Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

About to try my batch of gumbo

Sloppy Mexican

Elite
Founder
Made a roux, cooked trinity with some thin sliced Conecuh sausage. Added wonderful seasonings to homemade chicken stock then added chunks of fresh sheepshead, shrimp, and crab claws.
She’s been simmering for about an hour and the rice is ready. I’ll report back after I fill my belly....

Whatchall cookin?

skoerner

Poster
Made a roux, cooked trinity with some thin sliced Conecuh sausage. Added wonderful seasonings to homemade chicken stock then added chunks of fresh sheepshead, shrimp, and crab claws.
She’s been simmering for about an hour and the rice is ready. I’ll report back after I fill my belly....

Whatchall cookin?

Not being an ass but I'm a gumbo making God (well, better than average). You've been cooking the fish and shrimp for an hour and it's still simmering? Just curious.

I reverse seared a couple of thick strips I picked up at Fresh Market. They turned out ok. Got a little overcooked like your seafood probably is. Just kidding I hope. The steaks hit around 138°. Missed it by 8° which matters a bunch.

Sloppy Mexican

Elite
Founder
Not being an ass but I'm a gumbo making God (well, better than average). You've been cooking the fish and shrimp for an hour and it's still simmering? Just curious.

I reverse seared a couple of thick strips I picked up at Fresh Market. They turned out ok. Got a little overcooked like your seafood probably is. Just kidding I hope. The steaks hit around 138°. Missed it by 8° which matters a bunch.
The fish, shrimp and crab were added late and cooked for about 30 min. I like the chunks of fish to break apart, which they did. Nothing overcooked.

skoerner

Poster
The fish, shrimp and crab were added late and cooked for about 30 min. I like the chunks of fish to break apart, which they did. Nothing overcooked.

Good. You didn't mention the late add of the seafood and I knew it would taste like shit if you cooked it over an hour. Looks like you whipped up a pretty roux. How long did it take and what fat did you use?

skoerner

Poster
Bacon grease is so good for roux. You're more froggy than I am if you pulled that color off in 30 minutes. I'm an hour and a few minutes guy because I'm scared of burning it and starting over. I've done that more than once. Kinda like my steaks tonight...

Baloo

Poster
Founder
I must drink faster. About 5 beer roux. Milk chocolate color.

But then I discovered the oven roux method. I will never go back to the stove top method. It is easier and more consistent.
Please share details of the oven technique for roux. I'm also an hour of consistently stirring with the stove top method.

Cyberty

Elite
Founder
Please share details of the oven technique for roux. I'm also an hour of consistently stirring with the stove top method.
Heat an oven to 350°. Whisk equal parts canola oil and flour in an 8-qt. Dutch oven; bake, uncovered, until the color reaches the requisite dark brown, about 1½–2 hours. Whisk about two times during the time. Then simply transfer the pot from the oven to your stove and make your gumbo.

Baloo

Poster
Founder
Heat an oven to 350°. Whisk equal parts canola oil and flour in an 8-qt. Dutch oven; bake, uncovered, until the color reaches the requisite dark brown, about 1½–2 hours. Whisk about two times during the time. Then simply transfer the pot from the oven to your stove and make your gumbo.
Thanks, I'll definitely try that next time.
I've gravitated away from the gumbo lately as our GI system has decided it's not as welcome as it once was. It may be a mental issue staring at that much oil /flour for an hour 🤔
I've started making a 'seafood stew' instead from a blend of South America and North African recipes .
It's a definite crowd pleaser.

Nape

Elite
Founder
I must drink faster. About 5 beer roux. Milk chocolate color.

But then I discovered the oven roux method. I will never go back to the stove top method. It is easier and more consistent.
I’m drinking 40 ounce Colts. 😎. And bourbon. And a little herb for the chef. LOL. Salute.

I saw Alton Brown do that and it looked perfect. I take my roux right to the edge at dark brick. It can get a little sketchy but having your trinity at hand and a low temp can keep it out of that danger zone we all fear.

ttyh

Legendary
Founder
My Mom has done a microwave roux a couple of times recently, and I kid you not, you can't tell the difference. It's incredibly tasty and she can get it to the perfect muddy color. And she is the native south Louisiana Roux Queen.

Boxman4

Elite
Founder
Ok boys (and ladies), I am trying my first chicken and sausage gumbo on Sunday. Walk me through the roux process. I plan on using bacon grease, but can I add a little butter or oil if I don’t have enough?

Cyberty

Elite
Founder

Edau24

Poster
That is a fine looking gumbo, the roux looks perfect. The only thing I would have refrained from using is the sausage. It just doesn't feel right in a traditional seafood gumbo and can heavily influence the flavor of the gumbo base

Top Bottom