Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Anyone here own an RV? Diesel pusher, bumper pull trailer, 5th wheel trailer?

CurtOFD78

Elite
The Mrs. and I spent the day at the RV Super Show in Tampa, FL today. We are thinking of selling the house and everything we own when I retire from the FD in 6 1/2 years and buy a 5th wheel and pull it with a Ram 3500 or Ford F-350. We were looking at 5th wheel trailers between 34-37' long. Really liked the Alliance RV products, one of the Jayco trailers and a few of the Keystone trailers. Alliance was my favorite. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

CurtOFD78

Elite
Well I rented an RV once.......

Obviously the best thing to do is go on a few trips with one. I think the idea of traveling like that sounds fun but I wonder if never having a true home base to return to wouldn't get old.
We're gonna look to travel for about a year before trying to find 20 acres in eastern Tennessee (northern 1980 WAS a candidate but I'm not sure I want to live in a blue state) where I can build my rifle range and have a bunch of dogs, a moonshine still, and grow about an acre of "brownies".

Tell_Sackett

Poster
Grand Design makes a really nice 5th wheel. I'd look at Newmar if you go the diesel pusher route.

Both have been recently purchased by Winnebago, but I believe their production is largely unchanged.

TJHall1

Legendary
We're gonna look to travel for about a year before trying to find 20 acres in eastern Tennessee (northern 1980 WAS a candidate but I'm not sure I want to live in a blue state) where I can build my rifle range and have a bunch of dogs, a moonshine still, and grow about an acre of "brownies".
Gotta say I'm ridiculously jealous of what you've got going on and your plans. Wish I had the means!! Fuck Georgia and enjoy them acres when you get there.

Peach-head

Poster
You can rent them for pretty cheap, I’ve looked into it but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. Just to clarify, anything You bumper pull is a camper, not an RV. Rent what you’re considering and see if it works out.

Lolyoyo6

Poster
I work in the RV capital of the world and live by tons of RV guys. Grand Design and Newmar are the kings of building the highest quality units. Would have said go Jayco, before the Borntrager family sold. Keystone makes quality units, too. Would just say avoid Thor and Forrest River. They go for quantity over quality.

That said, you can rent RVs so I recommend doing that to see which ones you truly like.

RHT 3

Elite

Might I suggest a minimum of 40 acres ? I have a 19 acre place, and its big, but not rifle range big. Its a rectangle, and about 500 yards end to end, but has a road that runs parallel.

You should be able to find that size land up there. Hell, go to 100 acres. I shoot my guns but I live in fear of a stray bullet so only shoot towards the back which has a 20 ft tall berm and is only about 200 yards deep.

Lethal34fl2

Poster
Founder
Owned a 28ft Terry 5th wheel with slideout, bought it used and left it up at my in-laws who had 5 acres. I would always sleep in it when we visited with the animals, been thinking about getting another one soon. My brother posts on here and I know he has owned a few campers.

Zgdaf

Elite
Founder
These folks have done what OP is planning on.
Start small with something now for weekend getaways so your experiences help you decide on taking the plunge.
They also have a you tube channel which they go thru different RV setups.

I want to get a 4 wheel camper brand, or a sports mobile
1610906682022.jpeg

Zgdaf

Elite
Founder
Oh the other thought is why limit yourself to land and get a sailboat to live on?

CurtOFD78

Elite
I work in the RV capital of the world and live by tons of RV guys. Grand Design and Newmar are the kings of building the highest quality units. Would have said go Jayco, before the Borntrager family sold. Keystone makes quality units, too. Would just say avoid Thor and Forrest River. They go for quantity over quality.

That said, you can rent RVs so I recommend doing that to see which ones you truly like.
So you work in Elkhart?

Top Bottom