Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bass Fishermen!! Question?

Red'75™

Poster
Founder
Straight Braid? Braid to Leader (leader material)? Straight Flouro or Mono? Preferred lb. test? When and why? I have my opinions/reasons but I'm curious about yours.

CadetHawk

Elite
Founder
Not a bass fisherman until after the walleye spawn, but how are you fishing? Texas rig and top water i use straight braid. I typically only use a flouro leader in clear water or with certain crankbait presentations. I only use mono for live bait presentations.

Last edited:

HnstTune

Elite
Founder
There’s a time & place for all of line types.

edit: my local fishery is pretty murky so line type isn’t a huge factor. On a clear water day visibility is still less than a couple feet. Plus there’s little vegetation in the water. Mostly flooded timber, so I don’t use a ton of heavy braid. For jigs & heavier Texas rigs I like 35lb braid with a 12-15lb flouro leader. Jerkbaits & chatterbaits similar but lighter braid & flouro since I’m usually on a medium weight rod. Mono or flouro for most crank baits, spinner baits or finesse presentations & mono typically for top water. Don’t fish a ton with frogs but braid seems to be the choice there.

Last edited:

Peach-head

Poster
Straight Braid? Braid to Leader (leader material)? Straight Flouro or Mono? Preferred lb. test? When and why? I have my opinions/reasons but I'm curious about yours.
Eh, I always just used 10-12 lb mono. I don’t have a lot of thick vegetation/cover to deal with though. I have used braid with mono leader on carolina rigs (the goat).

Red'75™

Poster
Founder
Not a bass fisherman until after the walleye spawn, but how are you fishing? Texas rig and top water i use straight braid. I typically only use a flouro leader in clear water or with certain crankbait presentations. I only use mono for live bait presentations.

I'm in the southeast, so my father-in-law and I (his boat) are typically fishing stained water with lots of lay downs and plenty of grass. Honestly, I'm usually using just straight 30lb braid for everything. When the Hydrilla and Milfoil get thick I'll go to my heavy rod with 50lb braid and throw a frog or rip a lipless crank across the top of it. I have only used a flouro leader a few times and really felt like it hindered me. I think it was more a mental thing than anything else, because it made me hesitant to throw into the really woody or thick stuff out of fear of breaking off.

Huskers2008

Poster
Braided for me...in the dirty ass lakes of Nebraska.

I just like the feel, casting, and feeling better w braided. I grew up on mono but now that I’m buying my own gear, I’ll go braided.

I’d equate fishing line to handguns, it’s in the eye of the beholder. One style might fit one guy, while the opposite style fits another.

I’d just say that if you’ve fished w both, you’d probably know which one you preferred.

I think someone said the same thing, but 10-12 is plenty for my fishing.

CadetHawk

Elite
Founder
I'm in the southeast, so my father-in-law and I (his boat) are typically fishing stained water with lots of lay downs and plenty of grass. Honestly, I'm usually using just straight 30lb braid for everything. When the Hydrilla and Milfoil get thick I'll go to my heavy rod with 50lb braid and throw a frog or rip a lipless crank across the top of it. I have only used a flouro leader a few times and really felt like it hindered me. I think it was more a mental thing than anything else, because it made me hesitant to throw into the really woody or thick stuff out of fear of breaking off.
Another reason I use a flouro leader is for breakoffs. Walleye relate to the bottom so I am constantly getting snagged. When snagged in rocks I can usually bow and arrow it free. Wood is a different story and rather than bend my hook straight i would rather put on a new jig. I lost a huge walleye due to using a hook I used after it bent. I will never do that again.

Here is my personal best I caught just over a year ago. 31.25" x 18" 12 lbs
FB_IMG_1617377766131.jpg

Nape

Elite
Founder
I have 50lb braid on all of my poles but I’m generally fishing large northerns or hopeful to catch a large muskie.....like this Mille Lacs beast:
img_6268.jpg

Why would you use a leader for bass?

BodyByDad69

Poster
You must be on Guntersville.

RJ2kWJ

Elite
Founder
I think it took me until 14 in my Oceanography class that bass existed somewhere other than salt water off a boat 7 miles off at 4am.

TJHall1

Legendary
I have 50lb braid on all of my poles but I’m generally fishing large northerns or hopeful to catch a large muskie.....like this Mille Lacs beast:
img_6268.jpg

Why would you use a leader for bass?
Mille Lacs. Nice.

sanction

Legendary
Founder
I use mono. Trilene Big Game Green.

I salt water fish mostly for Speckled Trout and they have a soft mouth. I bass fish for fillets and fun in private lakes.

Braid is good for certain things. I’m getting old and I like to keep it simple.

I will fish 40 # braid on a Penn 6500 for Red Snapper though.

Top Bottom