Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

A Quick Gun Question

skoerner

Poster
I was reading a long thread on tMB about gun confiscation. Of course it turned into the shit show you would expect with all of the same players like the Rutgers guy and Tallassee whatever his name is postulating. Some people keep talking about registered guns. Do they mean that people actually report the guns they own to the gubment or do the mean the background check where now they know you purchased a gun and allowed the transaction? I assume the latter but you never know with some of these communist states in the Union like California and NY.

By the way. I don't own any guns. Insert proverbial "I lost my guns in a boating accident" line here.

skoerner

Poster
I need to find some black market guns to replace the legally purchased ones I lost at the bottom of Lake Martin that tragic summer day. Any of ya'll want to sell? Just kidding. No intelligent person would sell a gun right now.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
They want to register every firearm. The background checks are a good hint but not 100% for purchases. People will get the background check without actually purchasing the firearm for whatever reason. But if credit card co's and banks are gonna fork over data to the gov'mt then they could make that correlation pretty easy.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
In my free state of South Carolina, guns are not registered. At least not officially. Like someone above mentioned, if you bought it from a dealer & had a background check done (4473), the government knows. They likely know anyway...but as far as actually officially having a registry of gun owners? Not nationally, but some commie states do officially keep tabs like that.

N. Pappagiorgio

Poster
Founder
In my free state of South Carolina, guns are not registered. At least not officially. Like someone above mentioned, if you bought it from a dealer & had a background check done (4473), the government knows. They likely know anyway...but as far as actually officially having a registry of gun owners? Not nationally, but some commie states do officially keep tabs like that.
Yes but they have no idea if you sold your gun, gave it to a friend, lost it, had it stolen, etc...

Red'75™

Poster
Founder
What they want is to know who owns the guns. To do that, they want all firearms registered and a background check completed with every transaction, albeit from a licensed shop owner or from person to person. Now, I could construct 17 different "theories" as to why they really want all firearms registered but who really knows? The thing is, I couldn't care less if they know I own guns. Hell, they already do. Anything you purchase with a debit or credit card is traceable anyway. Whether it's a quart of Valvoline and a box of rubbers, a copy of Mein Kampf or an AR-15....they know what you're buying and if they don't, they can find out. Besides that, fuck'em. I mean, I'll fight it tooth and nail but the truth is, if people can collect welfare checks and food stamps for 6 generations and get away with it, surely I can keep a pistol hidden.

Last edited:

Quatch$

Elite
What they want is to know who owns the guns. To do that, they want all firearms registered and a background check completed with every transaction, albeit from a licensed shop owner or from person to person. Now, I could construct 17 different "theories" as to why they really want all firearms registered but who really knows? The thing is, I couldn't care less if they know I own guns. Hell, they already do. Anything you purchase with a debit or credit card is traceable anyway. Whether it's a quart or Valvoline and a box of rubbers, a copy of Mein Kampf or an AR-15....they know what you're buying and if they don't, they can find out. Besides that, fuck'em. I mean, I'll fight it tooth and nail but the truth is, if people can collect welfare checks and food stamps for 6 generations and get away with it, surely I can keep a pistol hidden.

TxTrack

Poster
If you got a background check during purchase, it’s registered with the gubment.
That isn’t exactly true.

You filled out a sheet of paper but by law (as of today) that form is legally not allowed to be searchable in any database and remains with the gun dealer as long as they are in business.

if they go out of business the paperwork is shipped to the NFA and is only searchable through a manual process (digging through filing cabinets).

GPSooner

Poster
I need to find some black market guns to replace the legally purchased ones I lost at the bottom of Lake Martin that tragic summer day. Any of ya'll want to sell? Just kidding. No intelligent person would sell a gun right now.
From what I understand, in Nebraska the registration stays with the gun shop unless your city or county has a different requirement. The place where I buy my guns has assured everyone those records will never be turned over. I wish I hadn't lost those guns in a boating accident...

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
That isn’t exactly true.

You filled out a sheet of paper but by law (as of today) that form is legally not allowed to be searchable in any database and remains with the gun dealer as long as they are in business.

if they go out of business the paperwork is shipped to the NFA and is only searchable through a manual process (digging through filing cabinets).

All true, but sadly our fbi and doj have shown that they don't care about following the law.

yankmenoodle

Elite
Many years ago I had a neighbor that died unexpectedly, and he had four filled gun safes. He had more at his mothers house. He was a former state trooper and bought a gun every payday. I begged his wife to sell them. I assured her she'd get top dollar for them. I never could get her to do it.

22*43*51

Boob Enthusiast
Founder
That isn’t exactly true.

I only buy from paper filing dealers. My current guy sells out of a Morton building on his farm.

Says if the Democrats ever pull some bullshit, that old building might have an electrical issue and burn to the ground.

skoerner

Poster
I only buy from paper filing dealers. My current guy sells out of a Morton building on his farm.

Says if the Democrats ever pull some bullshit, that old building might have an electrical issue and burn to the ground.

Speak to me of these paper filing dealers. What does that mean and how would a person find such an individual?

Top Bottom