Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Who Uses a Pellet Smoker?

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Got mine fired up for the first time now!
I got a Traeger as a gift and love it.

The downside was that i gained a good 10lbs after getting it. Had to cut back on the amount of stuff I was cooking for a while. ha

My favorite thing that i have done so far ... last weekend I did short ribs over grits and it was awesome. Even I couldn't fuck it up.

JerBearr

I got a Traeger as a gift and love it.

The downside was that i gained a good 10lbs after getting it. Had to cut back on the amount of stuff I was cooking for a while. ha

My favorite thing that i have done so far ... last weekend I did short ribs over grits and it was awesome. Even I couldn't fuck it up.
My mom has a Weber EX6 and I got addicted to what she was making, so I ordered a ZGrills 7002

I'm going to be spending quite a bit of money on meat over the next few months....I'm not even mad

Shaun52

SCAR Cawk Connoisseur
Founder
My mom has a Weber EX6 and I got addicted to what she was making, so I ordered a ZGrills 7002

I'm going to be spending quite a bit of money on meat over the next few months....I'm not even mad
WTF would anyone spend that kind of money on a pellet when there are tailgater pellet smokers half the price???

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Because you can't fit shit on a tailgater, you fuckin moron. Thats like saying: "Why did you buy an explorer when you can get a focus way cheaper."

Facepalm.gif

Dude, why would anyone buy something like this-

Gasgrills.jpg

When you can get something like this for practically free?

s-l1000.jpg

I mean, they are both just gas grills.

Pillow Pants

Elite
Founder
I'll admit it feels more manly to use a standard smoker, but some things are about convenience/a very good final product and not about the hobby.
I understand wanting the convenience, but how about neither a pellet smoker or a standard smoker? Get a BGE and change your life.

JerBearr

I understand wanting the convenience, but how about neither a pellet smoker or a standard smoker? Get a BGE and change your life.
I would likely need a 2xl, which costs $2000, to get similar cooking space. I have a propane grill already (I do want a mini portable charcoal grill for times that I want to put in extra effort), and convenience. The bge requires lots of effort and monitoring. Getting the temperature consistent is difficult and annoying. I want to click the "on" button and then not fight with it.

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
Have been told they are amazing, can even get them with an app that monitors your food from your phone.

Shaun52

SCAR Cawk Connoisseur
Founder
Because you can't fit shit on a tailgater, you fuckin moron. Thats like saying: "Why did you buy an explorer when you can get a focus way cheaper."

Facepalm.gif
You’re truly a fucking moron. The tailgaters can do 2 20lb butts or up to 4 racks of ribs. How much more do you need to cook unless you’re cooking commercially or for large parties everyday???

JerBearr

Have been told they are amazing, can even get them with an app that monitors your food from your phone.
Yeah the weber my parents have (I linked above) has this feature. I wish mine did this but it doesn't. I do have 2 built in probes though. I would prefer 4 because it's good practice to probe large piece of meat in multiple spots, but 2 is fine. I have a stand alone bluetooth enabled monitor with 8 probes so I really don't need the extra built in probes....I just want them lol

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
Yeah the weber my parents have (I linked above) has this feature. I wish mine did this but it doesn't. I do have 2 built in probes though. I would prefer 4 because it's good practice to probe large piece of meat in multiple spots, but 2 is fine. I have a stand alone bluetooth enabled monitor with 8 probes so I really don't need the extra built in probes....I just want them lol
How's the cleanup on it?

Shaun52

SCAR Cawk Connoisseur
Founder
Get this

Life changing

JerBearr

How's the cleanup on it?
I only just used it once. It suggested I wrap the "grease tray" in aluminum foil, but I know damn well that I'm not going to wrap it every time and it will eventually get disgusting, so I did not do it. I will probably clean the drip tray with oven cleaner once every 2 or 3 uses. I dont want it to get so nasty that I start to impart burn flavor into my smoked foods, but there's no way I'm disassembling the interior of the grill every time to wrap it in foil.

Other than that, I think its pretty easy. Just gotta keep up with it. The grill grates are ceramic and should clean easily unless you BURN food onto it.

The meat probes need to be cleaned after every use else they will begin to get crusted over with burned meat juices and char. If that happens they will likely begin to give an improper reading. After I removed my food from the smoker, clean up was less than 10 minutes. I think it is recommended to remove your remaining unused pellets from the hopper and do a few other things to remove the unused pellets from the auger, but theres no way in hell Im going to that effort. That would turn into a 30 minute process...not to mention with the next use I would need to run the smoker for 10 minutes before pellets cycle all the way through the auger.

Pillow Pants

Elite
Founder
I would likely need a 2xl, which costs $2000, to get similar cooking space. I have a propane grill already (I do want a mini portable charcoal grill for times that I want to put in extra effort), and convenience. The bge requires lots of effort and monitoring. Getting the temperature consistent is difficult and annoying. I want to click the "on" button and then not fight with it.
First of all, how many people are you cooking for? A XXL is typically only used by restaurants or something like it. A large is plenty large enough to cook for groups of people - I do it a lot. If you need extra space, there are grill extenders that go on top of the normal grill. I've never needed one though.

The BGE does not require a lot of effort or monitoring. I just cooked with it tonight. I spent 2 minutes lighting it and setting it up, and then probably spent a total of 4 more minutes at the grill throughout the cook. Very easy, and a very consistent cook.

Now, if you want an "on" button, you can't get that with a BGE. That's true. Let me know how your pizza turns out though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom