanks

tgsio

Legendary
Founder
yea you are not going to get addicted to paxil IMPOSSIBE LOL
Truth. My husband has taken Paxil for 26 years for anxiety and clinical depression.

I can tell when he's skipped it for few days. If he was addicted, no way would he forget to take it.

OP, medication may not be necessary. But there is nothing wrong or weak about seeking help for what is obviously anxiety... and there's nothing wrong or weak if medication is deemed appropriate, whether that be short term or continuing as part of long term treatment.

It's no different than a person with diabetes needing insulin.

Mental health is physical health.

d-tiger45

I run shit around here
Founder
Truth. My husband has taken Paxil for 26 years for anxiety and clinical depression.

I can tell when he's skipped it for few days. If he was addicted, no way would he forget to take it.

OP, medication may not be necessary. But there is nothing wrong or weak about seeking help for what is obviously anxiety... and there's nothing wrong or weak if medication is deemed appropriate, whether that be short term or continuing as part of long term treatment.

It's no different than a person with diabetes needing insulin.

Mental health is physical health.
Thanks. Your opinion is way better than most here. Lol.

tgsio

Legendary
Founder
Thanks. Your opinion is way better than most here. Lol.
I take this seriously.

I've lived my entire married life with my husband managing his health and watch my kids like a hawk for any signs of depression and/or anxiety. There is no reason to suffer and try to just get by. If you had any other illness, condition, or injury causing pain and disruption to your life, would you hesitate to contact a doctor? No. Of course not. So don't hesitate now. Your primary should be able to give you recommendations/referrals. If you don't have a regular doctor and don't want to pick somebody randomly, I suggest contacting your pastor (or any pastor if you don't go to church) or friends you know who are taking care of their health.

And if you don't like the first or 2nd doctor, keep going until you find somebody you trust and feel comfortable with.

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
I take this seriously.

I've lived my entire married life with my husband managing his health and watch my kids like a hawk for any signs of depression and/or anxiety. There is no reason to suffer and try to just get by. If you had any other illness, condition, or injury causing pain and disruption to your life, would you hesitate to contact a doctor? No. Of course not. So don't hesitate now. Your primary should be able to give you recommendations/referrals. If you don't have a regular doctor and don't want to pick somebody randomly, I suggest contacting your pastor (or any pastor if you don't go to church) or friends you know who are taking care of their health.

And if you don't like the first or 2nd doctor, keep going until you find somebody you trust and feel comfortable with.
Yes lol.

Can't even begin to list the number of reason I avoid 'health professionals' especially now during the pandemic.

You're a better person than I am for being that proactive!

tgsio

Legendary
Founder
Yes lol.

Can't even begin to list the number of reason I avoid 'health professionals' especially now during the pandemic.

You're a better person than I am for being that proactive!
Please don't do this. Do not neglect your health.

Your doctor is not Fraudci, hopefully. If you don't trust your doctor, find a somebody else.

If you need medical care for any reason, get it. Example: Common strep is very dangerous if left undiagnosed/easily treated. You're not going to just let that go. BTW, if your kid has 4-6 strep infections in a calendar year, yank the tonsils. Just do it. Trust me. If the ped doesn't recommend it, find a new pediatrician.

America 1st

Founder
Please don't do this. Do not neglect your health.

Your doctor is not Fraudci, hopefully. If you don't trust your doctor, find a somebody else.

If you need medical care for any reason, get it. Example: Common strep is very dangerous if left undiagnosed/easily treated. You're not going to just let that go. BTW, if your kid has 4-6 strep infections in a calendar year, yank the tonsils. Just do it. Trust me. If the ped doesn't recommend it, find a new pediatrician.
They are just always such a pain in the ass including the health insurance and such. If its just pain I never go until its ER worthy.

Couldn't afford to go for so long it was never even a consideration. Now that I don't have this excuse I'm already hating it.

tgsio

Legendary
Founder
They are just always such a pain in the ass including the health insurance and such. If its just pain I never go until its ER worthy.

Couldn't afford to go for so long it was never even a consideration. Now that I don't have this excuse I'm already hating it.

I get it. But take care of yourself. You're worth the hassle.

Would you want your wife to forgo her medical care because the paperwork is a PITA? Of course not. She doesn't want you to, either.

America 1st

Founder
I get it. But take care of yourself. You're worth the hassle.

Would you want your wife to forgo her medical care because the paperwork is a PITA? Of course not. She doesn't want you to, either.
I guess it's all about what each person considers medical care. We've always just operated under the 'your body, your choice' parameters. I was actually pretty concerned she would forgo chemo.

Her not doing that means I gotta take all my shit super serious now too so that I'm healthy enough to take care of her when she needs it. I always just assumed I would go way before her so that angle was never really a thought I considered too seriously with her being an all natural health freak lol.

The internet, Fitbits, and all those damn health apps do more harm than good with all the damn stress they cause haha. I'm a firm believer that stress kills.

RHT 3

Elite
Eat better, no caffeine after 530 or food after 8.

Get to the gym dude. It helps and it works.

Trust God and let go of the worry or past stressors. You cannot change what was, and what will be is out of your control mostly.

Thank me later.

lhpvol

Poster

Ima second @tgsio here. Ive always been like you. Dont go to the doctor unless you're bleeding out type. Ive always been pretty healthy, if a bit overweight. About a year or 2 ago, I started having some little issues, nothing too serious, more annoyances than anything, but I figured being over 40 it was probably time to have a physical. I went in for bloodwork beforehand and when I had the appt with my dr ( someone I have known for probably 15 years, but hadnt seen in a while) he was shocked. Turns out I am now diabetic. He thought by looking at my blood results, I would be grossly overweight and completely inactive. In reality, I had already lost probably 60 lbs and was exercising regularly. I also had none of the regular indicators of prediabetes, like frequent urination or dry mouth. Fortunately I am now controlling it with a mild dose of medicine along with diet and exercise, but if I had caught it earlier, I would probably have been able to avoid the medication altogether, at least for a while longer. And those "mild" annoyances, like the slight numbness in my toes, will likely never get better. All that could have possibly been avoided with a regular check-up.

Make the effort. Find a doctor who doesnt automatically throw prescriptions at you, but find a doctor. Its much easier to fix problems if you catch them before they become problems.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Two weeks back I went to talk to my doctor about meds for depression. I have actually been on something that worked for years, but for some reason the depression finally broke through about a month back.

I’m a recovering addict (seven years clean) and never really understood my mental health issues until I got clean - I always associated my ups and downs with some kind of withdrawal. Once I finally got clean and started working with my doc on mental health it has been life changing. I’ve been in a rut lately, but I’m open and honest with everyone around me and am taking the right steps so I’m confident I’ll be back on track soon (already feel much better than a couple weeks ago).

Joe Kings

Legendary
Founder
In the past year I’ve lost 4 HS acquaintances to heart attacks. Now 3-4 times a month I wake up with an escalated heart rate thinking I’m having one.

I’ve been told I’m having panic attacks. Wo up at 5:30 am this morning with legs all tingly and unable to get back to sleep. Apple Watch had heart rate normal.

Thanks for any advice:

d-tig
ITs like yoou cant rest or relax and fall asleep. its worry and or stress. Once you accept Stress is real and comes on youll be able to handle it and it goes away. I mind over matter it. How old OP?

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Op about 8-10years ago I went through the same stuff. Scared me to death.
Don t eat after 7pm is one that helped me but the best one is go for a walk in tge evening or excercise to help you decompress. Crazy how much that helped.
Also quit watching the news. That is what was sending me to tilt.

Hoppo

Elite
Founder
You probably are having panic/anxiety attacks. A little less than 2 years ago I had one that scared me so badly that I went to the ER. Heart was racing at over 140bpm. Go to the doctor. Don't pre-diagnose yourself, just tell your doctor what you are feeling. It is likely you will be told you have anxiety. I was, after a trip to the ER and eventually even an echo that showed nothing. Express your concerns over getting hooked on pills. There are plenty of anti-anxiety meds that are non-habit forming and not mind/mood altering.

Assuming this is the case (which is why it is key to explain your symptoms to an actual doctor not a Crootn "doctor"), getting a diagnosis will give you some peace of mind, which will ease your anxiety. You also may get some meds that will help, and/or some non-pharmaceutical tools to help you cope. Don't ignore it, even if it's "only anxiety" that can have deleterious effects on your health. Puts strain on your cardio-vascular system, inhibits your immune system, etc.

yankmenoodle

Elite
Don't be a wimp. I have chest pains weekly. Thats why they make narcotics. I felt terrible this morning, took a pain pill. Didn't help so I took another. I've had a productive morning at work, about to go to Sonic for a chili cheese coney, then go tfgggggggvvvvvvhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhbnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyofui,rrrrrrrrrrrrr,iriiiy,hhhhhhhhbyr,uh bhbhuuuuuuuuuuuhdhu

yankmenoodle

Elite
That was a joke! Honestly, one day I'd felt like someone was sitting on my chest all morning. I went to the ER and they moved me right in. They worked on me for half the day and didn't find anything. Doctors decided it was stress.

JordanPetersHorn

I’m a Fucking Captain Dammit
Founder

Thanks for any advice:

d-tig
It’s normal but also Shrinks won’t help you. They’ll give you medicine which’s side effects will be way worse

Top Bottom