Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Air National Guard

Hutchhawk

Elite
Founder
My 18yr old son is thinking about it. Anybody serving or have sons/daughters currently serving? I would like to see what it's like. Thanks

Nas

Poster
Joined the Army Reserve during the Troop Surge of 08. Served in Helmand Province finding and destroying IEDs during the pinnacle of that threat.

Now that its been a decade I wish I went Air Guard. During our rotation back home in 2011 we stopped at this Air base in Kyrgyzstan, mostly staffed by air guard guys. They had dorms with AC, rec league basketball, cell phones, internet and good food. They even had a bar and a coffee shop, pizza hut etc.

We spent a couple of days there before getting shipped home. On the bus ride to the flight line I realized the guy driving was getting the same pay and benefits I got for getting demolished by IEDs and sleeping in a hole in the ground with no running water or phones.

I tell everyone interested in joining the Air Force to do it. Pick a job that will get you trained for a profession, like laying fiber optic cable, and benefit from the VA loans. You can literally do anything, live in a small town with a hospital- do sterile processing, live in a big city- do some sort of heavy machinery or something that will always be needed. You get paid to learn the job. Insurance for life.

AgEngDawg

Legendary
Joined the Army Reserve during the Troop Surge of 08. Served in Helmand Province finding and destroying IEDs during the pinnacle of that threat.

Now that its been a decade I wish I went Air Guard. During our rotation back home in 2011 we stopped at this Air base in Kyrgyzstan, mostly staffed by air guard guys. They had dorms with AC, rec league basketball, cell phones, internet and good food. They even had a bar and a coffee shop, pizza hut etc.

We spent a couple of days there before getting shipped home. On the bus ride to the flight line I realized the guy driving was getting the same pay and benefits I got for getting demolished by IEDs and sleeping in a hole in the ground with no running water or phones.

I tell everyone interested in joining the Air Force to do it. Pick a job that will get you trained for a profession, like laying fiber optic cable, and benefit from the VA loans. You can literally do anything, live in a small town with a hospital- do sterile processing, live in a big city- do some sort of heavy machinery or something that will always be needed. You get paid to learn the job. Insurance for life.

Did y'all have MRAPs are they were not around yet?

mtsuhog85

Poster
Founder
My 18yr old son is thinking about it. Anybody serving or have sons/daughters currently serving? I would like to see what it's like. Thanks
I fly for a major airline and work with a ton of guys that are affiliated with the ANG.

One of my major regrets is not serving in a branch as my dad did. 20 years in and his Healthcare is fully paid for thru tri-care and gets a military pension.

The guys I know in the ANG love it, even the load master. Its saved their bacon on more than one occasion because of layoffs at the airlines.

Honestly, I'd say do it, but get in as early as possible to try to get the 20 years in.

Hope this helps.

Hutchhawk

Elite
Founder
I fly for a major airline and work with a ton of guys that are affiliated with the ANG.

One of my major regrets is not serving in a branch as my dad did. 20 years in and his Healthcare is fully paid for thru tri-care and gets a military pension.

The guys I know in the ANG love it, even the load master. Its saved their bacon on more than one occasion because of layoffs at the airlines.

Honestly, I'd say do it, but get in as early as possible to try to get the 20 years in.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. He had his first interview with the recruiter last night. Moving on to round two.

flyerjeff

Poster
Founder
Currently finishing my time in the Texas Air National Guard. Depending on what you do I would highly recommend it. I fly MQ-9 Reaper (drones) and I’m on Federal Title 10 orders just like as if I’m still Active Duty. About to hit 20 in a couple years. Same mission/mind set as Active but much better situation. That all works if you have a job that is actively needed. Most jobs only have a few AGR (active slots). The rest are DSG (part time) folks and have civilian jobs as a primary.

flyerjeff

Poster
Founder
Promotion and AGR slots go by board interviews not testing. Essentially everyone vying for a promotion or full time position are waiting for someone to either retire or leave the unit to compete for that spot.

Top Bottom