Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

5th Wheel camper/bumper pull camper folks

CurtOFD78

Elite
The wife and I are looking to retire in a few years and buy a 38ish foot 5th wheel or bumper pull camper and travel around the country to meet all you fine FSF folks (not really, but if we do it's a bonus). If anyone here has either a 5th wheel or bumper pull, why do you like it over the other? Also, what do you pull it with? I'm thinking of going big and getting a Ford F-350 or Ram 3500 Duel axel. Might as well have the ass to pull it and keep it stable. What say you?

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
I have a 28ft outback. My old tundra pulled it no problem. If you are dragging through the mountains you need that ass to pull it. Everywhere i went is flat

HnstTune

Elite
Founder
This sounds fantastic. When my kids are a little older I’d like to take 3 or 4 weeks in the summer and rent an RV of some type and roam the western US. Mountain states mostly.

Ttuplm05

Poster
The wife and I are looking to retire in a few years and buy a 38ish foot 5th wheel or bumper pull camper and travel around the country to meet all you fine FSF folks (not really, but if we do it's a bonus). If anyone here has either a 5th wheel or bumper pull, why do you like it over the other? Also, what do you pull it with? I'm thinking of going big and getting a Ford F-350 or Ram 3500 Duel axel. Might as well have the ass to pull it and keep it stable. What say you?
If you plan to travel alot, go 5th wheel. My family is a bunch of journeymen construction workers. All started out with bumper pulls, mainly due to costs starting out, but once able upgraded to 5th wells.

A 38ft bumper pull, youre pulling 38ft.

A 38ft 5th wheel, you're pulling say 32ish. Will help if for some reason you want a small boat, sxs, etc too. Helps stay under length limits.

As to truck size, I have a 2019 ram 2500 and can do 19k lbs towing. Currently looking at a family bunkhouse 5th wheel in the 38-42ft range and they are generally around 12k lbs. However, if you're doing a retirement, comfortable, nice big 5th wheel, diff go with a 350(0) dually

Jtrain80

Legendary
Hahahaha you nailed that one. Thats literally my camper tho. I'm poor as shit.

I have a 1968 Forrester. Drove to damn near Nebraska from okc to get it last summer.

The guy said he had no idea how to list it for so he started at 2800. No bites for 2 weeks. Dropped to 1800 and it sold in an hour. There was 3 people on standby in case we didnt show up.

Wife makes me park it where she can see the water from her bed. I usually sleep outside by the fire. (Pass out inebriated)

We got that and a boat last September, plan on spending all summer at the lake. Good times.

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
I well tell one thing that nobody will say to you but is apparently a huge thing..... Check the fucking lug nuts on the 5th wheel every month the first year.

Parents bought a 5th wheel camper and we went to a state park. They had done a western trip to Montana an Wyo before. Parents went home and let me and my gf kinda travel the area and see shit. We were going through an intersection in a small town and the wheel fell off the right side. Some random absolute hero showed up and HAD THE LUG NUTS at his shop and fixed it for us for free... wouldn't accept payment. He said it was common for those campers to loosen up the first 6 months.

I've never heard of it before but it happened and dude said its common... Just tighten those fuckers up when you get home each trip the first year.

44Bobcats55

Elite
Founder
Bought a Jayco Eagle in November. On our fourth trip so far. Pull it with a F250 4x4 gas. Already want a bigger one. If I did it again I would go with a Grand Design Solitude. I want one with an office so I can head to the mountains in summer and keep my income rolling in.

1618176029405.jpeg

Jayhacker

Legendary
Founder
I well tell one thing that nobody will say to you but is apparently a huge thing..... Check the fucking lug nuts on the 5th wheel every month the first year.

Parents bought a 5th wheel camper and we went to a state park. They had done a western trip to Montana an Wyo before. Parents went home and let me and my gf kinda travel the area and see shit. We were going through an intersection in a small town and the wheel fell off the right side. Some random absolute hero showed up and HAD THE LUG NUTS at his shop and fixed it for us for free... wouldn't accept payment. He said it was common for those campers to loosen up the first 6 months.

I've never heard of it before but it happened and dude said its common... Just tighten those fuckers up when you get home each trip the first year.
Had a friend pulling his 40' to AZ for the winter and blew 2 tires at different times. He went cheap ass on tires and paid a price. Tires both shredded without him knowing and both ended up going through the floor. About an $6k repair bill.

Yep00

Poster
Bought a Jayco Eagle in November. On our fourth trip so far. Pull it with a F250 4x4 gas. Already want a bigger one. If I did it again I would go with a Grand Design Solitude. I want one with an office so I can head to the mountains in summer and keep my income rolling in.

View attachment 14683
If you upgrade anything, upgrade the truck to the diesel.

Yep00

Poster
350, 250, 2500... diesel all the way. My brother bought a 250 gas burner last year with me doing everything I could to tell him to get the diesel, he just traded it in on a 250 diesel. They gave him within $1000 of what he paid for it a year ago so a pretty good trade up.

Top Bottom