Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

US making moves on Strategic Long Range Cannon

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Lmfao at a cannon being able to shoot targets 1000 miles away. I'd love to see how they think they can defy the laws of physics in such a way to eliminate air resistance, amongst many other things that would have to be done to make such a thing possible. Ridiculous.

America 1st

The best poster on the board! Trumps lover! 🇺🇸
Founder
Lmfao at a cannon being able to shoot targets 1000 miles away. I'd love to see how they think they can defy the laws of physics in such a way to eliminate air resistance, amongst many other things that would have to be done to make such a thing possible. Ridiculous.
They’re banking BIGLY on it, and at a cost effective position, compared to hypersonic munitions.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
They’re banking BIGLY on it, and at a cost effective position, compared to hypersonic munitions.

Unless they have some new alien technology, in which case they'd likely not even need bullets, this is just pie in the sky nonsense. The speed you'd have to launch a projectile to go 1000 miles, with the air slowing it down every second of the way, would not be possible. That much force could not be contained in a gun, and even if it could, I seriously doubt the bullets could withstand it. Even the biggest naval guns ever built can shoot targets like 20-30 miles away. 1000?! No.

America 1st

Founder
Unless they have some new alien technology, in which case they'd likely not even need bullets, this is just pie in the sky nonsense. The speed you'd have to launch a projectile to go 1000 miles, with the air slowing it down every second of the way, would not be possible. That much force could not be contained in a gun, and even if it could, I seriously doubt the bullets could withstand it. Even the biggest naval guns ever built can shoot targets like 20-30 miles away. 1000?! No.
The shell itself would have propulsion or be similar to the Navy’s HVP.

They got 50 miles at Mach 7.3 with those dinky things.

Their computer models all suggest they can do it and companies have already been contracted to build the different systems necessary. There is a report due back later this year to confirm whether or not it’s achievable.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
The shell itself would have propulsion or be similar to the Navy’s HVP.

They got 50 miles at Mach 7.3 with those dinky things.

Their computer models all suggest they can do it and companies have already been contracted to build the different systems necessary. There is a report due back later this year to confirm whether or not it’s achievable.

Ah, so not really a gun and bullet by traditional definitions. Almost like a rocket without a warhead, I suppose. What is the advantage over a rocket or missile?

America 1st

Founder
Ah, so not really a gun and bullet by traditional definitions. Almost like a rocket without a warhead, I suppose. What is the advantage over a rocket or missile?
Would cost much less than these hypersonic missiles that are insanely expensive and will never be enough of.

It would be like a getting the best of both worlds by using the benefits of the traditional gun and bullet then using propellants and other casing shedding technology to finish the job.

They will be GPS guided as well so the idea is to use 4-16 gun batteries to drop ordinance instead of 1 missile on air defense systems.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Would cost much less than these hypersonic missiles that are insanely expensive and will never be enough of.

It would be like a getting the best of both worlds by using the benefits of the traditional gun and bullet then using propellants and other casing shedding technology to finish the job.

They will be GPS guided as well so the idea is to use 4-16 gun batteries to drop ordinance instead of 1 missile on air defense systems.

Sounds like a missile, just made of lead and not packing an explosive charge, haha. Interesting.

America 1st

Founder
Sounds like a missile, just made of lead and not packing an explosive charge, haha. Interesting.
They might have an explosive component but the idea would be to get rid of the engines and bulk.

They obviously want to see if they can eventually morph that technology for use on tactical nukes.

The Army’s Long Range Strategic Fires program is essentially their only concern right now. They are pouring everything they got into new cannons and howitzers to keep the cost down for the Air Force.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
They might have an explosive component but the idea would be to get rid of the engines and bulk.

They obviously want to see if they can eventually morph that technology for use on tactical nukes.

The Army’s Long Range Strategic Fires program is essentially their only concern right now. They are pouring everything they got into new cannons and howitzers to keep the cost down for the Air Force.

Sounding more like a missile with every post you make, haha. So it is self propelled, gps guided, and may carry explosives? Sounds like a missile, but the launch is assisted with an electromagnetic push out of the barrel. Is that the main thing that is new here? Using electromagnetic energy to launch? Like a rail gun/missile?

America 1st

Founder
Sounding more like a missile with every post you make, haha. So it is self propelled, gps guided, and may carry explosives? Sounds like a missile, but the launch is assisted with an electromagnetic push out of the barrel. Is that the main thing that is new here? Using electromagnetic energy to launch? Like a rail gun/missile?
They are studying electromagnetic but the conversation has revolved around conventional explosives to date.

Could be self propelled. It might not necessarily have that ability but I wouldn’t be surprised if it did.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
So its basically not a cannon at all. Ok.

I'm going to build a hang glider that can fly into space! It is going to have an airtight skin made of metal, and a heat shield underneath of tiles. It also is going to have an engine powered by liquid rocket fuel, as well as a huge external, detachable fuel tank, and 2 solid rocket boosters that will assist with takeoff, but be dropped when my glider reaches a certain altitude. Yep, a space traveling hang glider, I tell you what.

TJHall1

Legendary
I recently got a new pellet gun for shooting squirrels and rabbits:

rpg-soldier-600x400.jpg

America 1st

Founder
I'm going to build a hang glider that can fly into space! It is going to have an airtight skin made of metal, and a heat shield underneath of tiles. It also is going to have an engine powered by liquid rocket fuel, as well as a huge external, detachable fuel tank, and 2 solid rocket boosters that will assist with takeoff, but be dropped when my glider reaches a certain altitude. Yep, a space traveling hang glider, I tell you what.
US Army gonna US Army.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
800px-800_mm_gun_gustav_in_Soviet_Union_1941.jpg

The gun weighed 1,400 tons and the projectiles weighed something like 1,400 pounds. It could fire 29 miles.

Think of being able to shoot a bull 29 miles, almost a 100 years ago.

Didn't that thing only fire a few times? The Nazis were good at over building shit. Good Lord, what a ridiculous gun.

TJHall1

Legendary
Didn't that thing only fire a few times? The Nazis were good at over building shit. Good Lord, what a ridiculous gun.
Yet, the Gustav was only used in combat once, for twelve days, at the siege of Sevastopol. Positioning the railgun outside of Sevastopol was an ordeal, requiring 4,000 men working five weeks, building specialized railway tracks. For all the effort and expense, the railgun was fired just 47 times. After Sevastopol, the Gustav was never used again.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
800px-800_mm_gun_gustav_in_Soviet_Union_1941.jpg

The gun weighed 1,400 tons and the projectiles weighed something like 1,400 pounds. It could fire 29 miles.

Think of being able to shoot a bull 29 miles, almost a 100 years ago.

Yep, only fired a few dozen rounds according to this article. Sums up Hitler and the Nazis pretty well.

"The Heavy Gustav fired a total of 48 shots at Sevastopol, mostly on Soviet forts. It never fired in anger again. Berlin blew more than 1,000 tons of steel, thousands of man-hours and millions of Reichsmarks for just 48 shots in a war where steel, labor and treasure were in limited supply."

1*cMRxI6oaPTS7_MtrLUJWOw.jpeg

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder
Yet, the Gustav was only used in combat once, for twelve days, at the siege of Sevastopol. Positioning the railgun outside of Sevastopol was an ordeal, requiring 4,000 men working five weeks, building specialized railway tracks. For all the effort and expense, the railgun was fired just 47 times. After Sevastopol, the Gustav was never used again.

Haha, damnit...was just duckduckgoing that info. The Nazis built alot of amazing things, but much of it too impractical or too complicated.

GarnetPild

Legendary
Founder

"The Heavy Gustav fired a total of 48 shots at Sevastopol, mostly on Soviet forts. It never fired in anger again. Berlin blew more than 1,000 tons of steel, thousands of man-hours and millions of Reichsmarks for just 48 shots in a war where steel, labor and treasure were in limited supply."

Imagine what America would have done with an extra 1,000+ tons of steel, millions of dollars, and 4,000 extra men working for a month or two! We wouldn't have made some ridiculous, impractical cannon, I guarantee you that. We could have built a few dozen Sherman tanks, or a million other better things than that Nazi monstrosity...but it still is a badass gun😎

America 1st

Founder
Didn’t the Nazis do this back in the day? Damn they were ahead of their time.
Union and Confederate forces used them as well.

“The Confederates were the first to deploy a railroad gun in combat—a thirty-two-pounder Brooke Naval Rifle that was mounted on a flatcar and protected by a sloping casemate of railroad iron. It was described as looking like a land version of the ironclad CSS Virginia and was first used in artillery duels at the Battle of Fair Oaks in June 1862 and was used a month later during the Battle of Savage’s Station to stop the Union advance on Richmond.”

Latest posts

Top Bottom