Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Why the 20% market drop is actually much worse than it seems

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Not only has the market dropped 20% but the value of the currency that operates in that market has dropped 15%. So what looks like 20% drop is actually a 30% loss in value.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

tenor.gif

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
Where are you getting 15% drop in dollar value? I would have thought it more than that.
I read this week that the ruble was up 11% vs the petrodollar. Best performer of all countries. Lets go Brandon.
Fucking adults in the room huh?
I was just estimating really.

I think the idea I'm trying to get out is that The Crash has already happened and going conservative in investments or staying conservative could be near financial suicide at this point

VosFrost

Elite
Founder
Dollar is the strongest it’s been against all major currencies in a long time, quick look at Bloomberg charts

GBP: USD strongest since May 2020(Brexit dipped below 1.15)

EUR: USD strongest since March 2017. If we break much lower, will be strongest since 2003

JPY: USD strongest since 1998

This will continue as the US aggressively raises rates while the rest of the world stays behind. It will also continue as US remains as haven currency during times of conflcit(especially since that’s been stripped from the Yen)

Edit: source, I work in the currency markets

VosFrost

Elite
Founder
Bascially what @VosFrost said. Dollar has been strong recently, not sure its dropped 15%. I don't track currencies that much so he will know a lot better than i do.
To note, if Ukraine dies down and the ECB starts raising rates, as expected, USD will “depreciate” 15-20% over the next year from current levels.

Additional color, a weaker dollar is good for domestic manufacturers as their goods will be more competitive internationally as the buying power of the dollars allows us to buy more internationally.

A stronger dollar makes it difficult for those companies to be competitive.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder
To note, if Ukraine dies down and the ECB starts raising rates, as expected, USD will “depreciate” 15-20% over the next year from current levels.

Additional color, a weaker dollar is good for domestic manufacturers as their goods will be more competitive internationally as the buying power of the dollars allows us to buy more internationally.

A stronger dollar makes it difficult for those companies to be competitive.
Thanks man. Always great to have experts in the room

VosFrost

Elite
Founder
Can we say the the purchasing power of the dollar has decreased? At least nationally, or is that not true
Its nuanced, obviously a US Dollar can buy less today than a year ago.

I’d consider 3 specific categories:

1. Strength of a currency, generally based on comparing it to other currencies. Supply and demand definitely plays a role.

2. The supply of that currency - how much new currency have we “created” recently?

3. The cost of goods and services - this is increasing as raw materials and labor increase.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder

1. Strength of a currency, generally based on comparing it to other currencies. Supply and demand definitely plays a role.

2. The supply of that currency - how much new currency have we “created” recently?

3. The cost of goods and services - this is increasing as raw materials and labor increase.
How much new currency has been created recently?

Can we say the the purchasing power of the dollar has decreased? At least nationally, or is that not true
This would be more accurate.

The dollar has grown in strength since COVID because demand has skyrocketed.

The cost of goods and services going up is pretty much baked into every day life. The reason people notice inflation right now is only because it’s higher than normal.

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder

So based on these three categories, where do you see that we stand?

VosFrost

Elite
Founder
So do you trade currencies or provide analysis or something?
Currency sales / risk management for major bank.

How can companies manage their international risk and make foreign currency payables and receivables as efficiently as possible?

For a generic example, imagine Ford has 100MM in EUR deposits that are earning negative 50 bps. What happens if EUR depreciates 5% or 10% or 20%? How does that affect their bottom line and how do they manage that risk?

shiv

John
Administrator
Founder

How can companies manage their international risk and make foreign currency payables and receivables as efficiently as possible?

For a generic example, imagine Ford has 100MM in EUR deposits that are earning negative 50 bps. What happens if EUR depreciates 5% or 10% or 20%? How does that affect their bottom line and how do they manage that risk?
Very cool. You and @ChicagoFats should put your heads together and make us all billionaires

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder

The cost of goods and services going up is pretty much baked into every day life. The reason people notice inflation right now is only because it’s higher than normal.

Yeah, like 5-10x higher than normal...a couple percent is normal, but not shit like we are seeing today.

Technically the dollar may be strong, compared to other currencies, but average Americans' dollars are just buying goods and services locally...where their value has plummeted in the last couple of years.

Yeah, like 5-10x higher than normal...a couple percent is normal, but not shit like we are seeing today.

Technically the dollar may be strong, compared to other currencies, but average Americans' dollars are just buying goods and services locally...where their value has plummeted in the last couple of years.
This is why we gotta start making stuff from start to finish here in The US again. It would give The US consumer and producer much more control over changes in price.

There is plenty of work force who have a desire / demand to upgrade into these sorts of jobs to boot. Add on the desire from the broader American public for local production and it’s obvious which direction things should be trending.

God bless Donald Trump for being brave enough to tap into this sentiment!

Cheddarwurst

Elite
Founder

If you were cash heavy, could you explain what you’d do with your money like you were telling a 4 year old?

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder

Saluda alm bgahata

Green
Verde

Top Bottom