Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bongino taking over Rush's spot

Sikness23245

Elite
When you are replacing a legend, why not do what Jeopardy is doing and have a series of guests host for a period of time. Let the ratings decide.

Couple of differences:

1. It's not a 1-for-1 replacement. I mean, Bongino isn't taking over Rush's show. It's Bongino's show in Rush's timeslot.
2. There aren't a ton of lower level TV programs to build up reputations of hosts. Radio, on the other hand, has an entire market of podcasters to draw from. Bongino has been the highest rated conservative podcast only talk show for a long time, so, in that way, the ratings are deciding.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
I quit listening to Bongino awhile back. I like him alot, but his intensity level is a little much for me for a whole hour. That said, if he is taking over for Rush, does that mean he is in good health? Didn't he have a tumor or something? Hope he is well, need people like him fighting for our side.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Bongino will be much more appealing to a younger crowd, which is what the GOP needs.

Who would you rather have seen take the spot?
I do not really have a person. Ive only listened to bongino a little. I hope he does great. I suppose no one would measure up to Rush for me. I will listen and hope he wins me over. I do like his credentials.

MaizeBlaze

I’m just here so I won’t get fined.
Founder
I quit listening to Bongino awhile back. I like him alot, but his intensity level is a little much for me for a whole hour. That said, if he is taking over for Rush, does that mean he is in good health? Didn't he have a tumor or something? Hope he is well, need people like him fighting for our side.
He had a cancerous tumor removed from his neck. Pretty sure he just finished chemo.

Sikness23245

Elite
Obligatory:
iu

I do not really have a person. Ive only listened to bongino a little. I hope he does great. I suppose no one would measure up to Rush for me. I will listen and hope he wins me over. I do like his credentials.

Like @GarnetPild said, he's not for everybody. It'll be interesting to see how he handles a 3 hour spot on national radio. On the one hand, I think it'll be difficult for him to bring his normal intensity for 3 hours every day (his podcast is only 1 hour). On the other, I think it might diminish some of his appeal to new listeners if he softens up too much.

The guy is not afraid to work, though, and he takes in as much feedback as he can get to improve his show, so I think he'll be successful in the long run.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Obligatory:
iu

Like @GarnetPild said, he's not for everybody. It'll be interesting to see how he handles a 3 hour spot on national radio. On the one hand, I think it'll be difficult for him to bring his normal intensity for 3 hours every day (his podcast is only 1 hour). On the other, I think it might diminish some of his appeal to new listeners if he softens up too much.

The guy is not afraid to work, though, and he takes in as much feedback as he can get to improve his show, so I think he'll be successful in the long run.

You can tell he works hard. He has gotten much better on tv in a pretty short time, the little I have seen.

1. He’s got to get away from spending 75% of his show pointing out the ridiculousness of the media. Constantly breaking down the terrible takes from MSNBC/CNN and random Twitter users puts me right in the middle of what I purposely avoid. It only serves to get my blood pressure up and put me in a bad mood and it simply won’t work weekdays noon-3 for the masses.

2. Piggybacking off of that- Cut out the doom and gloom vibe he does or at least did not too long ago when I tuned in more often. “Folks, this is as bad as I’ve ever seen it....” Millions of the women would tune in to Rush on their lunch break because he was funny and fun to listen to and that shit won’t fly either.

I like Dan and not saying change everything that got him here, just kind of struggling to see how he fits this role. Be interested to see how it’s looking 6 months into it.

Chris Farley

Misunderstood lurker
Founder
Couple of differences:

1. It's not a 1-for-1 replacement. I mean, Bongino isn't taking over Rush's show. It's Bongino's show in Rush's timeslot.
2. There aren't a ton of lower level TV programs to build up reputations of hosts. Radio, on the other hand, has an entire market of podcasters to draw from. Bongino has been the highest rated conservative podcast only talk show for a long time, so, in that way, the ratings are deciding.
I agree on your #2. However, I think Andrew Wilkow could be up there too!

TarCock29

Poster
When you are replacing a legend, why not do what Jeopardy is doing and have a series of guests host for a period of time. Let the ratings decide.
Not a bad idea, I think the reason against would be that transitioning from Rush will be hard enough. Taking away the ability to build trust with the new host would be more difficult if new people are cycled in week by week. Two hours or so of talk radio is more personality driven than reading questions for 20 minutes.

44Bobcats55

Elite
Founder
Every time he uses a false voice to say conspiracy theory 10 times a show I have to turn it off. Otherwise he is on target. Surely I am not the only one that can’t handle the repetition. He makes the same points every show.

Top Bottom