Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bass fishing

sanction

Legendary
Founder
w
outside:
img-2637.gif

Inside:
200.gif

Probably double digit got away tonight. It was on the fucking bank and leaning down to get it, and line just slipped. I need to learn how to tie some new knots. Anyone have suggestions?

What I've been using.
clinched-knot-400x407.jpg

I did catch 6 others tho. Still pissed.
Are you using braid.

eb102993

Poster
Picked up a 7 ft st croix premier med light fast this afternoon. Looking for a good spinning reel, thinking about a shimano vanford 2500. I’m also using seaguar invisx line.I’m relatively new to the sport so wondering what you maniacs thought? Mostly just do some jigging for perch, walleye, blue gill, and northerns.

Dawg97

Poster
Founder
Nice pickup. The Vanford is an excellent reel, but may be a little overkill for the rod. I tend to spend more on my rods than my reels.
I would probably go with the stradic (or even Ultegra). That said, you'll never regret buying up if you've got the coin.
Look into using braid main line to fluoro leader (or mono if fishing topwater). Will cut down on line twist and increase sensitivity and casting distance.

eb102993

Poster
Nice pickup. The Vanford is an excellent reel, but may be a little overkill for the rod. I tend to spend more on my rods than my reels.
I would probably go with the stradic (or even Ultegra). That said, you'll never regret buying up if you've got the coin.
Look into using braid main line to fluoro leader (or mono if fishing topwater). Will cut down on line twist and increase sensitivity and casting distance.
Aprreciate the feedback!
I bought a Sedona for my other rod I had but really wanted to update the rod. Love the Sedona, it feels smooth but wanted to get something better for the rod I bought today.
I’ll do some research on the Stradic
What braid and leader do you recommend?

Nayat

Elite
Aprreciate the feedback!
I bought a Sedona for my other rod I had but really wanted to update the rod. Love the Sedona, it feels smooth but wanted to get something better for the rod I bought today.
Going back a post, I recently switched away from Seaguar due to its inability to take shock. Lost a bunch a lures and a bucket mouth with that line. I had great luck with Yo-Zuri's hybrid 8lb test so I am trying out their tournament level fluorocarbon this season. The Japanese do not fvck around when it comes to bass fishing.

If you are thinking about using a braid to fluorocarbon set-up, you better get really good at tying knots fast. Braid does not like be tied into knots and is always trying to get out of them. Braid doesn't take abrasion well either, so if you fish around rocks and such keep that in mind. I have found using a white braid and keeping a dark sharpie on me to be the best. In clear water the white disappears to the fish and in stained water I can easily mark the last few feet to match. Braid is also great to use on baitcaster reels for beginners since they don't knot up as easily.

BurntJ

B2B Champ/ Feels Great to be King!
Founder
Any particular model you recommend? The 93SV looks like it's going for $1,100, with the mapping including, and there's a $200 rebate right now.

Cabelas Garmin link
Sorry I missed this Bro. I'm sure you have handled it by now....

But to answer your question, its more of what Bells and Whistles you want. The Garmin product is just the best bang for your buck IMO. Pick your price point then compare based of the features you would like. Im partial to finding a local boat store (West Marine, Boat US, etc.) where you can play with the display and check out the features.

Dawg97

Poster
Founder
Aprreciate the feedback!

There are many quality lines lines. I generally use power pro braid and seagar invizx fluoro. I tie long leaders (20ish feet) to help offset the problems mentioned Nayat. Also I can change lures/retie knots without having retie my leader to braid in the water frequently. Also prefer to use hi-vis braid.
I tie the alberto (modified albeta) knot as my connection knot. The fg knot seems to be superior, but is harder to tie. I've gotten pretty decent and fast at tying the alberto, and have not had any breakage problems when I tied a good knot.
One thing to consider is rod line guide size. If your rods have micro guides, then using braid to leader is going to be difficult for the knot to pass through.

Dawg97

Poster
Founder
Going back a post, I recently switched away from Seaguar due to its inability to take shock. Lost a bunch a lures and a bucket mouth with that line. I had great luck with Yo-Zuri's hybrid 8lb test so I am trying out their tournament level fluorocarbon this season. The Japanese do not fvck around when it comes to bass fishing.

If you are thinking about using a braid to fluorocarbon set-up, you better get really good at tying knots fast. Braid does not like be tied into knots and is always trying to get out of them. Braid doesn't take abrasion well either, so if you fish around rocks and such keep that in mind. I have found using a white braid and keeping a dark sharpie on me to be the best. In clear water the white disappears to the fish and in stained water I can easily mark the last few feet to match. Braid is also great to use on baitcaster reels for beginners since they don't knot up as easily.
I have also used yo-zuru hybrid in the past with success. Changed mainly due to improved sensitivity. I tend to use bottom banging lures and like to "feel" the bottom as much as possible. Please let us know how the tourney level fluoro works out for you.

Nayat

Elite
There are many quality lines lines. I generally use power pro braid and seagar invizx fluoro. I tie long leaders (20ish feet) to help offset the problems mentioned Nayat. Also I can change lures/retie knots without having retie my leader to braid in the water frequently. Also prefer to use hi-vis braid.
I tie the alberto (modified albeta) knot as my connection knot. The fg knot seems to be superior, but is harder to tie. I've gotten pretty decent and fast at tying the alberto, and have not had any breakage problems when I tied a good knot.
One thing to consider is rod line guide size. If your rods have micro guides, then using braid to leader is going to be difficult for the knot to pass through.

Yea, I use the alberto knot as well to tie on a leader when I use them, and haven't lost a fish due to the knot. Great advice regarding the micro guides, as baitcaster rods usually have them. I tend to make it short enough I can still cast without reeling the line all the way up, but that only works on a boat or shore with no trees or tall forage around. Once you get good at tying the knots they are small enough to travel through micro guides for the most part though. I only use them when I am fishing waters with toothy fish, otherwise I'll use the marker trick if needed.

I just wish I lived somewhere a 5lb bass wasn't big.

USCbogey

Poster
Founder
1678811457765.jpeg

Caught her 3 years ago of the bed at my folks place at lake wateree in April Late afternoon. Grabbed the biggest buzz bait I had with an 8” worm on for a trailer just to piss her off. Got the reaction bite and she ended up being 6-10 and had already dropped her eggs. One of the longest bass I’ve ever caught. Would love to have seen that fish pre spawn

Top Bottom