Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Anyone been to the Masters?

Hornstot

Poster
Founder
Finally pulled a golden ticket thru a friend. Flying into ATL Wednesday. Berckmans Place access, Thursday and Friday passes. Fly out Saturday. Currently harder than Chinese Algebra. Any and all tips and advice welcome.

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

tumblr_pjgi9seMQZ1tvcoy6_540.gif

TriggerHappyJack

Random Average Guy
Founder
Went to a Thursday round in ‘07, and Saturday & Sunday round in ‘08.

I would certainly walk all around the course one day; and sit near 16 another and watch all the groups come thru.
From 16 you can see them
Playing 6, coming down 15, playing 16, and teeing off on 17.

you’re doing it right by leaving Saturday.
Personally rather watch Sunday’s round from the comfort of my recliner.

ttyh

Legendary
Founder
Was fortunate to attend on Saturday and Sunday in 2015 for Spieth’s win. One of the most amazing experiences of my life.

Worked for a large multi billion dollar multi national company and this was a deal where I was able to bring a client.

Stayed in Aiken, SC. Had drivers to and from everything. Chefs prepared every meal. Again, amazing experience.

I recommend getting there early and walking the entire course at least once. Eat as many pimento cheese and egg salad sandwiches that you can and enjoy the cheap beer. You will also be amazed with the level of service you receive, all the way down to the bathroom attendants. It’s unbelievable how quickly they can make a line move.

Watched The Masters my whole life and was blown away by certain parts of the course, most notably the slope on 10. It’s a legit blue run at a ski resort. Doesn’t show like that on TV.

Enjoy it, man!

ttyh

Legendary
Founder
Went to a Thursday round in ‘07, and Saturday & Sunday round in ‘08.

I would certainly walk all around the course one day; and sit near 16 another and watch all the groups come thru.
From 16 you can see them
Playing 6, coming down 15, playing 16, and teeing off on 17.

you’re doing it right by leaving Saturday.
Personally rather watch Sunday’s round from the comfort of my recliner.

Agreed with the 16 comment. There is the grandstand to the left of 15 green where you can see all of the incoming shots on 15, action on 15 green and tee box and green on 16 from the same vantage point. We spent a few hours there and I highly recommend it.

TriggerHappyJack

Random Average Guy
Founder
Was fortunate to attend on Saturday and Sunday in 2015 for Spieth’s win. One of the most amazing experiences of my life.

Worked for a large multi billion dollar multi national company and this was a deal where I was able to bring a client.

Stayed in Aiken, SC. Had drivers to and from everything. Chefs prepared every meal. Again, amazing experience.

I recommend getting there early and walking the entire course at least once. Eat as many pimento cheese and egg salad sandwiches that you can and enjoy the cheap beer. You will also be amazed with the level of service you receive, all the way down to the bathroom attendants. It’s unbelievable how quickly they can make a line move.

Watched The Masters my whole life and was blown away by certain parts of the course, most notably the slope on 10. It’s a legit blue run at a ski resort. Doesn’t show like that on TV.

Enjoy it, man!
TV does not do the hills and undulations of the course justice.
Spent some time watching the 10th as well.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
TV does not do the hills and undulations of the course justice.
Spent some time watching the 10th as well.

Was blown away at how hilly it was! I definitely recommend taking a half a day, or whatever, and just walking the whole course. Do it backwards & you'll obviously see more golfers. I have only been to a practice round. Insanely jealous that my Dad got to play there and spend the weekend in a cabin, plus dine & drink there as well, a few years ago. Lucky bastard.

commepositatus

Poster
Founder
Went in 2019 with Berckmans Place access and stayed at Reynolds. Was awesome. The gift shop at Berckmans has stuff you can only buy in that shop. Old Masters logo stuff. Make sure to grab some swag.

BayouCityHorn

Poster
Went in 12 to the Wednesday practice round. Perfect day to go. Take your phone in, Par 3 tournament, $2.00 beer, $2.00 egg salad and pimento cheese sandwiches.

Just soak it all in. It's really mecca for golfers.

Oh, beware of the mustard/sarin gas, Chernobyl farts later.

NolaNole9

Poster
I won the raffle for the first time in 2020. Pushed to November without patrons so tickets carried over to this year. They then decided on 50% attendance, and re-raffled the winning tickets. I did not win the re-raffle, and it feelsgoddamnterribleman.

MVTPatriot

Elite
Founder
My two cents:

- On 15/16, sit in the stands as far "up" 16 tee box/fairway as you can. This will give you line of site to approach shots from fairway to 15 green.
- On 6, you can sit in front and below the tee box and watch shots come over your head to green. The 2 tiers on 6 are absolutely insane. Almost like goofy golf. At least a 4' rise you can't see in TV.
- Sit in the gallery behind 12 and as far left as you can. You can look over your left shoulder to watch approach shots from 11 fairway to green, plus 12 tee shots.
- If you walk the course, be prepared, it is so much hillier than what you expect. You can't see it on TV.
- Hit the apparel tent early if you can for best selection.
- The food is insanely cheap. AN makes so much off the broadcast, they don't screw the attendees on prices.
- If you see anyone out on the course wearing a green jacket, they are likely members. you can follow them for best places to hang to watch shots.
- HAVE FUN!

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
My two cents:

- On 15/16, sit in the stands as far "up" 16 tee box/fairway as you can. This will give you line of site to approach shots from fairway to 15 green.
- On 6, you can sit in front and below the tee box and watch shots come over your head to green. The 2 tiers on 6 are absolutely insane. Almost like goofy golf. At least a 4' rise you can't see in TV.
- Sit in the gallery behind 12 and as far left as you can. You can look over your left shoulder to watch approach shots from 11 fairway to green, plus 12 tee shots.
- If you walk the course, be prepared, it is so much hillier than what you expect. You can't see it on TV.
- Hit the apparel tent early if you can for best selection.
- The food is insanely cheap. AN makes so much off the broadcast, they don't screw the attendees on prices.
- If you see anyone out on the course wearing a green jacket, they are likely members. you can follow them for best places to hang to watch shots.
- HAVE FUN!

Think we can end the thread right here.😂 Advice won't get any better than that.

atlrichkid

Elite
Founder
Can't express enough, to go ahead and bite the bullet and have a plan to get your garb/swag early in the process before the weekend, so that you are not stressed about it... I am also not a big fan of putting stuff in lockers, as that line gets amazingly long at the end of the day when folks are leaving..

also- if you are going Thursday- you have a chance to watch the opening tee shot to the tournament which is really cool....

I really enjoy grabbing a seat at the practice facility and just watching them all hit/ practice... I also like hanging out near the big oak tree they do all the interviews around.

In the old days they didn't televise a lot of the front nine so it was your chance to really get a feel of the holes you didn't get to see much. I would definitely walk the course and see the different holes.

Have to stop for a bit on amen corner to watch some of those shots. 16 is nice also. Also stand behind the tee shot on 18 to see how narrow that shoot is... I'd be puckered up on that one.... Like others have mentioned, the greens and the different tiers are amazing. There are many holes where the place you want to hit the ball is really small or you pay a severe penalty...

Also- the phone policy is no joke on tournament days. You can get your buddies tickets revoked for good if you are not careful.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Can't express enough, to go ahead and bite the bullet and have a plan to get your garb/swag early in the process before the weekend, so that you are not stressed about it... I am also not a big fan of putting stuff in lockers, as that line gets amazingly long at the end of the day when folks are leaving..

also- if you are going Thursday- you have a chance to watch the opening tee shot to the tournament which is really cool....

I really enjoy grabbing a seat at the practice facility and just watching them all hit/ practice... I also like hanging out near the big oak tree they do all the interviews around.

In the old days they didn't televise a lot of the front nine so it was your chance to really get a feel of the holes you didn't get to see much. I would definitely walk the course and see the different holes.

Have to stop for a bit on amen corner to watch some of those shots. 16 is nice also. Also stand behind the tee shot on 18 to see how narrow that shoot is... I'd be puckered up on that one.... Like others have mentioned, the greens and the different tiers are amazing. There are many holes where the place you want to hit the ball is really small or you pay a severe penalty...

Also- the phone policy is no joke on tournament days. You can get your buddies tickets revoked for good if you are not careful.

That view off the tee on 18 is one of the many things there that tv just doesn't do justice. The thing that stood out the most to me was the immaculate landscaping. There is not 1 blade of grass anywhere on that property that isn't perfectly manicured. Not one leaf of anything not intended to be there. It is just flawless. Every square inch, perfect.

d-tiger45

I run shit around here
Founder
Practice round are cool as hell. You can a camera in, I like to place a chair at the 12 tee box.
You can see shots into 11 and tee shots over Raes creek into 12 green.
Also, bleachers at 14 tee allow you to see them come into the 13 green and tee on 14

16 is cool to watch at the green. Also, tv doesn’t do 6 justice as they tee off and people sit on the slope below the tee box and watch shots into the green

everyone said correctly food is cheap and delicious.
The Georgia peach ice cream sandwich is GOAT

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Practice round are cool as hell. You can a camera in, I like to place a chair at the 12 tee box.
You can see shots into 11 and tee shots over Raes creek into 12 green.
Also, bleachers at 14 tee allow you to see them come into the 13 green and tee on 14

16 is cool to watch at the green. Also, tv doesn’t do 6 justice as they tee off and people sit on the slope below the tee box and watch shots into the green

everyone said correctly food is cheap and delicious.
The Georgia peach ice cream sandwich is GOAT

The food is cheap and delicious, and in the practice rounds so are the beers! Merchendise is auite reasonable too.

atlrichkid

Elite
Founder
That view off the tee on 18 is one of the many things there that tv just doesn't do justice. The thing that stood out the most to me was the immaculate landscaping. There is not 1 blade of grass anywhere on that property that isn't perfectly manicured. Not one leaf of anything not intended to be there. It is just flawless. Every square inch, perfect.
LOL i took my wife for the first (and only) time several years ago and we played "find a weed" on the course. About 30 minutes later she was like "holy $hit" you weren't kidding were you.." It is a magical place.

TriggerHappyJack

Random Average Guy
Founder
Agree the view from 18 Tee is great; However, I would say looking back downhill from 18 green is equally if not more amazing.
From there you can actually see and grasp the hills and undulations.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Agree the view from 18 Tee is great; However, I would say looking back downhill from 18 green is equally if not more amazing.
From there you can actually see and grasp the hills and undulations.

True. It drops off like a cliff, back down the hill to the left towards the tee box. None of the course is really done any justice on tv, but especially those steep hills.

ttyh

Legendary
Founder
As others have stated, hit the merch shop early and just ship it directly home from the FedEx/UPS shipping department located right in the store. Just as everything else at Augusta National, it's simple and easy. A well oiled machine. I think I spent about $1500 in there. In hindsight, I wish I had spent $3000.

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Like others have said ... I like to get there really early in the morning and go to the gift shop and purchase my shit. This way I can take it back to my car or do whatever with it so that i don't have to lug it around all day.

If you have never been before I would suggest to just walk the course. If you just follow the big names you get caught up in the crowds and don't get to step back and appreciate the scenery and the golf course. I usually start at 18 and walk back towards 1, but do whatever suits you.

After walking around find a good spot and hang out. I usually like to stand up as opposed to sit down because im always getting beer or sandwhiches or following a good group for a few holes. Some good places to watch are Amen corner. You can see 11 green, 12th hole, and 13tht tee shot.

Another good spot is the Par 3 where they hit over your head? Is it 6? Anyway, you can see the 6th hole par 3 and the famous 16th hole par 3 at the same time.

I like those areas because they have good beer stations, its easy to get around, restrooms are somewhat accessible and you have a decent view.

Anyway, it should be a lot of fun. Enjoy

Viking

Legendary
Founder
The drunkard pointing is my little brother. The next frame of the live shot was me with my visor backwards spilling my beer. The dude we took was passed out with cups stacked on his chest and two hour old pimento cheese sandwich laying right under his nose. He rose with the crowd roar and then passed back out. Epic battle that day between Tiger who stuffed this shot into 11 green and Phil. We all thought it was Phil’s shot. It was Tiger’s day. Enjoy the visit. Amen corner, beer and sandwich tents readily available, cheap! After leaders pass haul up to18. SKOL!
E96AAD11-E588-483C-9536-0A0C4F75AE40.jpeg

JuliusLeRoy

Elite
Founder
been a few times...when Fuzzy won, one of my best friends and myself watched Ed Sneed blow a 2 footer on 18 and hauled ass to the 10th green for the three man playoff...the big highlight on 18 was the arrival of local legend James Brown and his extensive entourage...JB had a fur coat on or I’ve been telling this story so long I made it up that he did....after 10 we headed to Amen Corner after no conclusion on 10...Amen Corner was crowded..we literally climbed the ladder of the CBS broadcast tower to see over the crowd...as the balls came into 11 from up the fairway not knowing whose they were I asked the CBS camerman just above me whose they were....he obliged...I didn’t ask the third....process of elimination....Tom Watson and Sneed missed on 11 and Fuzzy holed a 6 footer for the win...another time Jack spoke to my wife at a tee box...her claim to fame I think

Last edited:

noelnole

Elite
Founder
when you purchase gear, go to the proshop near the 15th hole, less crowded (at least when i was there)

DawgB

Poster
Live in Augusta, been a bazillion times, used to caddy there too - lots of solid advice itt.

Would add:
- if you want to see them rip drives, #8 & #11. #8 is my favorite drive to watch
- hidden gems are the right of #2 tee, you can walk up that side, and directly behind#11
- sit on #13 fairway on the ropes about 220 yds out. It's about where the tee shots land, and watch great 2nd shot into the green, favorite spot to watch 2nd shot on the course
- also #11/12 sit in the chair gallery
- bring or buy a golf chair

Nape

Elite
Founder
I was a club pro at West Lake CC in Augusta in the early 90s. Got to play the National two times thanks to Frank Chirkinian. He was a member at WCC and took me both times.

Agree on all recs. I like the rec above about sitting on 13 fairway watching second shots into that green. Such a majestic view.

As an addendum, the CBS announcing crew all stayed at West Lake. I played 3 days with McCord, Clampett, and Kostis. We had a fucking blast. I think my side still hurts from laughing at McCord.

Icculus

Poster
I’ve been a few days every year since early 90s, just grab a couple beers and a few sandwiches and walk the course. Take a seat on 16 and enjoy the view. I’m supposed to go Thursday and Friday this year but a client called last night wanting to meet at a property he’s buying in Mobile Thursday. I’m pissed!

It’ll be nice out there with limited patrons. Have fun!

Edit: made some arrangements and gonna be out there Thursday. Look for me OP, I’ll be the tall guy with two beers, and two sandwiches in hand at all times. Hopefully that rain in the forecast stays away.

Last edited:
Top Bottom