Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BDD calls us to action:

AgEngDawg

Legendary

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
photo_2021-04-04-01.41.08.jpeg

Dinkis14

Poster
Founder
I need a credit card rec that is not chase or citi

@BLatta12
What do you want want it for (cash back, travel, etc)?

Do you fly often? If so, what city do you fly out of?

What do you spend most of your money on when it comes to day to day?

Do you have any status or loyalty do any airlines, hotels, etc...?

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder

BLatta12

Administrator
Administrator
I need a credit card rec that is not chase or citi

@BLatta12
Big fan of the American Express Blue Cash Preferred.

6% back on groceries up to $6k, 3% back on gas unlimited. Get one for you and the wife so you get 6% back on a full $12k groceries (if needed). 95$ annual fee on the card but you still come out way ahead.

Get a 2% no annual fee card for all other purchases. Citi would normally be your go to option for this but there are other Card varieties out there.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Travel, cash back, or any other requirements?

What do you want want it for (cash back, travel, etc)?

Do you fly often? If so, what city do you fly out of?

What do you spend most of your money on when it comes to day to day?

Do you have any status or loyalty do any airlines, hotels, etc...?

Big fan of the American Express Blue Cash Preferred.

6% back on groceries up to $6k, 3% back on gas unlimited. Get one for you and the wife so you get 6% back on a full $12k groceries (if needed). 95$ annual fee on the card but you still come out way ahead.

Get a 2% no annual fee card for all other purchases. Citi would normally be your go to option for this but there are other Card varieties out there.
I’m prob due for a new travel card. I had the chase travel one a few years back that was really good. Spend most of our money on groceries and online shopping. Don’t have any specific travel loyalty, but wouldn’t mind signing up for a specific brand of hotel/airline card if the promo is good.

Ive had the blue cash preferred before. Might look into that one again as well

Dinkis14

Poster
Founder
I’m prob due for a new travel card. I had the chase travel one a few years back that was really good. Spend most of our money on groceries and online shopping. Don’t have any specific travel loyalty, but wouldn’t mind signing up for a specific brand of hotel/airline card if the promo is good.

AmEx Platinum is a steep fee of $550, but they are giving away 125K miles via Cardmatch.

AmEx Gold is doing 80K vis Cardmatch and they do 5% on groceries and 4% on dining. It’s a $250 fee, but all fees are worth it if you know what you’re doing.

I pay $1200 a year in fees, but get thousands in value. Happy to go more into detail if you have more questions.

Old Glory

Legendary
Founder
AmEx Platinum is a steep fee of $550, but they are giving away 125K miles via Cardmatch.

AmEx Gold is doing 80K vis Cardmatch and they do 5% on groceries and 4% on dining. It’s a $250 fee, but all fees are worth it if you know what you’re doing.

I pay $1200 a year in fees, but get thousands in value. Happy to go more into detail if you have more questions.

AMEX isn't perfect either.

Check out your local credit union to see what they have. Won’t be the best, but it’s not Big Bank and supports your local community.

this ^^ credit unions aren’t perfect but at least all your money stays in your community. Even if you don’t pay interest they will make a little off the interchange behind the scenes

Hoppo

Elite
Founder
AMEX isn't perfect either.

Do not let perfect be the enemy of good.

I think the messaging is off to call for a total boycott. Not nearly enough people will fall in line for that one. The better move would be to encourage people to curtail their spending. Easier to get more people on board, so it will be more likely to show up materially in earnings. Plus you avoid the talk of hypocrisy in a more dogmatic boycott when you inevitably are stuck buying a Diet Coke at a vending machine because you have no other options available.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder

Yeah I would like to know more. I don’t mind paying fees for good value bennies.

1619525004112.gif

Old Glory

Legendary
Founder
Do not let perfect be the enemy of good.

I think the messaging is off to call for a total boycott. Not nearly enough people will fall in line for that one. The better move would be to encourage people to curtail their spending. Easier to get more people on board, so it will be more likely to show up materially in earnings. Plus you avoid the talk of hypocrisy in a more dogmatic boycott when you inevitably are stuck buying a Diet Coke at a vending machine because you have no other options available.
I agree with what you said 100%.

I think he a good option would to also provide a resource for alternatives for people instead of just saying don't use these. It's easier for us critical thinkers to find other options but maybe not so easy for others who don't know where to look. Instead of buying Coca Cola, buy "X" instead because they give back to the community or whatever would be a terrific message. Or something like "Cancel you Chase credit card and instead go to your local credit union and get a credit card. While the benefits may not be quite as a good, at least you know you are supporting the same people who shop at the grocery store alongside you."

Dinkis14

Poster
Founder
Yeah I would like to know more. I don’t mind paying fees for good value bennies.

View attachment 17914
The AmEx Platinum is doing 10% on grocery and gas right now. That’s a great deal when you add the 100K points promo (or you can see if you’re eligible for 125K via Cardmatch.com). 100K is good for two round trip tickets to Europe

I fly all the time and live in Charlotte (they have an AmEx lounge here), so it’s my favorite card. I’m fortunate to be able to book all my work expenses on personal cards.

To me, the best two cards out there are the AmEx Platinum and Chase Sapphire Reserve if you’re looking for travel rewards cards. Transfer partners are the most important thing, and they both have several options no matter where/who you are flying.

spf84

Poster

I have the Hilton Amex which is pretty decent, they usually have a good promotion for new members. Capital one Venture actually isn’t a half bad card either for general travel.

Hoppo

Elite
Founder
I agree with what you said 100%.

I think he a good option would to also provide a resource for alternatives for people instead of just saying don't use these. It's easier for us critical thinkers to find other options but maybe not so easy for others who don't know where to look. Instead of buying Coca Cola, buy "X" instead because they give back to the community or whatever would be a terrific message. Or something like "Cancel you Chase credit card and instead go to your local credit union and get a credit card. While the benefits may not be quite as a good, at least you know you are supporting the same people who shop at the grocery store alongside you."
True, and also get people to explicitly block these toxic woke brands on all their social media. If millions of people start blocking the likes of Nike, Coca Cola, etc. on Twitter, FB, Instagram, etc., it starts to get the message across.

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder

How does cardmatch work?

Dinkis14

Poster
Founder
How does cardmatch work?
It’s through credit cards.com, but you enter some info and it elevates offers based on your info. It does not hit your credit score.

AmEx is generally the one that gives the elevated offer. For example, you may qualify for 100K points for the AmEx Platinum promo on the AmEx site. However, you can type in your info on Cardmatch and it may elevate you to 125K points. Everything else (spending limits, perks, etc.) are the same.

The AmEx Gold is another one that generally offers an elevated bonus. AmEx is offering 60K, but you may qualify for 80K on Cardmatch.

quickfeet

Get Steppin’
Founder
It’s through credit cards.com, but you enter some info and it elevates offers based on your info. It does not hit your credit score.

AmEx is generally the one that gives the elevated offer. For example, you may qualify for 100K points for the AmEx Platinum promo on the AmEx site. However, you can type in your info on Cardmatch and it may elevate you to 125K points. Everything else (spending limits, perks, etc.) are the same.

The AmEx Gold is another one that generally offers an elevated bonus. AmEx is offering 60K, but you may qualify for 80K on Cardmatch.
Yeah man I got it to work! Thanks for the rec

Top Bottom