Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What's Your Security System?

hmt5000

Legendary
Founder
I have a black cat that is actually more terrifying than the dog. I went on vacation and my niece was going to feed while I was gone and she got soooo scared of the beag that she wouldn't feed. My brother in law ended up feeding and even he said he was just dumping food on the ground and kept a broom on hand.

I've never had that dude get really angry before. He's attacked a foot here and there and he's whooped some other animals if he didn't want to be fucked with and he did smack the dogshit out of kid that insisted on picking him up... but he's never just attacked someone for no reason.

Turns out ole boy isn't cool with strangers in the house when daddy isn't home. That is a good pussy.

BurntJ

B2B Champ/ Feels Great to be King!
Founder
5 Nest cameras backed up by a couple shotguns.

Truck got stolen out of my driveway about a year ago so installed the cameras. No problems since.
Yeah…..new house has pool so….convinced the wife we need cameras everywhere “for insurance purposes if someone gets hurt or drown”. Needless to say we now have a 16 camera system on the exterior alone. It has its own backup power and storage. 🤣

tiderollsonu

A man from Nantucket
Founder
17252.jpg

Jtrain80

Legendary
It’s the remote control with orange duct tape on so it doesn’t get lost. FYI it’s been missing for days

Fuckin lost remotes are the worst. Somehow the remote in my den was leaking water tonight. Don’t know if that’s worse or better than a lost one

A buddy of mine is a life long bachelor, that I have been jealous exactly once. I went to pick him up, while organizing before we left he sat the remote on the coffee table.

I was like "fuck you dickhead, you know it will be there when you get back huh?".

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
I will never understand why people will “secure” their home with Google Nest.

We’re from Google. We’re here to help.

1) it tells me the second it “sees” a person on my property. It can even tell if it “recognizes” the person or not. I can then talk through the camera if needed.
2) if you rob me and I find you afterward, well, that’s what the shotgun is for. (I don’t have much valuable shit anyway tbh)

It’s an impressive system. It can distinguish between motion and people, can record all day or just when you are away from your home.

One time a kid got hurt in my backyard and we had it on camera. Another time the neighbors car got hit on the street and I was able to track down the offender.

It’s not the only line of defense but it feels like a good thing to have .

TJHall1

Legendary
1) it tells me the second it “sees” a person on my property. It can even tell if it “recognizes” the person or not. I can then talk through the camera if needed.
2) if you rob me and I find you afterward, well, that’s what the shotgun is for. (I don’t have much valuable shit anyway tbh)

It’s an impressive system. It can distinguish between motion and people, can record all day or just when you are away from your home.

One time a kid got hurt in my backyard and we had it on camera. Another time the neighbors car got hit on the street and I was able to track down the offender.

It’s not the only line of defense but it feels like a good thing to have .
I think it's more of the fact that Google is recording every movement and sound in your house and whatever other info they can record with regards to what other Google products you're using.

Not that the system itself is ineffective.

This is from an article about nest security, nest thermostats, nest smart speaker, etc:

Unfortunately, when it comes to privacy, Google isn't doing much to reassure its users. If you go to Google's privacy policy, the company says that by using any of its services (including the Google Assistant), you're giving it permission to use your data however it wants, including sharing it with third parties.

This means that if a developer wanted access, they could potentially get access your information and target ads towards you.

The good news is that Google has said it won't share personally identifiable information (such as names or email addresses). Still, the company won't tell users anything more about how it plans to use the data. If you want an explanation of how Google is using your information, you'll have to ask for it.

Last edited:

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
I think it's more of the fact that Google is recording every movement and sound in your house and whatever other info they can record with regards to what other Google products you're using.

Not that the system itself is ineffective.
Well apple, my phone on the inside of my house and everywhere I go, gets a lot more info than Google on the outside of my house.

I agree with you it all sucks but don’t think nest is any worse of an offender than many other products.

Alexa comes to mind but I don’t use that.

TJHall1

Legendary
Well apple, my phone on the inside of my house and everywhere I go, gets a lot more info than Google on the outside of my house.

I agree with you it all sucks but don’t think nest is any worse of an offender than many other products.

Alexa comes to mind but I don’t use that.
I edited and added a bit of an article to my last post.

I don't use any of that smart shit whether it be apple, Google, or whatever.

D

Deleted member 2886

Just seems like willful surveillance to me.
Totally agree with you and TJ.
Rarely even take either of my Google linked Androids anywhere, simply coz, imo, Google can kindly fuck right off with that tracking shite.

By retarded NZ law, I'm not allowed to own any firearms, ever, which fuckin sucks, so my security system is just a compound bow and a vicious array of hunting knives/machetes, etc hanging throughout the house, -mostly Gerber & Spika, plus a few Leatherman multi-tools.
Infact, I've one oldskool machete that looks exactly like Emmas one, although it's nowhere near as well used and honed out.

Top Bottom