Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Were your parents cheap?

denn

Legendary
Founder
Raised by a single mother who had 3 kids to take care of. So yeah, she was cheap out of necessity. She did re-marry and the guy she married was a police officer and he was definitely cheap. I was almost out of HS at that point though

TopHook

Legendary
Founder
Both of my parents will shit all over “sale prices” but proudly point out the cost per ounce price on the aisle. It makes no difference to them, but I guess children of depression/farmers.
Granddad and dad were the same way. We weren't wanting but he taught us the difference between need and want. Grandad came from the other Carolina with $20 in his pocket. Started a timber business. He was the last person in Carolina to use mules to haul the timber.

BurntJ

B2B Champ/ Feels Great to be King!
Founder
Not poor but frugal. Most of our friends got new cars every year of HS. We had used cars....albeit I did have a 65 Mustang. My parents big priority was having EVERYHING paid for so we always grew up around responsible spending teachings.

They tended to get annoyed with the way we live BUT I am much better than my brother. He makes a ton and spends 2 tons. Literally my 16 year old nephew drives a Tesla like he does. We recently had a discussion about colleges and his future career.....he wants to be a Marine Biologist...which apparently dont make much (under $100k ave). My brothers response to "how's that gonna work out long term for him..."was....hopefully he will just become a veterinarian....and i can just buy him his own practice when he gets out of college..... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

My brother clearly learned NOTHING!! and My dad is rolling over in his grave! :ROFLMAO:

Both of my parents will shit all over “sale prices” but proudly point out the cost per ounce price on the aisle. It makes no difference to them, but I guess children of depression/farmers.

I’m 37 and do the exact same thing. I’ll check cost per ounce price to make sure I’m getting the best deal etc. I don’t eat expired food but I do like to be cheap. Paying in separates transactions with my family if we have 2 coupons to require so. I will spends thousands of dollars a playing golf, hunting, etc throughout the year so do spend money but i do a lot of that older timer shit

I’m 37 and do the exact same thing. I’ll check cost per ounce price to make sure I’m getting the best deal etc. I don’t eat expired food but I do like to be cheap. Paying in separates transactions with my family if we have 2 coupons to require so. I will spends thousands of dollars a playing golf, hunting, etc throughout the year so do spend money but i do a lot of that older timer shit
You won’t eat food if it’s past the date on the package/carton/etc??

We were extremely poor to start as my father started from the bottom and worked his way up the ranks to the highest paygrade you can get within military pay within the enlisted side from his specific branch he was in. My mother didn't work as she was a stay at home mom.

He maintained his frugal ways as we went up in class but we did upgrade to owning our own home and brand new vehicles. Most of his money went into investments.

As far as spending money on me he never really got me anything super expensive as the best thing I got was a Super Nintendo as a kid and then a lap top as graduation present. I purchased my own car and paid for my education which was free due to the running start program and I used the GI BILL to complete my degrees.

My father would embarrassingly attempt to haggle down prices for almost everything. We would still eat take out but it was never expensive. He would always look for a deal over comfortability, especially on plane flights. We would fly on flights that were early in the morning at 1-2 am and have three stops in the back of the plane instead of a nonstop flight mid day just to save $100. He then started to MAC flights for free so we would wait a day or two sometimes just to get a flight.

Personally, I'm glad he never really spoiled me outside of the laptop for graduation. I would've ended up as a POS human being as I would've had everything handed to me and never had to work for anything. Instead I had to earn most of what I received. I never got an allowance for chores. Doing the chores and good grades prevented me from getting my ass beat back before it became a thing to not beat your kids and turn your kids into pussies.

To this day if you were to ask my father for $400 because you're sick and dying he will act as though it's killing him to keep you alive. It makes me laugh but it is what it is.

We're about the same age. Before moving off grid I did the same thing. Even though I did eat all organic and mostly plant based whole foods at one point I would buy in bulk but on a per calorie basis to ensure a get the most bang per buck. Organic coconut cream was my go to as I would get 1,300 calories per $1.

As for things I would do for fun, flag football, basketball, frisbee gold, tennis, etc were all free. My spending all went into investing and I would time it to wait for crashes and invest as much as possible in what I studied for the last 1-4 years. I did this to eventually buy my freedom since I didn't have the patience as my father to retire after thirty years of slavery for a pension.

Now I have no Jew currency just real money and resources. I bater/trade for things I need within our off grid community. Right now I'm going heavy on weapons, ammo and security. All I had to start was a 12 gage and a 9 mil with a small amount of ammo. I have rarely hunted but I am looking to try it out here soon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom