Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Anyone here work in building materials bulk sales or supply?

CurtOFD78

Elite
There is a very interesting (to me at least) thread on the old MB discussing supplies of building materials. A couple of the posters appear to work in either supply, purchasing, or transportation of raw and building materials, a few other work in industries that rely heavily on these materials. They are basically saying that partially due to the ship stuck in the Suez Canal but also due to other factors that they cannot get this stuff, and prices are acting accordingly. I would be interested to hear from anyone here with any experience with this.

Boxman4

Elite
Founder
It’s insane. I sell packaging to auto suppliers. Corrugated prices are continuing to increase and lead times are out as long as 12-14 weeks (paper shortage). Now there is a glue shortage. Lumber is another nightmare. Prices are up over 100% from a year ago. Inventories are extremely tight because none of the mills want to be stuck with high priced inventory if the bottom falls out. We also struggle with labor shortage and higher labor costs due to extended unemployment benefits. Not fun to be in manufacturing right now.

Stoneynsc1

Poster
I've been in the construction supply industry for 30 years. Lumber and steel are crazy expensive now and starting to get hard to find. There was an explosion at a Chinese plant that produced around 40% of the worlds resins for construction adhesives and other chemicals that combined with the shutdown of all of the Texas plants during the big freeze is threatening to put a halt to some big projects. There is talk of some jobs being put on hold until these supply issues can start to get sorted out. I believe if we start putting jobs on hold that they will never be built. I've seen this movie before (2006-2010) and I know how it ends.

CurtOFD78

Elite
I am looking to sell my current house within the next 2 months. I've been wondering if I should build something new or buy an existing house. I wonder if the prices of new construction is going to go up tremendously due to the materials shortages.

Jtrain80

Legendary
I am looking to sell my current house within the next 2 months. I've been wondering if I should build something new or buy an existing house. I wonder if the prices of new construction is going to go up tremendously due to the materials shortages.

Have you gotten actual recent pricing on a new build?

It is so much easier to build it right the first time, but a 2×4 is 7 dollars right now. In Oklahoma you would be upside down at our housing values. Maybe some other places the cost of real estate could put a dent in it.

CurtOFD78

Elite
Just for reference, I looked on my local Home Depot website for prices on lumber. I installed new fencing a few years back, 6 x 8 PT dogearred panels. Paid about $26 a panel. They are up to just under $40 right now. Good grief.

Jtrain80

Legendary
Just for reference, I looked on my local Home Depot website for prices on lumber. I installed new fencing a few years back, 6 x 8 PT dogearred panels. Paid about $26 a panel. They are up to just under $40 right now. Good grief.

44 & change for that here.

Top Bottom