Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

@AmericanViking: need some recs

AmericanViking

Legendary
Founder
Since Yule is almost upon us, I need a good mead. The wife bought me a badass drinking horn to celebrate my Norse heritage but I need a good drink to go with it.

Skal, ven

Edit to tag. @AmericanViking

I’ve had several meads but I don’t have a specific recommendation.

What I recommend is looking up Wassail. There are several ways to make it but it’s a fantastic winter/holiday drink. The Vikings brought it with them and it became an old English tradition. Our family makes it every year.

There are several ways to make it but our family does a homemade apple spiced cider with oranges. Add rum, vodka, brandy (Is not always used) , and a gin. You can mix and match to taste and same with ratio. Apple pie vodka with cranberry is great to add.

Edit: it’s a mulled (warmed) drink kind of like a good German Gluehwein. If you don’t know what that is your are missing out on a good warm winter drink. We drank it at every Christkindlmarkt and Weihnachtsfest. Fond memories.

Edit: apple is a necessity with the cider. Apple was crucial.

Last edited:

Sandford’s_Finest

Poster
Founder
Excellent. I’ll look into it and get some ideas. I’ve only really had the Danske Mjod, and like it just fine warm or chilled. It’s a little sweet but it is honey wine after all.

Top Bottom