Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What do you think consciousness really is?

QuanChi

Elite
Is it really just a bunch of chemicals in the brain that let us experience reality like we do?

When you take a step back and think about it, consciousness is actually remarkable. It seems that we can have different levels of consciousness. I can be very connected with the external world, and present in the moment. But I can also be completely drawn into my thoughts and ignorant of everything around me. Am I actually controlling some dimension by doing this?

QuanChi

Elite
I have a tendency to get completely drawn into my thoughts sometimes when I’m driving and then I automatically snap back and I’m 15 minutes down the road. Did I lose consciousness, or just shift it internally?

QuanChi

Elite
But there is also a slider I have control of if I want. I can make myself aware of my surroundings, or draw myself into thoughts intentionally

But most of the time I am not aware of that slider and I am just jerked around from internal thoughts to external surroundings.

How can I have control of that and not have control of that at times?

QuanChi

Elite
Try and be intentionally aware of your surroundings. Mindfulness so to speak.

At some point that will end, but you never realize it happens

QuanChi

Elite
Is thinking consciousness? I don’t think so, because there is some observer in ourselves that has to perceive those thoughts. You couldn’t have ideas without being able to perceive the ideas in your head. So thoughts really aren’t consciousness

QuanChi

Elite
What is it? Who is the observer of our thoughts, the controller of our awareness? The obvious answer for each one of us is “I am”

But who is the “I”? What is the “I” doing?

Am is a the first person singularly present of “be”

To be or not to be?

I am or I am not

ChicagoFats

Legendary
Founder
Consciousness is reality. What about the subconscious?

Do we live in a simulation? I tend to think no, but I think it’s possible we do.

Elon musk touches on this in the full send podcast interview he did a couple weeks ago. It was a good listen. He talks about the brain and neeuralink a bit. Wish he would have gone deeper but it was still interesting.

Rebarcock.

Your(e)humble servant
Founder
Is thinking consciousness? I don’t think so, because there is some observer in ourselves that has to perceive those thoughts. You couldn’t have ideas without being able to perceive the ideas in your head. So thoughts really aren’t consciousness
I haven't developed this thought.
Id consider our brains better than the best super computers/AI

So much external stimuli is processed and we never even think about it. If a bug or debris comes near your eye itll shut automatically.
Breathing same thing.
If AI can or CPU power can be mass connected can also collective consciousness via avenues we don't fully understand?

I'm not formulating this very well to get to this...
Mind body soul. But mind is bigger than brain. Brain is more genetically what you are born w like hardware.
I stay away from shit like this bc I've been to the edge and don't want a stubbed toe like you got @QuanChi

QuanChi

Elite
I haven't developed this thought.
Id consider our brains better than the best super computers/AI

So much external stimuli is processed and we never even think about it. If a bug or debris comes near your eye itll shut automatically.
Breathing same thing.
If AI can or CPU power can be mass connected can also collective consciousness via avenues we don't fully understand?

I'm not formulating this very well to get to this...
Mind body soul. But mind is bigger than brain. Brain is more genetically what you are born w like hardware.
I stay away from shit like this bc I've been to the edge and don't want a stubbed toe like you got @QuanChi
Will respond better tonight

Top Bottom