Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Brown recluse?

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I'm no expert, but looks like one from all the pics I've seen. A better pic would be good, but that's as close as I'd want to get too.

From ddg-

1406566295000-072814brown-recluse.jpg

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Everyone probably has them in their houses. They are reclusive hence their name. Never never never put on shoes or clothing which hasn't been worn in a long time without shaking them out first. Never reach your hands into boxes in attics or closets without first looking. The damage these things cause is frightening and potentially lethal. If you see a lot of silverfish you likely have brown recluse spiders too.

My company fumigated a building years ago that was overrun with these and black widows. After treatment, when the walls were dismantled by the contractor, dead brown recluses fell out by the bucket loads.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Everyone probably has them in their houses. They are reclusive hence their name. Never never never put on shoes or clothing which hasn't been worn in a long time without shaking them out first. Never reach your hands into boxes in attics or closets without first looking. The damage these things cause is frightening and potentially lethal. If you see a lot of silverfish you likely have brown recluse spiders too.

My company fumigated a building years ago that was overrun with these and black widows. After treatment, when the walls were dismantled by the contractor, dead brown recluses fell out by the bucket loads.
Oh no don’t tell me this

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
My next door neighbor growing up as a kid was an avid outdoorsman. He got bit by a brown recluse and was in the hospital for a couple days but was ok.

Oddly, he died of Leukemia a few years later. I know they are probably not related, but I do wonder some times if the spider bite caused his immune system to turn on him.

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder
I was bit by one on the calf. The pain would drop me to my knees. Day one was bite marks. Day 2 entire area was purple and started scabbing. Day 3 my calf had a slight hole as it was eating away tissue. Got my leg lanced and survived.
Did the pain hit immediately after the bite?

Volvulus

Poster
We had them pretty bad a few years ago. Have the bug folks come out and spray to kill everything a few times a year. Killing their food source is how you kill them. Most poisons don’t touch them. They have to be starved out or eat bugs with poison in them.

Sticky traps are also key. They eat everything, including each other. And luckily they’ll jump right on a sticky trap for a nice orgy feast and die with their friends.

So kill as many insects as possible and put down sticky traps all over.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
100% fiddleback.

I hate those things, even worse than black widows. They actually wander around, whereas black widows just like to hide in their cobwebs in undisturbed areas.
Black widows will come back yearly to the same area they were before. They have a very irregular web which usually is the first clue before you see the spider.

imprimis

Legendary
Founder
Most poisons don’t touch them.
That's the biggest problem with spiders. They only touch the treated area with their toes rather than slide through it like roaches and others. They don't get much poison on them and it takes longer to eliminate them. That's why I suggested Optimate. It's very good on scorpions too--my chemical of choice for them.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
We had them pretty bad a few years ago. Have the bug folks come out and spray to kill everything a few times a year. Killing their food source is how you kill them. Most poisons don’t touch them. They have to be starved out or eat bugs with poison in them.

Sticky traps are also key. They eat everything, including each other. And luckily they’ll jump right on a sticky trap for a nice orgy feast and die with their friends.

So kill as many insects as possible and put down sticky traps all over.
Thanks man, this is good info. I read somewhere else about the sticky traps.

I called the bug folks and they said “well a lot of times people confuse what is really a brown recluse”. Well I got a picture of that sumbitch.

They should be out soon

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
WTF is a salt gun, sounds like i need to order one!

Top Bottom